explorer.exe GPF at startup

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 27, 2005 12:56:02 AM

Hello

I have a Win98 SR2 system which is unable to complete startup. System boots
normally, logo screen comes up and go away, then the green screen background
appears and the taskbar can be seen briefly on screen, only to disappear
immediately. Then all that is left is the green backdrop and the mouse
pointer, nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-Del shows a completely empty task list.

So far I have tried the following:

- Safe mode
- Step by step mode, various combinations of drivers, modules, etc.
- Restoring various old registry backups
- Restoring original registry (system.1st)

Nothing works. Last attempt was to run a debugger on the whole thing, only
to find that in fact there is a GPF during explorer.exe's initial run. In
case it is of significance to someone, the offending instruction is at
0x402541, which is MOV ECX, [EAX]. The bad news is that at that moment EAX
contains 0, which at least explains the GPF itself. However, I still don't
feel like to backtrace the system to find out how that zero arrived there.
Besides, I would really prefer not to have to reinstall, there is simply too
much software already installed in the system.

Did anybody ever see something like this one before?

thanks in advance
cl.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:06:39 AM

The fact that Safe Mode cannot run suggests that you will have to
reinstall Windows. I suggest that you use a floppy Windows Starup disk
to boot the computer and then that you make backup copies of files you
cannot afford to use. You might be able to reinstall Windows without
damaging your important files, but why take the chance?

Then install Windows anew into a new, empty folder. The following
article explains how to install Windows into a new folder:

How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/...

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:06:40 AM

> The fact that Safe Mode cannot run suggests that you will have to
> reinstall Windows.

Yeah, that was exactly what I was afraid of... I suppose that I've got
something to spend my weekend on... Thanks anyway.

best regards
cl.
May 27, 2005 12:49:20 PM

"Claudio Lapidus" <Claudio Lapidus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have a Win98 SR2 system which is unable to complete startup. System boots
> normally, logo screen comes up and go away, then the green screen background
> appears and the taskbar can be seen briefly on screen, only to disappear
> immediately. Then all that is left is the green backdrop and the mouse
> pointer, nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-Del shows a completely empty task list.
>
> So far I have tried the following:
>
> - Safe mode
> - Step by step mode, various combinations of drivers, modules, etc.
> - Restoring various old registry backups
> - Restoring original registry (system.1st)

You might want to try reinstalling or repairing the explorer shell.

The basic steps are to change the shell= (via DOS) in system.ini to progman.exe
or winfile.exe. Boot to Windows and then use the progman/winfile interface to
do the repair. Reboot back to DOS and reinstate explorer.exe as the shell.

You'll find repair commands listed in below links.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249191

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194177

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293907
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:41:46 PM

Reinstalling Windows is not usually a solution for this problem.
First try restoring your Registry to a recent date just prior to the problem, by
starting in DOS mode and at the command prompt, type:
scanreg /restore
then select the most recent rb###.cab file dated prior to the problem, and follow
the prompts.

If that does not help, have a look at the links Bill Blanton provided. I suggest
you do an overinstall of Internet Explorer (the version you currently have
installed), as it is integrated in the Windows shell, and this often fixes the
problem you describe. See here for details:

Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/20...
or
http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
or
C:\Windows\Window~1

To overinstall IE6:
Run IE6Setup.exe
Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
Then reboot the computer.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm