Sign in with
Your question

Extremely wierd behavior with ASRock 939 Dual Sata2

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2006 6:24:42 PM

Hi everyone. new here. I have an extremely wierd issue after upgrading recently.

I purchased:

AS Rock 939 Dual Sata 2 motherboard
AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800
2 gig of DDR 400

I had:
Nvidia 5600 ultra (AGP)
Maxtor 120 IDE 133 hard drive

Hoped to use this as an upgrade path later switching to a PCIe video and SATA2 drives but for now keeping the AGP and hard drive I had. The system would not install windows 2000 until I flashed the bios with the AGP fifo setting. After this the OS installed ok. Games ran stuttery so I had to use the /usepmtimer flag in the boot.ini file.

The system will run a burn in test 24 hours with no errors at all appearing. You can play hard games with 100% processor usage for hours and it is cool and stable....

But... it seems that at certain times the PC will simply reboot about 3 times in a row. No matter what you are doing. I have saw it reboot simply setting at the desktop and then reboot again before the OS even gets loaded.

After this is past you can game hard for 4 hours with no trouble lol. I have played with about everything I can think of. I have uped the processor voltage to 1.350 and updated all drivers. There is nothing installed on the machine but a fresh install of windows 2000 professional and all updates and service packs along with a couple of games.

At this point I am about clueless. Everytime I think I have nailed it down it simply reboots. At this point it does not even happen every day... It may do it saturday and then monday running all day sunday fine. The system can run a 24 hour burn in test with no trouble but can randomly reboot on you and what is even wierder is that it seems to happen around 3 - 4 pm in the evening. Which made me disable all power settings and such as well to no avail.

Anyone have a clue on this or perhaps experienced such?
April 28, 2006 6:27:38 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone. new here. I have an extremely wierd issue after upgrading recently.

I purchased:

AS Rock 939 Dual Sata 2 motherboard
AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800
2 gig of DDR 400

I had:
Nvidia 5600 ultra (AGP)
Maxtor 120 IDE 133 hard drive

Hoped to use this as an upgrade path later switching to a PCIe video and SATA2 drives but for now keeping the AGP and hard drive I had. The system would not install windows 2000 until I flashed the bios with the AGP fifo setting. After this the OS installed ok. Games ran stuttery so I had to use the /usepmtimer flag in the boot.ini file.

The system will run a burn in test 24 hours with no errors at all appearing. You can play hard games with 100% processor usage for hours and it is cool and stable....

But... it seems that at certain times the PC will simply reboot about 3 times in a row. No matter what you are doing. I have saw it reboot simply setting at the desktop and then reboot again before the OS even gets loaded.

After this is past you can game hard for 4 hours with no trouble lol. I have played with about everything I can think of. I have uped the processor voltage to 1.350 and updated all drivers. There is nothing installed on the machine but a fresh install of windows 2000 professional and all updates and service packs along with a couple of games.

At this point I am about clueless. Everytime I think I have nailed it down it simply reboots. At this point it does not even happen every day... It may do it saturday and then monday running all day sunday fine. The system can run a 24 hour burn in test with no trouble but can randomly reboot on you and what is even wierder is that it seems to happen around 3 - 4 pm in the evening. Which made me disable all power settings and such as well to no avail.

Anyone have a clue on this or perhaps experienced such?

I have the same motherboard. Did you install the graphics drivers on the CD BEFORE you installed your video card drivers? No doiing this will cause all sorts of weird behavoir from crashes to random restarts.

Random restarts could also be a virus or temp issues. Check your CPU temp while playing a game to see where it is. Anything below around 65C is OK (but anything over 50C is a bit warm).
April 28, 2006 6:34:11 PM

HI there and thanks for the reply. I did install the AGP driver first, then the nvida graphics drivers after. Also installed the AMD cool and quiet driver... The CPU temp never gets over 41C and the drive around 32C.

I also downloaded the latest BIOS that ASRock has for the board (they have released 3 since I bought it!) and flashed the BIOS again. Thinking I had it whipped it rebooted the following day like usual lol.
Related resources
April 28, 2006 6:38:57 PM

Quote:
HI there and thanks for the reply. I did install the AGP driver first, then the nvida graphics drivers after. Also installed the AMD cool and quiet driver... The CPU temp never gets over 41C and the drive around 32C.

I also downloaded the latest BIOS that ASRock has for the board (they have released 3 since I bought it!) and flashed the BIOS again. Thinking I had it whipped it rebooted the following day like usual lol.

Do a clean reinstall of Windows since you flashed the BIOS. Also try going to the manufactors website for your hard drive and downloading their tools. Run a test and see if the hard drive passes. If not, it might be try for a RMA on the motherboard.

If you still have problems after the reinstall you pretty much ruled out Windows as the problem. So its a useful (yet highly annoying) step.
April 28, 2006 8:22:21 PM

Also make sure you have the 'automaticly reboot' option turned OFF in windows. This way you'll get a blue screen with at least some kind of error on it you can report.

also check your power strip/surge protector. how old is it? .. more than 2 years and it should be replaced.
April 29, 2006 12:50:10 AM

I also have an asrock 939 sata2...using my 6800gt AGP since i built it...all is fine. There is a few overclocker / third party BIOS files for it around. I'm using an OCWorkbench BIOS...works just fine. Could be your PSU as posted elsewhere here. check out OCW's forums...they have a sticky thread devoted to this board - I believe his name is Rhino. Good luck...I'm happy with this board - cheap, stable, and overclockable. Hope it works out.
!