AMD heat issues?

I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many posts
preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that includes:
ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.

The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as there can
be heat issues with AMD.

Would some of you wise people please comment on the heat issue, and on the
items proposed. I am a technical novice and have limited funds, but this
looks like something that will leave my current AMD K6-2, 192MB RAM with
shared video memory 8MB way behind.

Thanks.

John P.

Tim

JohnSP wrote:
> I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many
> posts preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that
> includes: ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
> AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
> 1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
> ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.
>
> The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as
> there can be heat issues with AMD.
>
> Would some of you wise people please comment on the heat issue, and
> on the items proposed. I am a technical novice and have limited
> funds, but this looks like something that will leave my current AMD
> K6-2, 192MB RAM with shared video memory 8MB way behind.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John P.

John,

I have always used AMD and am currently using an XP3000+ chip. No heat
problems with that (purchased it as "Processor in a Box" from AMD, with
their recommended heatsink). I did have some heat issues with a previous AMD
chip - that was an XP2200+ - which ran VERY hot!! Like I say, no problems
with the current one. Note that it's not an Athlon64 - my last upgrade was
an "intermediate" one, as I didn't want to buy a new motherboard at that
point.

Tim

"JohnSP" <petriejj@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many posts
> preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that includes:
> ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
> AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
> 1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
> ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.
>
> The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as there can
> be heat issues with AMD.

John,

I have the same processor on a Gigabyte board and no heat issues at all.
:0))

Iain

Just the opposite - Intel CPU's consume more power than AMD's.

-=tom=-

"JohnSP" <petriejj@bigpond.com> wrote:

>I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many posts
>preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that includes:
>ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
>AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
>1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
>ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.
>
>The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as there can
>be heat issues with AMD.
>
>Would some of you wise people please comment on the heat issue, and on the
>items proposed. I am a technical novice and have limited funds, but this
>looks like something that will leave my current AMD K6-2, 192MB RAM with
>shared video memory 8MB way behind.
>
>Thanks.
>
>John P.

Here's a Tom's Hardware report on some power figures:
<http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-19.html>
-=tom=-

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Here's a Tom's Hardware report on some power figures:
> <http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-19.html>
> -=tom=-
>

> "JohnSP" <petriejj@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>>I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many posts
>>preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that includes:
>>ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
>>AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
>>1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
>>ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.
>>
>>The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as there can
>>be heat issues with AMD.
>>
>>Would some of you wise people please comment on the heat issue, and on the
>>items proposed. I am a technical novice and have limited funds, but this
>>looks like something that will leave my current AMD K6-2, 192MB RAM with
>>shared video memory 8MB way behind.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>John P.

Running an AMD Athlon 64 3500 and no heat issues here.

there are more heat issues with Intel systems in 2005 than there ever was
for AMD systems back in the dark days of 2001/2002.

maybe the person quoting your systems should catch up with the times ;-) AMD
stop end CPU outputs about 70watts of heat. the top end Intel CPU does about
90-100.

and no, thats not because the intel is faster, because it is infact slower
than the AMD.

Anyway id recommend:

3200 Venice core A64
Any Nforce4 based 939 motherboard. DFI, Asus, Abit....
Gfx card is a bit below par for a system this good. recommend a 6600gt min,
or a 6800 standard.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"JohnSP" <petriejj@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many posts
> preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that includes:
> ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
> AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
> 1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
> ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.
>
> The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as there can
> be heat issues with AMD.
>
> Would some of you wise people please comment on the heat issue, and on the
> items proposed. I am a technical novice and have limited funds, but this
> looks like something that will leave my current AMD K6-2, 192MB RAM with
> shared video memory 8MB way behind.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John P.

Hi Tim

I am interested in how you went from an AMD2200 to a 3000 without changing
the motherboard. What motherboard do you have -- I have an AMD 2400 on a
particualr model of Jetway mobo and as far as I can tell , the board doesn't
support any cpu of a higher frequency.

Barry

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> JohnSP wrote:
> > I am looking at replacing my system. Over time, I have noticed many
> > posts preferring AMD chips for FS. I have a quote for a system that
> > includes: ABIT Ax8 Athlon 64/64FX S939 motherboard;
> > AMD Athlon 64 3000 Processor;
> > 1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM;
> > ABIT Radeon RX300SE 128MB, 64 bit, PCI.
> >
> > The person quoting prefers to build systems with Intel chips, as
> > there can be heat issues with AMD.
> >
> > Would some of you wise people please comment on the heat issue, and
> > on the items proposed. I am a technical novice and have limited
> > funds, but this looks like something that will leave my current AMD
> > K6-2, 192MB RAM with shared video memory 8MB way behind.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > John P.
>
> John,
>
> I have always used AMD and am currently using an XP3000+ chip. No heat
> problems with that (purchased it as "Processor in a Box" from AMD, with
> their recommended heatsink). I did have some heat issues with a previous
AMD
> chip - that was an XP2200+ - which ran VERY hot!! Like I say, no problems
> with the current one. Note that it's not an Athlon64 - my last upgrade was
> an "intermediate" one, as I didn't want to buy a new motherboard at that
> point.
>
> Tim

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

> Hi Tim
>
> I am interested in how you went from an AMD2200 to a 3000 without changing
> the motherboard. What motherboard do you have -- I have an AMD 2400 on a
> particualr model of Jetway mobo and as far as I can tell , the board
> doesn't
> support any cpu of a higher frequency.
>
> Barry

Speaking for myself, when I owned the AMD 2200+ CPU I later found I could go
up to an AMD 3000 CPU (Not A64) with a BIOS flash, this was on an EPOX board
(forgot the model name) Sometimes when a motherboard first comes out it can
only list the CPU's that are available at that time, but can later support
higher with an official BIOS flash or enthusiast experimentation if you know
what you are doing.

I doubt the Jetway board would have the flexibility of some of the higher
end boards? check the manufacturer web site.

Cheers.

Colin

Tim

Barry Ward wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> I am interested in how you went from an AMD2200 to a 3000 without
> changing the motherboard. What motherboard do you have -- I have an
> AMD 2400 on a particualr model of Jetway mobo and as far as I can
> tell , the board doesn't support any cpu of a higher frequency.
>
> Barry

Barry,

My motherboard is an MSI KT4V-L, with a max FSB of 333Hz - the CPU slotted
straight in. AMD do a 3000+ Barton core CPU which operates on a FSB of
333Hz, but you need to be careful as they also do one with an FSB of 400Hz,
which my mobo for one doesn't support. I did have to re-flash the BIOS
though, as initially the mobo didn't recognise the 3000+ and thought it was
a 2600+ or something.

Hope this helps.

Tim