word.doc pictures

Bling

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

I use Windows98 but don't have `MS Word`. So to view pictures sent to me
in the `.doc` format I've used `wordviewer97` which has been made available
by Microsoft for just this purpose.
However, my pictures are not opening properly anymore, they are in the
colors of blue and red only. Thinking my viewer was broken I redownloaded
the 97 viewer but with no change to the results. I then deleted my 97 viewer
and downloaded the `wordviewer 2003`. This gave me the message, "requires a
newer version of windows".
Is this an example of Microsoft trying to force people to upgrade from
Win98 to XP?
They might find instead that people will `upgrade` to an open source OS
instead.

"bling" <blingbling@wikipedia.com> wrote in

> I use Windows98 but don't have `MS Word`. So to view pictures sent to
> me
> in the `.doc` format I've used `wordviewer97` which has been made
> available by Microsoft for just this purpose.
> However, my pictures are not opening properly anymore, they are in
> the
> colors of blue and red only. Thinking my viewer was broken I
> redownloaded the 97 viewer but with no change to the results. I then
> deleted my 97 viewer and downloaded the `wordviewer 2003`. This gave me
> the message, "requires a newer version of windows".

Try the Word 97-2000 Viwer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0e56d944-38f6-4eb5-
aca6-8bd280d5e6b1&DisplayLang=en

The above is one long line.

Even better would be to get the sender to stop sending you pictures in a
Word file. Have them send JPEG files.

"bling" <blingbling@wikipedia.com> wrote in message...

> I use Windows98 but don't have `MS Word`. So to view pictures sent to
me
> in the `.doc` format I've used `wordviewer97` which has been made
available
> by Microsoft for just this purpose.
> However, my pictures are not opening properly anymore, they are in the
> colors of blue and red only. Thinking my viewer was broken I
redownloaded
> the 97 viewer but with no change to the results. I then deleted my 97
viewer
> and downloaded the `wordviewer 2003`. This gave me the message, "requires
> newer version of windows".

I don't have an explanation for the red-blue limitation - except that maybe
the sender messed up the .doc on Save. Have you checked the SAME file on
another system that is equipped to view the .doc files directly with MS
Word?

> Is this an example of Microsoft trying to force people to upgrade from
> Win98 to XP?
> They might find instead that people will `upgrade` to an open source OS
> instead.

I think it is a blessing that MS offers the Viewer(s) for free. I don't
use/have the MS wordprocessing suite of programs myself (I use WordPerfect),
but the MS Viewer has come in handy. There are two versions the viewer and
the previous one that supports ('97-2000) is still available since I
recently fetched it for a friends' win98se system. The newer version
('97-2000) made no sense on the win98 pc since the minimum requirements
could not be met.

Open source solution is my tendency too. Knoppix, and now Mepis
(http://www.mepis.com/) seem to be wonderful lowcost solutions for even
modest (P-I or P-II's) systems.

Bling

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

Thanks Ogg and FuzzyLogic.
I'll have a better look around and try the older viewer.
People seem to be using Word (and pdf) more and more. MS has got us by
the balls and I reckon Adobe wants to get in the same position ;-).
Regarding Open Source. I like Mepis but get irritated by them still
demanding a login. Although they *do* have a super selection of games, a
good touch typing course, and even a very extensive Planetarium. I'm
concentrating on Debian though and waiting for the official release of
`Sarge`, which has been said might be the end of this month!

Cheers.

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> "bling" <blingbling@wikipedia.com> wrote in message...
>
> > I use Windows98 but don't have `MS Word`. So to view pictures sent to
> me
> > in the `.doc` format I've used `wordviewer97` which has been made
> available
> > by Microsoft for just this purpose.
> > However, my pictures are not opening properly anymore, they are in
the
> > colors of blue and red only. Thinking my viewer was broken I
> redownloaded
> > the 97 viewer but with no change to the results. I then deleted my 97
> viewer
> > and downloaded the `wordviewer 2003`. This gave me the message,
"requires
> > newer version of windows".
>
> I don't have an explanation for the red-blue limitation - except that
maybe
> the sender messed up the .doc on Save. Have you checked the SAME file on
> another system that is equipped to view the .doc files directly with MS
> Word?
>

> > Is this an example of Microsoft trying to force people to upgrade
from
> > Win98 to XP?
> > They might find instead that people will `upgrade` to an open source
OS
> > instead.
>
> I think it is a blessing that MS offers the Viewer(s) for free. I don't
> use/have the MS wordprocessing suite of programs myself (I use
WordPerfect),
> but the MS Viewer has come in handy. There are two versions the viewer
and
> the previous one that supports ('97-2000) is still available since I
> recently fetched it for a friends' win98se system. The newer version
> ('97-2000) made no sense on the win98 pc since the minimum requirements
> could not be met.
>
> Open source solution is my tendency too. Knoppix, and now Mepis
> (http://www.mepis.com/) seem to be wonderful lowcost solutions for even
> modest (P-I or P-II's) systems.

Bling

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the link. I now have a working (albeit with red and blue pics
only) Word viewer, at least I can read the text again.

> Thanks Ogg and FuzzyLogic.
> I'll have a better look around and try the older viewer.
> People seem to be using Word (and pdf) more and more. MS has got us by
> the balls and I reckon Adobe wants to get in the same position ;-).
> Regarding Open Source. I like Mepis but get irritated by them still
> demanding a login. Although they *do* have a super selection of games, a
> good touch typing course, and even a very extensive Planetarium. I'm
> concentrating on Debian though and waiting for the official release of
> `Sarge`, which has been said might be the end of this month!
>
> Cheers.
>

> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> > "bling" <blingbling@wikipedia.com> wrote in message...
> >
> > > I use Windows98 but don't have `MS Word`. So to view pictures sent
> > me
> > > in the `.doc` format I've used `wordviewer97` which has been made
> > available
> > > by Microsoft for just this purpose.
> > > However, my pictures are not opening properly anymore, they are in
> the
> > > colors of blue and red only. Thinking my viewer was broken I
> > redownloaded
> > > the 97 viewer but with no change to the results. I then deleted my 97
> > viewer
> > > and downloaded the `wordviewer 2003`. This gave me the message,
> "requires
> > > newer version of windows".
> >
> > I don't have an explanation for the red-blue limitation - except that
> maybe
> > the sender messed up the .doc on Save. Have you checked the SAME file
on
> > another system that is equipped to view the .doc files directly with MS
> > Word?
> >

> > > Is this an example of Microsoft trying to force people to upgrade
> from
> > > Win98 to XP?
> > > They might find instead that people will `upgrade` to an open
source
> OS
> > > instead.
> >
> > I think it is a blessing that MS offers the Viewer(s) for free. I don't
> > use/have the MS wordprocessing suite of programs myself (I use
> WordPerfect),
> > but the MS Viewer has come in handy. There are two versions the viewer
> and
> > the previous one that supports ('97-2000) is still available since I
> > recently fetched it for a friends' win98se system. The newer version
> > ('97-2000) made no sense on the win98 pc since the minimum requirements
> > could not be met.
> >
> > Open source solution is my tendency too. Knoppix, and now Mepis
> > (http://www.mepis.com/) seem to be wonderful lowcost solutions for even
> > modest (P-I or P-II's) systems.

Bling

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

Found the problem. Changed my 32 bit colors to 16. Can see the pictures now.
Must have happened when I upgraded to a 17" screen.

Thanks for the help

> Thanks for the link. I now have a working (albeit with red and blue
pics
> only) Word viewer, at least I can read the text again.
>

> "bling" <blingbling@wikipedia.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Ogg and FuzzyLogic.
> > I'll have a better look around and try the older viewer.
> > People seem to be using Word (and pdf) more and more. MS has got us
by
> > the balls and I reckon Adobe wants to get in the same position ;-).
> > Regarding Open Source. I like Mepis but get irritated by them still
> > demanding a login. Although they *do* have a super selection of games, a
> > good touch typing course, and even a very extensive Planetarium. I'm
> > concentrating on Debian though and waiting for the official release of
> > `Sarge`, which has been said might be the end of this month!
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message

> > > me
> > > available
> > the
> > > redownloaded
> > > viewer
> > "requires
> > >
> > > I don't have an explanation for the red-blue limitation - except that
> > maybe
> > > the sender messed up the .doc on Save. Have you checked the SAME file
> on
> > > another system that is equipped to view the .doc files directly with
MS
> > > Word?

> > from
> source
> > OS
> > >
> > > I think it is a blessing that MS offers the Viewer(s) for free. I
don't
> > > use/have the MS wordprocessing suite of programs myself (I use
> > WordPerfect),
> > > but the MS Viewer has come in handy. There are two versions the
viewer
> > and
> > > the previous one that supports ('97-2000) is still available since I
> > > recently fetched it for a friends' win98se system. The newer version
> > > ('97-2000) made no sense on the win98 pc since the minimum
requirements
> > > could not be met.
> > >
> > > Open source solution is my tendency too. Knoppix, and now Mepis
> > > (http://www.mepis.com/) seem to be wonderful lowcost solutions for
even
> > > modest (P-I or P-II's) systems.

ah... unusual to loose colour-depth when you were still set at 32-bit. But
now that you mention that you changed monitor and likely a different brand
too, your system probably lacked the proper 32-bit drivers. (?)

Glad things are back to normal now, and not the fault of the Viewer.