rlstoner2004

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
So i finally scrapped up enough money for The AGP 6800GS on newegg... but no its not there? So i dont know what to do... :lol:

rlstoner2004

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ive heard the gs was a tad better, but i know very little as well so... You know what the differences will be between the two?

cleeve

Illustrious
The PCI express 6800 GS is a bit better than a PCI express X800 XL, especially when overclocked.

The AGP 6800 GS is not the same part as the PCI express 6800 GS though, it's just a rebadged 6800. The X800 XL in AGP is notably better than the AGP 6800 GS.

rlstoner2004

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
are there any better than the x800xl but not too much more expensive? newegg is out, and i have a fealing it will be a while...

pauldh

Illustrious
There are very few choices in AGP. 6800GS stock has dried up and they just don't seem to be worth the $200 asking price anyway. Only widely available card better than a X800XL would the 7800GS for around $270 and up. X850XT and X800XT would be better too, but prices are just about $300 and up. X850 pro is about equal to X800XL if you happen upon one of those.

pauldh

Illustrious
I have that same exact card; it's very nice and with it's higher clocks it's quicker than the XL for sure. Problem with buying AIW refurbs is that there is a very good chance that you will get nothing but the card, so kiss the other 5 pounds worth of goodies goodbye.

But, seeing how in AGP you can not touch X800XT performance for $218.00, if you are OK with just getting the card, go for it. It's much better than spending that kind of money on a much slower retail box 6800GS.

If you decide you really want the extra goodies, this card is about $280's new. Problem is the 7800GS can be found for that cost and in most games the 7800GS will take the victory.

rlstoner2004

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
what would i really be missing out on with the refurbashed?

I know the AIW has a lot of media software, but would that be about it?

pauldh

Illustrious
what would i really be missing out on with the refurbashed?

I know the AIW has a lot of media software, but would that be about it?

Look in the Newegg detailed pics. No remote control, no VIVO domino break out boxs, no cables/adaptors, no software. You could luck out and get everything, but given the price I doubt it. I'd only buy it if you will still be happy just getting the card, then if you get more...be thrilled.

But you will get a great AGP card for the money, you can download all the AIW drivers/ aps except ATI DVD, and you will be able to use the TV tuner as well. Pretty good deal and again considering what's available in that price range, you can't beat it unless you have $270+ for the 7800GS.