On board LAN

I have a computer I built myself last fall with a Shuttle AV49VN
motherboard. P4, 2.6 (2.0), 512 Mb Ram. Originally it had a Promise
Technology controller card in it for use with a 200 Gb drive. This
machine dual boots Windows 98 and XP Pro. The Promise controller had
always given me fits in the dual boot configuration, one of which was a
conflict with the onboard LAN. So I had disabled the LAN in BIOS and
installed another NIC which worked fine. I have now REMOVED the Promise
card, formatted the big drive in NTFS and am using it as a storage drive
in XP only. Since it's NTFS, Windows 98 doesn't even see it.
So I enabled the onboard LAN in BIOS again, and sure enough it works
fine now... in XP. Today I booted into 98 and Windows "found" the lan as
a new device. I used the motherboard CD to install the drivers, rebooted,
and everything appears to be OK. In Device Manager, "this device is
working properly", which I realize doesn't always mean too much. I have
no connection whatsoever. Can't ping the router or other computers, and
of course no internet connection. In Network Connections, the TCP/IP
properties are set properly... I've tried it with a fixed IP and DHCP.
Gateway is the router IP (192.168.1.1), subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I've
removed and reinstalled it twice already to no avail.
Now, just a few minutes ago, I thought to bring up the IP
Configuration Utility (winipcfg.exe) and the onboard LAN is not even
listed! So whatever is keeping it from showing in there is no doubt what
is keeping it from working. If it's any help, the onboard LAN is VIA
Rhine II Ethernet Adapter. It is also recognized as such in XP, where it
works.
For what it's worth, the added card (a 3 Com) works fine in both
operating systems. However at present I have it "disabled in this
hardware profile" in 98. Thought that might help if there was any
conflict between the two. It didn't.
I know this is long winded, but I tried to mention everything that
might have come into play for anyone that wants to speculate in what my
problem might be!
I know I can always just use the second card and forget about it, but
that would just be admitting defeat! :)
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
Catalog of removal tools (1)
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
card, formatted the big drive in NTFS and am using it as a storage drive
> in XP only. Since it's NTFS, Windows 98 doesn't even see it.

If you need to see the ntfs drive in win98 these type of utility may be
useful http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml
the first answer in this google search
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=read+ntfs+drive+in+win98&meta=
cant help much with the NIC, but did you separately install the driver under
win98

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> card, formatted the big drive in NTFS and am using it as a storage
> drive
>> in XP only. Since it's NTFS, Windows 98 doesn't even see it.
>
> If you need to see the ntfs drive in win98 these type of utility may
> be useful http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml
> the first answer in this google search
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=read+ntfs+drive+in+win98&meta=

Thanks for the links. However, I really don't need access to that drive
when I'm running Windows 98.

> cant help much with the NIC, but did you separately install the driver
> under win98

Yes, I installed both operating systems seperately and used the
motherboard CD to install the drivers in each. What is puzzling is that the
LAN appears to be installed OK in device manager, but it doesn't show up in
the IP Configuration utility.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

That suggests a problem with the protocol rather than the NIC. Try
re-installing TCP/IP.

You might get better responses in a networking group where people are
generally more familiar with network configuration and setup issues.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in news:#i6YAi0YFHA.2756
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> That suggests a problem with the protocol rather than the NIC. Try
> re-installing TCP/IP.
>
> You might get better responses in a networking group where people are
> generally more familiar with network configuration and setup issues.

OK, I'll try your idea first. Since the added NIC works OK, I just figured
that TCP/IP must be OK. But maybe it installs different instances for each.
I'll try uninstalling TCP/IP altogether and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it comes out.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in news:#i6YAi0YFHA.2756
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> That suggests a problem with the protocol rather than the NIC. Try
> re-installing TCP/IP.

That worked!
After hours of messing around with it, that only took 5 minutes.
Thanks again!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Your welcome, and thanks for letting us know that you got it sorted out.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)