Workstation sees wireless router but can not connect

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have a Windows'98SE computer with Linksys WMP11 wireless card and
Linksys BEFW11S4 router.

I can see the SSID of the router (with 50%-70% signal) but can not
connect.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this situation?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Using the proper type of encryption and password/passphrase to connect?

"Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Windows'98SE computer with Linksys WMP11 wireless card and
> Linksys BEFW11S4 router.
>
> I can see the SSID of the router (with 50%-70% signal) but can not
> connect.
>
> Any suggestions on troubleshooting this situation?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Richard,

Thank you very much for the response.

> Using the proper type of encryption and password/passphrase to connect?

Both Router and workstation have WEP disabled. No MAC filtering on the
router either.

Eugene

Eugene F. wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Thank you very much for the response.
>
>> Using the proper type of encryption and password/passphrase to
>> connect?
>
> Both Router and workstation have WEP disabled. No MAC filtering on the
> router either.
>
> Eugene

Disable the ethernet NIC and modem, if any, reboot. What does the DHCP
client table in the router show about the new wireless? Do you see the
wireless NIC in the active wireless MAC table? Enable Netbios over
TCP/IP on the workstation. Run command, winipcfg /all and post the
results.

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Q,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I do not have other NIC cards (nor on-board chips). I just have
LinkSys Wireless PCI card ver. 2.7.

IP Config shows three Ethernet adaptors: two of them - "PPP" and my
wireless card.

<<< What does the DHCP client table in the router show about the new
wireless? >>>

Wireless is listed there with proper IP Address (192.168.1.102) and
correct MAC.

<<< Do you see the wireless NIC in the active wireless MAC table? >>>

Yes, it is listed as #1.

<<< Enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the workstation. >>>

Not sure how to do it.

<<< Run command, winipcfg /all and post the results. >>>

Here it goes:

IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Primary WINS server: <blank>
Secondary WINS server: <blank>

I reinstalled the card driver (as advised by Linksys Tech Support) to
no avail.

Right now I have intermittent and mostly negative results:
1. Occasionally I can establish connection with the router
2. When connection established - PING returns either only timouts (most
of the time)or timeouts and normal tramsmissions. No pattern can be
observed.

I have NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2003. Disabling does not solve
the problem.

I noticed Microsoft security patch KB891711 in both StartUp (via
MSConfig) and Add/Delete Software (Control Panel). Uninstalling it did
not help either.

Eugene F. wrote:
> Q,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply.
>
> I do not have other NIC cards (nor on-board chips). I just have
> LinkSys Wireless PCI card ver. 2.7.
>
> IP Config shows three Ethernet adaptors: two of them - "PPP" and my
> wireless card.
>
> <<< What does the DHCP client table in the router show about the new
> wireless? >>>
>
> Wireless is listed there with proper IP Address (192.168.1.102) and
> correct MAC.
>
> <<< Do you see the wireless NIC in the active wireless MAC table? >>>
>
> Yes, it is listed as #1.
>
> <<< Enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the workstation. >>>
>
> Not sure how to do it.
>
> <<< Run command, winipcfg /all and post the results. >>>
>
> Here it goes:
>
> IP Address: 192.168.1.102
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
> Primary WINS server: <blank>
> Secondary WINS server: <blank>
>
> I reinstalled the card driver (as advised by Linksys Tech Support) to
> no avail.
>
> Right now I have intermittent and mostly negative results:
> 1. Occasionally I can establish connection with the router
> 2. When connection established - PING returns either only timouts
> (most of the time)or timeouts and normal tramsmissions. No pattern
> can be observed.
>
> I have NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2003. Disabling does not solve
> the problem.
>
> I noticed Microsoft security patch KB891711 in both StartUp (via
> MSConfig) and Add/Delete Software (Control Panel). Uninstalling it
> did not help either.

Find the application winsockxpfix.exe via Google. This will fix the
underlying programming for TCP/IP.

Mike

Splendid

Eugene F. wrote:
> I have a Windows'98SE computer with Linksys WMP11 wireless card and
> Linksys BEFW11S4 router.
>
> I can see the SSID of the router (with 50%-70% signal) but can not
> connect.
>
> Any suggestions on troubleshooting this situation?

You've been given some good suggestions.
I've had problems that were fixed by flashing the access point.
I also have a bunch of usb wireless interfaces that work well on some
computers and not at all on others. That's why we have junk piles ;-)
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Mike,

<<< I also have a bunch of usb wireless interfaces that work well on
some
computers and not at all on others >>>

I had this very configuration working just fine (the same wireless
card, the same desktop, the same physical location). Probably should
look deeper into Win'98SE networking settings.

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Q,

<<< Find the application winsockxpfix.exe via Google. This will fix
the
underlying programming for TCP/IP. >>>

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try and report back.

Eugene

> Q,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply.
>
> I do not have other NIC cards (nor on-board chips). I just have
> LinkSys Wireless PCI card ver. 2.7.
>
> IP Config shows three Ethernet adaptors: two of them - "PPP" and my
> wireless card.
>
> <<< What does the DHCP client table in the router show about the new
> wireless? >>>
>
> Wireless is listed there with proper IP Address (192.168.1.102) and
> correct MAC.
>
> <<< Do you see the wireless NIC in the active wireless MAC table? >>>
>
> Yes, it is listed as #1.
>
> <<< Enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the workstation. >>>
>
> Not sure how to do it.
>
> <<< Run command, winipcfg /all and post the results. >>>
>
> Here it goes:
>
> IP Address: 192.168.1.102
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
> Primary WINS server: <blank>
> Secondary WINS server: <blank>
>
> I reinstalled the card driver (as advised by Linksys Tech Support) to
> no avail.
>
> Right now I have intermittent and mostly negative results:
> 1. Occasionally I can establish connection with the router
> 2. When connection established - PING returns either only timouts (most
> of the time)or timeouts and normal tramsmissions. No pattern can be
> observed.
>
> I have NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2003. Disabling does not solve
> the problem.
>
> I noticed Microsoft security patch KB891711 in both StartUp (via
> MSConfig) and Add/Delete Software (Control Panel). Uninstalling it did
> not help either.

Have you tried running the Home Networking wizard that comes with NIS? Been
awhile since I've run Win98, but I seem to remember a similiar problem I had
with an older Linksys BEFW11S4 router and Win98 and doing that cleared up
the problem for me. For some reason disabling NIS didn't help but running
that wizard did.

Good luck.

Riffrafter wrote:
> "Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Q,
>>
>>Thank you very much for the reply.
>>
>>I do not have other NIC cards (nor on-board chips). I just have
>>LinkSys Wireless PCI card ver. 2.7.
>>
>>IP Config shows three Ethernet adaptors: two of them - "PPP" and my
>>wireless card.
>>
>><<< What does the DHCP client table in the router show about the new
>>wireless? >>>
>>
>>Wireless is listed there with proper IP Address (192.168.1.102) and
>>correct MAC.
>>
>><<< Do you see the wireless NIC in the active wireless MAC table? >>>
>>
>>Yes, it is listed as #1.
>>
>><<< Enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the workstation. >>>
>>
>>Not sure how to do it.
>>
>><<< Run command, winipcfg /all and post the results. >>>
>>
>>Here it goes:
>>
>>IP Address: 192.168.1.102
>>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>>DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
>>Primary WINS server: <blank>
>>Secondary WINS server: <blank>
>>
>>I reinstalled the card driver (as advised by Linksys Tech Support) to
>>no avail.
>>
>>Right now I have intermittent and mostly negative results:
>>1. Occasionally I can establish connection with the router
>>2. When connection established - PING returns either only timouts (most
>>of the time)or timeouts and normal tramsmissions. No pattern can be
>>observed.
>>
>>I have NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2003. Disabling does not solve
>>the problem.
>>
>>I noticed Microsoft security patch KB891711 in both StartUp (via
>>MSConfig) and Add/Delete Software (Control Panel). Uninstalling it did
>>not help either.
>>

> Have you tried running the Home Networking wizard that comes with NIS? Been
> awhile since I've run Win98, but I seem to remember a similiar problem I had
> with an older Linksys BEFW11S4 router and Win98 and doing that cleared up
> the problem for me. For some reason disabling NIS didn't help but running
> that wizard did.
>
> Good luck.

WinXP also has a network setup wizard that will prepare a script for
Win98 machines.. That might be worth a try if a WinXP machine is available.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Yes. I ran through the entire uninstall/reinstall process:

1. Unistalled the software
2. Removed the wireless card
3. Reinstalled the software
4. Reinstalled the card
5. Re-run the wizard

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

>From my older posting:

<<< 2. When connection established - PING returns either only timouts
(most of the time)or timeouts and normal tramsmissions. No pattern can
be observed. >>>

Here is an example:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Control-C

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Q,

<<< Find the application winsockxpfix.exe via Google. This will fix
the underlying programming for TCP/IP. >>>

I used LSPFix utility that seems to fix the same type of problem as
WinsockXPFix but is suitable for Win '98SE. It did not find any
problems. Should I try WinsockXPFix nevertheless?

TIA, Eugene

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

if you r using a firewall...then there is a possibility that it mite b
causing a problem.

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

<<< if you r using a firewall...then there is a possibility that it
mite b causing a problem. >>>

I use Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2003 that has a firewall
component. The erratic behavior I experience happens both with NIS
enabled and disabled.

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.modems.cable,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

This looks like a bad signal!

We had a similar problem with a LAN at a multi-OS company network. When
a faulty cable was replaced it worked perfect.

So you should just move your computer closer to the router and remove
obstructions. In case it is obvious the signal should be just fine, it
could also be possible that the wireless antenna is damaged.

I _DOUBT_ this has anything to do with software.

Eugene F. wrote:
> Here is an example:

> Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=150
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=150
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=150
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=150
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=150
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150
>

> Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
>
> Packets: Sent = 31, Received = 7, Lost = 24 (77% loss),
>
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
>
> Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 1ms
>
> Control-C

Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor
Secondary function: Cluster commander