Clogged Epson C84..Poor Customer Service

I posted a few months ago about my clogged Epson C84. I figured I would
just do an exchange since it is still under warranty...and that way I
wouldn't have to mess with trying to fix it myself. I just called them (it
was long distance!) and the guy didn't really care about helping me. He
said I need to buy another black cartridge before he can do anything, and an
exchange would be the last resort. I asked him if there is anybody locally
that can fix the printer and he said yes, but that I would be charged as
it's not covered under warranty. I thought that was weird so I asked him,
"What exactly IS covered under warranty?" and he said "Uh, me
troubleshooting the printer for you and exchanging it."

Anyway, I called their automated tech support and got the two places near me
that are authorized Epson repair centers. I called the first store and they
said yep, no problem. Just bring the printer down with proof of purchase
and they'll go ahead and do the exchange with Epson for me. I asked if
there was any charge for all of this and they said no.

I only bought the printer because it was so cheap (well, FREE after rebates)
and I will never again buy an Epson. I've always told everyone to avoid
Epson before buying this printer, and will continue to tell them to avoid
Epson especially after this. I had to laugh when he said he has to do a
bunch of troubleshooting steps before he can do an exchange. Luckily I used
my cell phone to call them [free long distance] but what about those who are
charged by the minute to call Epson?
6 answers Last reply
More about clogged epson poor customer service

    "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote in message
    [snipped rant]

    You think any other manufacturer would be better? Or perhaps you expect then
    just to provide you with a new printer just because you *say* it has a
    fault?

    I haven't had to deal with Epson warranty service is a long time, but if
    your experience is where they are at now, that's not a very good sign.

    It also seems unreasonable to force you to buy a new cartridge to test
    it. They should send you one for free, if that's needed. As long as
    the cartridge in the printer still has ink in it and it's OEM, Epson
    should be responsible for any testing procedures that require other
    parts or consumables.

    I certainly hope your experience is not the status quo with Epson these
    days.

    Why were you so opposed to Epson prior to getting this "free" printer?

    Art

    xNokia3390x wrote:

    > I posted a few months ago about my clogged Epson C84. I figured I would
    > just do an exchange since it is still under warranty...and that way I
    > wouldn't have to mess with trying to fix it myself. I just called them (it
    > was long distance!) and the guy didn't really care about helping me. He
    > said I need to buy another black cartridge before he can do anything, and an
    > exchange would be the last resort. I asked him if there is anybody locally
    > that can fix the printer and he said yes, but that I would be charged as
    > it's not covered under warranty. I thought that was weird so I asked him,
    > "What exactly IS covered under warranty?" and he said "Uh, me
    > troubleshooting the printer for you and exchanging it."
    >
    > Anyway, I called their automated tech support and got the two places near me
    > that are authorized Epson repair centers. I called the first store and they
    > said yep, no problem. Just bring the printer down with proof of purchase
    > and they'll go ahead and do the exchange with Epson for me. I asked if
    > there was any charge for all of this and they said no.
    >
    > I only bought the printer because it was so cheap (well, FREE after rebates)
    > and I will never again buy an Epson. I've always told everyone to avoid
    > Epson before buying this printer, and will continue to tell them to avoid
    > Epson especially after this. I had to laugh when he said he has to do a
    > bunch of troubleshooting steps before he can do an exchange. Luckily I used
    > my cell phone to call them [free long distance] but what about those who are
    > charged by the minute to call Epson?

    I wonder, are these printers prone to clogging? I recommended to my sister
    that she buy some aftermarket replacement cartridges (since I've been using
    them on my older Epson with no problem), but now she tells me her printer is
    seriously clogged.

    And now that I've gotten her into this trouble, what advice should I give
    her to get out of it? ;-)

    Thanks in advance,
    Doug

    "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote in message
    > I posted a few months ago about my clogged Epson C84. ...

    What brand? Where did you get them? How often does she print?

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:56:31 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >What brand? Where did you get them? How often does she print?

    to whom are you replying?

    Ask her to send me a private email requesting the Epson Cleaning Manual.

    It is free and she will not get any spam, I do not trade or sell names,
    I do not sell anything to people who make this request.

    The manual provides information how to resolve almost all clogs on Epson
    inkjet printers.

    Yes, they clog, yes often, more so with "compatible ink cartridges".

    Art

    Doug wrote:

    > I wonder, are these printers prone to clogging? I recommended to my sister
    > that she buy some aftermarket replacement cartridges (since I've been using
    > them on my older Epson with no problem), but now she tells me her printer is
    > seriously clogged.
    >
    > And now that I've gotten her into this trouble, what advice should I give
    > her to get out of it? ;-)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Doug
    >

    > "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I posted a few months ago about my clogged Epson C84. ...

Printers Epson Exchange Peripherals