Backup/partitioning gone horribly wrong

Hi all,
Decided to have a go at partitioning and backing up my computer, what a
big mistake! Cancelled out half way through and am now stuck 'invalid
system disk message'
Have used the startup disk can get into DOS but can't start Windows. I
do seem to have a partition called backup which must have been created
when I tried to partition which I can hide/unhide though no data is on
this, I can however save data to this.
Had a go with my original Windows oem CD but no go, and have all the
cab files on C drive which I know how to extract from.
Where do I go from here?
If the worst comes to the worst, can I save data (mainly Jpg's and
documents) to D partition and format C to reinstall windows on? I
really don't want it to come to this.
All the bits and pieces of info from this group I saved as text files
thankfully,which I can read in DOS and picked up enough info to get
this far!

Never underestimate the humble floppy.......

Pebble in XP land.

"pebble" <admin@palacehotel.com.au> wrote in message news:1117270972.520512.23010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Hi all,
> Decided to have a go at partitioning and backing up my computer, what a
> big mistake! Cancelled out half way through and am now stuck 'invalid
> system disk message'
> Have used the startup disk can get into DOS but can't start Windows. I
> do seem to have a partition called backup which must have been created
> when I tried to partition which I can hide/unhide though no data is on
> this, I can however save data to this.
> Had a go with my original Windows oem CD but no go, and have all the
> cab files on C drive which I know how to extract from.
> Where do I go from here?

What program did you use to do the backup?

Does the file structure on the C: drive look sane?

C:
DIR
DIR \WINDOWS
DIR \MYDOCU~1 /S /P

If any of those commands fail or produce strange output, abort. Otherwise do

SYS A: C:

Reboot.

> If the worst comes to the worst, can I save data (mainly Jpg's and
> documents) to D partition and format C to reinstall windows on? I
> really don't want it to come to this.

Probably, but DOS won't preserve long file names without some help.
If you know how to, the easiest thing would be to put the drive in another
system and use Explorer.

> Pebble in XP land.

You mean you're posting from XP, and not, the problem is in XP? Right?
If the C: in question was running XP, do not run the SYS command.

Don't know WHAT you cancelled as you say you created a partition in the
process you mentioned.
Later, in your text, you say you can save data to this partition. Which,
seems to me, insinuates that the formatting of that created partition was
not cancelled. No mention of a 3rd partition creation attempt was
mentioned. Believe all are assuming you started out with the single windows
partition, no others. If any of these assumptions are incorrect, please
correct my assumptions. So, what did exactly did you cancel?

Indicate what you're using to create and format partitions?

Indicate whether you attempted to hide a partition, and if so, which
parittion was hidden.

Indicate what partitions are visible with fdisk.exe open from the startup
diskette?

pebble wrote:
> Hi all,
> Decided to have a go at partitioning and backing up my computer, what a
> big mistake! Cancelled out half way through and am now stuck 'invalid
> system disk message'
> Have used the startup disk can get into DOS but can't start Windows. I
> do seem to have a partition called backup which must have been created
> when I tried to partition which I can hide/unhide though no data is on
> this, I can however save data to this.
> Had a go with my original Windows oem CD but no go, and have all the
> cab files on C drive which I know how to extract from.
> Where do I go from here?
> If the worst comes to the worst, can I save data (mainly Jpg's and
> documents) to D partition and format C to reinstall windows on? I
> really don't want it to come to this.
> All the bits and pieces of info from this group I saved as text files
> thankfully,which I can read in DOS and picked up enough info to get
> this far!
Long story, will get to it later;^)

> Never underestimate the humble floppy.......

Agreed 101%!
Do you by ANY chance have the one created during installation for
booting Windows 9x.
I know, I know, WE never do it, till we get into spot similar to yours.

> Pebble in XP land.

Hi! refugee from Xtra Problems land.

OK, in DOS you evidently can access your files, and you have second
partition on disk. It takes few more movements of fingers to type the
commands instead of drag and drop, but does the work. So this will do as
substitute to backup.
After saving your treasures you can reinstall the OS on the emptied
partition, and "they lived happily ever after".
Note: Whatever you do, let the programm do its job till finished. You
mention stopping in the middle, if it was during some FDISK activity it
may cause the "invalid disk" anouncement.

Good luck

Stanislaw
Slackware Linux user from Ulladulla.

It looks like the others have asked the questions you have left
unanswered, such as...

(1) Of what OS do you speak?
(2) What precisely did you cancel?
(3) Which 3rd party tool have you used?
(4) What do the partitions look like in that tool?
(5) How far did you get with the original Windows oem CD?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"pebble" <admin@palacehotel.com.au> wrote in message

| Hi all,
| Decided to have a go at partitioning and backing up my computer, what
| big mistake! Cancelled out half way through and am now stuck 'invalid
| system disk message'
| Have used the startup disk can get into DOS but can't start Windows. I
| do seem to have a partition called backup which must have been created
| when I tried to partition which I can hide/unhide though no data is
on
| this, I can however save data to this.
| Had a go with my original Windows oem CD but no go, and have all the
| cab files on C drive which I know how to extract from.
| Where do I go from here?
| If the worst comes to the worst, can I save data (mainly Jpg's and
| documents) to D partition and format C to reinstall windows on? I
| really don't want it to come to this.
| All the bits and pieces of info from this group I saved as text files
| thankfully,which I can read in DOS and picked up enough info to get
| this far!
|
| Never underestimate the humble floppy.......
|
| Pebble in XP land.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/
How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
Repartition a Hard Disk

BE CAREFUL, but here is how to look at it in FDISK. Which partition is
marked with an "A", meaning "Active"-- can it be your new "Backup"
partition? That is the one BIOS/DOS/Windows is trying to boot, (under
normal circumstances & for Win98, anyhow). Better answer the unanswered
questions before doing much except to provide information.

(a) Get to a DOS Prompt
(b) FDISK
(c) Press ENTER to accept Large Disk Support.
(d) Select option 4 (Display Partition Information), & hit ENTER.

Here is what mine showed.
NOTES: "PRI" is Primary, "EXT" is Extended...
"A" under "Status" means "Active".

Display Partition Information
Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A PRI DOS P C R HARD 7996 FAT32 42%
2 EXT DOS 11096
58%

Total disk space is 19092 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
Do you want to display the logical drive information (Y/N)......?[Y]

Press Esc to return to FDISK Options

--
| It looks like the others have asked the questions you have left
| unanswered, such as...
|
| (1) Of what OS do you speak?
| (2) What precisely did you cancel?
| (3) Which 3rd party tool have you used?
| (4) What do the partitions look like in that tool?
| (5) How far did you get with the original Windows oem CD?
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "pebble" <admin@palacehotel.com.au> wrote in message
| |
| | Hi all,
| | Decided to have a go at partitioning and backing up my computer,
what
| | big mistake! Cancelled out half way through and am now stuck
'invalid
| | system disk message'
| | Have used the startup disk can get into DOS but can't start Windows.
| | do seem to have a partition called backup which must have been
created
| | when I tried to partition which I can hide/unhide though no data is
| on
| | this, I can however save data to this.
| | Had a go with my original Windows oem CD but no go, and have all the
| | cab files on C drive which I know how to extract from.
| | Where do I go from here?
| | If the worst comes to the worst, can I save data (mainly Jpg's and
| | documents) to D partition and format C to reinstall windows on? I
| | really don't want it to come to this.
| | All the bits and pieces of info from this group I saved as text
files
| | thankfully,which I can read in DOS and picked up enough info to get
| | this far!
| |
| | Never underestimate the humble floppy.......
| |
| | Pebble in XP land.
| |

Hi again,
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry about the lack of info on my
behalf, I was a bit frazzled by my partitioning experiment, 'cos that's
all it was really, don't think I need a partition, though seem to have
one now!!
O/S is as below. The software I was _attempting_ to use is Drive Image
not sure what version, I'll have to check when I get home. I'm now at
work. Tried to do a backup and partition all at once, it got to about
10% and I cancelled out - Zappo. Reset computer and now won't talk to
me, well Windows98 won't anyway, sends out the little bro' DOS. I
tried to overinstall with original OEM Win98 SE but just get an aqua
screen with oem set-up in small letters across the bottom of the
screen, haven't tried again, it freezes and have to reset computer.
Have a start-up disc I made a few months ago (from the add remove
programs screen-where it suggests to make a start-up disc.) This is
where I learnt lots of DOS speak from, that and 'DOS FOR DUMMIES'
The virtual drive that start-up loads is called E Drive and cdrom drive
is F Drive (used to be R)I do have the original Restore disc, but
haven't done anything with that, it's a last resort thing isn't it?
I originally started out with just C drive before attempting the Drive
image thing. Never have had partitions on this computer.
I have a couple of floppies that drive image insist I make when I
installed the DI programme, one with a programme I can run in DOS with
which I can view partitions, hide unhide (?) delete make active or
primary etc. I"ve never enabled large disc support when I fdisk after
booting with start-up floppy - should I?
All the C drive seems to be intact, directory structure is still there,
all except the programme files - they've vanished. I know they can't
be used in DOS, but I stupidly made a folder in programme files with
info in it, it's gone.
All I really need to rescue, if it is as bad as I feel, are photos and
a few documents, maybe some music if room on D the new partition !?
>From memory it's about 4000
megabytes.
Ooooh my head hurts, gotta go.
Thanks so much.
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
--

Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz

See comments inserted....

> Hi again,
> Thanks for all your replies. Sorry about the lack of info on my
> behalf, I was a bit frazzled by my partitioning experiment, 'cos that's
> all it was really, don't think I need a partition, though seem to have
> one now!!
> O/S is as below. The software I was _attempting_ to use is Drive Image
> not sure what version, I'll have to check when I get home. I'm now at

That's usually noted when DI opens when booting from diskette/CD. Else, use
the help tab selection.

> work. Tried to do a backup and partition all at once, it

DI's backup is technically a clone, therefore you must have another physical
hard drive to implement a backup.

got to about
> 10% and I cancelled out - Zappo. Reset computer and now won't talk to
> me, well Windows98 won't anyway, sends out the little bro' DOS. I

Windoze is gone due the moved files during cancellation that weren't
recorded to the FAT.

> tried to overinstall with original OEM Win98 SE but just get an aqua
> screen with oem set-up in small letters across the bottom of the
> screen, haven't tried again, it freezes and have to reset computer.

The partition table containing the FAT may be hosed as well.

> Have a start-up disc I made a few months ago (from the add remove
> programs screen-where it suggests to make a start-up disc.) This is
> where I learnt lots of DOS speak from, that and 'DOS FOR DUMMIES'
> The virtual drive that start-up loads is called E Drive and cdrom drive
> is F Drive (used to be R)I do have the original Restore disc, but

This indicates to me that you have two visible partitions with some form of
file table on them.

> haven't done anything with that, it's a last resort thing isn't it?
> I originally started out with just C drive before attempting the Drive
> image thing. Never have had partitions on this computer.

You have if you had windows installed previously. One formatted, primary
active FAT16/FAT32 partition is required.

> I have a couple of floppies that drive image insist I make when I
> installed the DI programme, one with a programme I can run in DOS with
> which I can view partitions, hide unhide (?) delete make active or
> primary etc. I"ve never enabled large disc support when I fdisk after
> booting with start-up floppy - should I?

In a nutshell, yes.

> All the C drive seems to be intact, directory structure is still there,
> all except the programme files - they've vanished. I know they can't
> be used in DOS, but I stupidly made a folder in programme files with
> info in it, it's gone.

Prior to partitioning a hard drive, all personal data should be kept off the
PC in the event of power failure, or self-induced failures such as yours
that interrupt the process mid-stream.

> All I really need to rescue, if it is as bad as I feel, are photos and
> a few documents, maybe some music if room on D the new partition !?
> >From memory it's about 4000
> megabytes.
> Ooooh my head hurts, gotta go.

After reading and deciphering this, I need to take an aspirin and doze
myself.

"pebble" <admin@palacehotel.com.au> wrote in message news:1117361777.420684.78420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Hi again,
> Thanks for all your replies. Sorry about the lack of info on my
> behalf, I was a bit frazzled by my partitioning experiment, 'cos that's
> all it was really, don't think I need a partition, though seem to have
> one now!!
> O/S is as below. The software I was _attempting_ to use is Drive Image
> not sure what version, I'll have to check when I get home. I'm now at
> work. Tried to do a backup and partition all at once, it got to about
> 10% and I cancelled out - Zappo.

> All the C drive seems to be intact, directory structure is still there,
> all except the programme files - they've vanished.

You were looking for the directory PROGRA~1, correct? There's a tiny chance
it could be another ~# (PROGRA~2, PROGRA~3, etc.), but it's probably ~1

If Program Files is gone you should still be able to get into Windows,
assuming that Windows doesn't die over the missing startup apps. Did
you try to SYS the C: drive? Don't do it now,, in light of the new
info concerning the missing data.

> I know they can't
> be used in DOS, but I stupidly made a folder in programme files with
> info in it, it's gone.

If that folder is very important and you want to recover it, don't
do anything that writes to the drive. (the SYS, attempting to reload
Windows, or running Windows)

> All I really need to rescue, if it is as bad as I feel, are photos and
> a few documents, maybe some music if room on D the new partition !?
>>From memory it's about 4000 megabytes.

The "Restore" disk may wipe out your new "D:" in the process.

If you have access to another computer with 98 or greater, the easiest thing
to do would be to install your HDD to it, then use Window's explorer to get
your data completely off that drive. You may even be able to get your Program
File's data back with file recovery software.

| All the C drive seems to be intact, directory structure is still
there,
| all except the programme files - they've vanished.

Could be as Blanton said, that it is best to attach this drive to
another system as a Slave or a Secondary. Then, copy your data files off
it in Windows. Also, as he said,...

DIR C:\Progra~* /a /s <<<That's tilde-asterisk

Directory of C:\
PROGRA~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 12:13a Program Files
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 6,779.50 MB free

I get only a "~1" & only in C:\, which is my Program Files, but yours
may be otherwise. May as well also DIR the other drive letter... "DIR
D:\". Anything show up?

| The software I was _attempting_ to use is Drive Image
| not sure what version

| Tried to do a backup and partition all at once, it got to about
| 10% and I cancelled out - Zappo. Reset computer

Yikes. I don't use Drive Image, but that seems rough. As Lil' Dave said,
you do seem to have two partitions now, though.

(a) What was DI supposed to do, create a new partition & then copy C:\
to it? Then, C:\ may really be fine as it only was a source. You do seem
to be able to DIR it in DOS. Or was it shrinking C:\ to make room for
D:\?

(b) Were there any messages along the way?

(c) Did it have a CANCEL button? Did you let it complete it's cancel
operation?

| I tried to overinstall with original OEM Win98 SE but just get an aqua
| screen with oem set-up in small letters across the bottom of the
| screen, haven't tried again, it freezes and have to reset computer.

That too can be a problem. However, you say "DIR C:\" does show files,
which is good.

| I do have the original Restore disc, but
| haven't done anything with that, it's a last resort thing isn't it?

Yes, a last resort. Is this the same as your OEM Win98 SE?

| I have a couple of floppies that drive image insist I make when I
| installed the DI programme, one with a programme I can run in DOS with
| which I can view partitions, hide unhide (?) delete make active or
| primary etc.

Well, what does it say about the drives? Which one is the Active drive?
Which is the Primary? Try that FDISK I suggested earlier too. Use the
ESC key to back out of FDISK without making any changes.

| I"ve never enabled large disc support when I fdisk after
| booting with start-up floppy - should I?

Just as Lil' Dave said, yes, or you'll end up with 2 GB drives.

--
> [...]
| primary etc. I"ve never enabled large disc support when I fdisk after
| booting with start-up floppy - should I?
| All the C drive seems to be intact, directory structure is still
there,
| all except the programme files - they've vanished. I know they can't
| be used in DOS, but I stupidly made a folder in programme files with
| info in it, it's gone.
| All I really need to rescue, if it is as bad as I feel, are photos and
| a few documents, maybe some music if room on D the new partition !?
| >From memory it's about 4000
| megabytes.
| Ooooh my head hurts, gotta go.
| Thanks so much.
| * * Pebble in Boulder * *
| --
|

| Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
| Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz

I'm in I've done it. (With lots of help) Windows is completely intact, desktop folders are even in the right place!!!!!
I think it might have been SYS thing that did it, though tried that before - a few times but not to A: I think?? Now have a D drive with it's own recycle bin, anything I delete off C goes into D drive- BACKUP. Drive letters have been shunted about. No CD access - yet! Have to fly back soon.

--
* * Pebble in Boulder * * forever indebted to the humble floppy.
"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:OLC#nBKZFHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> | primary etc. I"ve never enabled large disc support when I fdisk after
> | booting with start-up floppy - should I?
> | All the C drive seems to be intact, directory structure is still
> there,
> | all except the programme files - they've vanished. I know they can't
> | be used in DOS, but I stupidly made a folder in programme files with
> | info in it, it's gone.
> | All I really need to rescue, if it is as bad as I feel, are photos and
> | a few documents, maybe some music if room on D the new partition !?
> | >From memory it's about 4000
> | megabytes.
> | Ooooh my head hurts, gotta go.
> | Thanks so much.
> | * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> | --
> |

> | Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
> | Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz

Great!

I'm still confused as to what you did to create this partition.
I guess "Programme files" was there after all?

If you "open" the bin on any volume, you'll see the total contents of
all the bins.

What do you mean "No CD access"? Can't see the drive? Can see the drive,
but it won't read a CD?

Now's a good time to back up those files you wanted to recover.

"Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message news:eDuYi8NZFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
I'm in I've done it. (With lots of help) Windows is completely intact, desktop folders are even in the right place!!!!!
I think it might have been SYS thing that did it, though tried that before - a few times but not to A: I think?? Now have a D
drive with it's own recycle bin, anything I delete off C goes into D drive- BACKUP. Drive letters have been shunted about. No CD
access - yet! Have to fly back soon.

To remove D: and expand C: to fill the disk, you can use BootitNG's trial
version. Download and create the install floppy. Boot to the install
floppy and "cancel" the setup operation. Go into "Maintenance mode"
Delete the logical and extended, and then resize the remaining primary.

If you need step by step or are unsure of anything in the program,
best to ask ;)

And let it finish no matter how long it takes ;)

"Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message news:O4lrLznZFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>OK PCR,
So I don't now need to expand C: The space recovered when I delete D and extended partition will become free space and UNUSABLE by
windows? I want it back to C: ie I would like my system to be as it was, no partition D, no ext partition. Don't need a secret
stash for the treasure!!
This is my current FDISK info:-

Display Partition Information

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
2 EXT DOS 6534 33%

Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
Do you want to display the logical drive information (Y/N)......?[Y]

I see no D: ??? As you probably realise. I don't udnerstand the basics of partitioning. Why partition if I don't need to run
another operating system? Why did I attempt one - because I had this programme I had never used and it's getting uninstalled just
as soon as I'm normal again!!

| Why partition if I don't need to run another operating system?

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/partitions.html
Badour's thoughts about it. (I didn't do all of that, exactly.)

| Don't need a secret stash for the treasure!!

It's all SPENT, then!?

--
[...]

who would never underestimate the humble floppy

....snip

Thanks PCR, Yair, have been there before to read up on partitions, still a bit foggy. I'l just leave well enough alone. Have downloaded Bootitng and am THOROUGHLY STUDYING THE MANUAL.
Yep, treasure's all gone, frittered it away on mortgage, food and all that luxury stuff. . . . .
--

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:Oy8LwhwZFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | Why partition if I don't need to run another operating system?
>
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/partitions.html
> Badour's thoughts about it. (I didn't do all of that, exactly.)
>
> | Don't need a secret stash for the treasure!!
>
> It's all SPENT, then!?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
> OK PCR,
> So I don't now need to expand C: The space recovered when I delete D
> and extended partition will become free space and UNUSABLE by windows?
> I want it back to C: ie I would like my system to be as it was, no
> partition D, no ext partition. Don't need a secret stash for the
> treasure!!
> This is my current FDISK info:-
>

> Display Partition Information
>
> Current fixed disk drive: 1
>
> Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> 2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
>

> Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
>

> The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
> Do you want to display the logical drive information (Y/N)......?[Y]
>
> I see no D: ??? As you probably realise. I don't udnerstand the basics
> of partitioning. Why partition if I don't need to run another operating
> system? Why did I attempt one - because I had this programme I had
> never used and it's getting uninstalled just as soon as I'm normal
> again!!
> --
> * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> who would never underestimate the humble floppy
>
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> ...snip

You are welcome. Keep us informed. Probably, you should backup your
C:partition before you resize it. That's what I did. Also, it would be
nice for you to have a second HDD. I don't regret having multiple
partitions, but it is a tad more work to do a full system backup now.

I'm trying to preserve my own buried treasure by doing certain odd jobs
myself, but things are beginning to look a bit rickety round here. While
I'm sure the L-braces I've just screwed into a hall handrail will slow a
fall, it'll only do so once. And not even that many for the fattest of
people!

--
Thanks PCR, Yair, have been there before to read up on partitions,
still a bit foggy. I'l just leave well enough alone. Have downloaded
Bootitng and am THOROUGHLY STUDYING THE MANUAL.
Yep, treasure's all gone, frittered it away on mortgage, food and all
that luxury stuff. . . . .
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
who would never underestimate the humble floppy

> | Why partition if I don't need to run another operating system?
>
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/partitions.html
> Badour's thoughts about it. (I didn't do all of that, exactly.)
>
> | Don't need a secret stash for the treasure!!
>
> It's all SPENT, then!?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
> OK PCR,
> So I don't now need to expand C: The space recovered when I delete D
> and extended partition will become free space and UNUSABLE by windows?
> I want it back to C: ie I would like my system to be as it was, no
> partition D, no ext partition. Don't need a secret stash for the
> treasure!!
> This is my current FDISK info:-
>

> Display Partition Information
>
> Current fixed disk drive: 1
>
> Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> 2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
>

> Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
>

> The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
> Do you want to display the logical drive information
(Y/N)......?[Y]

> I see no D: ??? As you probably realise. I don't udnerstand the
basics
> of partitioning. Why partition if I don't need to run another
operating
> system? Why did I attempt one - because I had this programme I had
> never used and it's getting uninstalled just as soon as I'm normal
> again!!
> --
> * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> who would never underestimate the humble floppy
>
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> ...snip

Hi PCR,
Just keeping you informed of the partitioning fiasco. Since I've now got a partition, have decided to keep it!! (After all that) Went through a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get the bloody thing so it stays. And besides, when the manuals talk of this 're-distribute free space' stuff - well - I dunno.
I've read it would be good for saving images of audio cd's and then burning from there, as is not fragmented? I use nero image drive for most burning, I never loot and pillage b-)
Do you live in an old folks home? Just wondered about the hand rails . .. .?
--

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:eKEz188ZFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >
> > Current fixed disk drive: 1
> >
> > Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> > C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> > 2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
> >

> > Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
> >

> > The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
> > Do you want to display the logical drive information
> (Y/N)......?[Y]
> >
> > I see no D: ??? As you probably realise. I don't udnerstand the
> basics
> > of partitioning. Why partition if I don't need to run another
> operating
> > system? Why did I attempt one - because I had this programme I had
> > never used and it's getting uninstalled just as soon as I'm normal
> > again!!
> > --
> > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> > who would never underestimate the humble floppy

It's good you went through all that as a learning experience. Yea, keep
the partition. It will help to keep C: less fragmented because you won't
be involving it in your audio imaging. Oh, sure, you're not a pirate!
All the same, I can't give a clue to the location of my home. It is
older than me, though!

......Earlier you posted...
Available space on drive C: 1163MB of 12993MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 6521MB of 6521MB (FAT32)
......Info from MSInfo32...

Also, from FDISK.....
> Display Partition Information
>
> Current fixed disk drive: 1
>
> Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> 2 EXT DOS 6534
33%

Now that you've reduced the used space in C: by 6 GB or so (by deleting
those image files), resize it down to 8 GB, & give the remaining 4 GB to
D:. Might be wise to do a full system backup first. After the full
system backup, fooling with these things is less risky than walking a
plank.

--
Hi PCR,
Just keeping you informed of the partitioning fiasco. Since I've now
got a partition, have decided to keep it!! (After all that) Went
through a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get the bloody thing so it
stays. And besides, when the manuals talk of this 're-distribute free
space' stuff - well - I dunno.
I've read it would be good for saving images of audio cd's and then
burning from there, as is not fragmented? I use nero image drive for
most burning, I never loot and pillage b-)
Do you live in an old folks home? Just wondered about the hand rails .
.. .?
--
> [...]

> > Current fixed disk drive: 1
> >
> > Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> > C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> > 2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
> >

> > Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
> >

> > The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
> > Do you want to display the logical drive information
> (Y/N)......?[Y]
> >
> > I see no D: ??? As you probably realise. I don't udnerstand the
> basics
> > of partitioning. Why partition if I don't need to run another
> operating
> > system? Why did I attempt one - because I had this programme I had
> > never used and it's getting uninstalled just as soon as I'm normal
> > again!!
> > --
> > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> > who would never underestimate the humble floppy

Hi PCR,
Yair, great learning experience, didn't think so at the time when I was stuck in DOS for a week!
Why should I resize C: and give D: 4GB? My C: drive is the primary, logical partition, right? The operating system is on C: as is all data. D: I will be using only for audio, so far. OK here is fdisk info:

Display Partition Information
Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
Do you want to display the logical drive information (Y/N)......?[Y]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Display Logical DOS Drive Information

Drv Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
D: BACKUP 6534 FAT32 100%

Total Extended DOS Partition size is 6534 Mbytes (1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Set Active Partition
Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
Enter the number of the partition you want to make active...........
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6197MB free)
Available space on drive C: 6197MB of 12993MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 6521MB of 6521MB (FAT32)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Free space, unallocated space ?? Don't think I have unallocated space.
Full system back-up . . . The programme I should be using for this is Drive Image, well that's the reason I got that programme years ago, and didn't use (until I mis-used it.) However, I have burned all photos to disk and any other irreplacable data. All add on utilities have been burned to disk.
Wasn't prying as to your location PCR, just wondering about 'handrails in the hallway to prevent a fall'
Thanks so much for the guidance.
Oh! Bring me a blindfold I've got planks to walk ............YARRRRR
--

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:e3srefSbFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > >
> > > Current fixed disk drive: 1
> > >
> > > Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> > > C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> > > 2 EXT DOS 6534 33%
> > >

> > > Total disk space is 19540 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
> > >

> > > The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
> > > Do you want to display the logical drive information
> > (Y/N)......?[Y]
> > >
> > > I see no D: ??? As you probably realise. I don't udnerstand the
> > basics
> > > of partitioning. Why partition if I don't need to run another
> > operating
> > > system? Why did I attempt one - because I had this programme I had
> > > never used and it's getting uninstalled just as soon as I'm normal
> > > again!!
> > > --
> > > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> > > who would never underestimate the humble floppy

I'd hate to put you back into DOS for a week or worse, BUT it is such a
situation that some sort of backup is meant to rescue one from.

(1) Did you say your important downloads & data files have been copied
to CD? In the event of an HDD crash, you will have to do a fresh install
of Windows before you can get that data back. There have been some
horror stories of fresh installs gone bad, such as the inability to
access Windows Update afterwards, missing modem/video/whatever drivers,
even the inability to do the final reboot. Have you ever done one?

(2) What is a "Nero Image drive", (even Blanton wants to know)? If it is
needed to recover your backup files, it will have to be reinstalled
first after the fresh install. How did that go the first time?

(3) Can't DriveImage give you a full system backup to CD? Does it have a
DOS way to recover it? Then, that may be all you need, really, for the
freedom to experiment further with partitions. (I think DI went bad
Imaging to D:Backup because C:Bart was to big.)

However, JUST as Blanton has gone dumpster diving (after practicing in a
Florida swamp) for boxes, JUST to move two miles up hill from the
alligators whose tails he bit; JUST so, you might find an HDD that may
have escaped his hasty notice. Attach it as a Slave, & put a second
Image to it. It will be quicker to update this Image than the one on
CD-ROM. Another thing: In the event of an HDD crash, you will need a
second one, anyway!

......Pebble...........
Why should I resize C: and give D: 4GB?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6197MB free)
Available space on drive C: 6197MB of 12993MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 6521MB of 6521MB (FAT32)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Free space, unallocated space ?? Don't think I have unallocated space.

Right, you have no unallocated space on the HDD, as shown in FDISK.
Everything is or adds up to 100%. All space is allocated to C:partition
& D:volume. (A volume is a subdivision of an Extended Partition.)
MSInfo32 reports that C:partition is about half empty. D:volume is
entirely empty, (but we know a DI tool will show it has FAT tables &
possible other overhead Blanton spoke of).

I think C:partition still has too much in it, even after you deleted
about 6 GB. My C:partition was never more than about 1.6 GB full, even
before I moved much of it into other partitions. What do you STILL have
in there?

I think you might resize C:partition down to 8 GB, even just to get the
4 KB cluster sizes.

.........Pebble..............
Wasn't prying as to your location PCR, just wondering about 'handrails
in the hallway to prevent a fall'
Thanks so much for the guidance.
Oh! Bring me a blindfold I've got planks to walk ............YARRRRR

You are welcome to guidance, BUT I'LL be needing this only blindfold for
when I blow you up & must walk your plank! An apartment has opened up
after much travail. Now, I must repair it & the hallway for a new
tenant. It's a real chore.

--

> [...]

> All the same, I can't give a clue to the location of my home. It is
> older than me, though!
>
> .....Earlier you posted...
> Available space on drive C: 1163MB of 12993MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive D: 6521MB of 6521MB (FAT32)
> .....Info from MSInfo32...
>
> Also, from FDISK.....
> > Display Partition Information
> >
> > Current fixed disk drive: 1
> >
> > Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
> > C: 1 A PRI DOS BART 13006 FAT32 67%
> > 2 EXT DOS 6534
> 33%
>
> Now that you've reduced the used space in C: by 6 GB or so (by
deleting
> those image files), resize it down to 8 GB, & give the remaining 4 GB
> D:. Might be wise to do a full system backup first. After the full
> system backup, fooling with these things is less risky than walking a
....snip

Hi PCR,

> (1) Did you say your important downloads & data files have been copied
> to CD? In the event of an HDD crash, you will have to do a fresh install
> of Windows before you can get that data back. There have been some
> horror stories of fresh installs gone bad, such as the inability to
> access Windows Update afterwards, missing modem/video/whatever drivers,
> even the inability to do the final reboot. Have you ever done one?

No, PCR, have never tackled a fresh install, and don't think I would want to, so I'd better pay attention!!

> (2) What is a "Nero Image drive", (even Blanton wants to know)? If it is
> needed to recover your backup files, it will have to be reinstalled
> first after the fresh install. How did that go the first time?

Nero Image Drive is sort of a 'virtual recorder' enabling any sort of data to be saved on hard disk as an image (nrg file format) when burning CD's always get the option of Nero Image Drive, or IDE CD R/RW and no, is not required to access anything I've backed up on CD.

> (3) Can't DriveImage give you a full system backup to CD? Does it have a
> DOS way to recover it? Then, that may be all you need, really, for the
> freedom to experiment further with partitions. (I think DI went bad
> Imaging to D:Backup because C:Bart was to big.)

Yes, Drive Image can do all of this, and more and am studying the manual, as I would like to back everything up on CD.

> However, JUST as Blanton has gone dumpster diving (after practicing in a
> Florida swamp) for boxes, JUST to move two miles up hill from the
> alligators whose tails he bit; JUST so, you might find an HDD that may
> have escaped his hasty notice. Attach it as a Slave, & put a second
> Image to it. It will be quicker to update this Image than the one on
> CD-ROM. Another thing: In the event of an HDD crash, you will need a
> second one, anyway!

Yes, I would like a couple of spare HDD, one to pull apart and see into the guts of it all and another to have as a slave to experiment with.

Does Blanton REALLY eat gator tails? Our crocs are a protected species, but they do eat the occasional unsuspecting tourist. Well, if you will go swimming in their dinner bowl . . . .

> Why should I resize C: and give D: 4GB?
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6197MB free)
> Available space on drive C: 6197MB of 12993MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive D: 6521MB of 6521MB (FAT32)
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Free space, unallocated space ?? Don't think I have unallocated space.
>
> Right, you have no unallocated space on the HDD, as shown in FDISK.
> Everything is or adds up to 100%. All space is allocated to C:partition
> & D:volume. (A volume is a subdivision of an Extended Partition.)
> MSInfo32 reports that C:partition is about half empty. D:volume is
> entirely empty, (but we know a DI tool will show it has FAT tables &
> possible other overhead Blanton spoke of).
>
> I think C:partition still has too much in it, even after you deleted
> about 6 GB. My C:partition was never more than about 1.6 GB full, even
> before I moved much of it into other partitions. What do you STILL have
> in there?

I could probably still lose a couple of Gb's of data, mainly music that I have yet to edit. What a tedious process that is.

> I think you might resize C:partition down to 8 GB, even just to get the
> 4 KB cluster sizes.

I'll have a go when I'm studied up on it!

> ........Pebble..............
> Wasn't prying as to your location PCR, just wondering about 'handrails
> in the hallway to prevent a fall'
> Thanks so much for the guidance.
> Oh! Bring me a blindfold I've got planks to walk ............YARRRRR
>
> You are welcome to guidance, BUT I'LL be needing this only blindfold for
> when I blow you up & must walk your plank! An apartment has opened up
> after much travail. Now, I must repair it & the hallway for a new
> tenant. It's a real chore.

Two words for you PCR - LIQUID NAILS -

--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
who would never underestimate the humble floppy

"Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
Hi PCR,

> (1) Did you say your important downloads & data files have been copied
> to CD? In the event of an HDD crash, you will have to do a fresh
install
> of Windows before you can get that data back. There have been some
> horror stories of fresh installs gone bad, such as the inability to
> access Windows Update afterwards, missing modem/video/whatever
drivers,
> even the inability to do the final reboot. Have you ever done one?

| No, PCR, have never tackled a fresh install, and don't think I would
| want to, so I'd better pay attention!!

I have yet to do one, myself, because this is a Compaq with
"QuickRestore Full Restore" CDs. I guess you can say it was quick,
surely under an hour, but there were at least 6 reboots involved-- & two
phone calls! It did work, but I was back to factory condition. The far
quicker (8 minute) "QuickRestore System Restore" from a second partition
on the HDD could get me back to my last System Save. HOWEVER, that
partition was also lost in my great HDD crash of 2001. (Anyhow, I
couldn't boot to access it.)

Now, I've got BootitNG copying my C:partition to a separate HDD
altogether. And that one is accessible from BING's maintenance floppy.

> (2) What is a "Nero Image drive", (even Blanton wants to know)? If it
is
> needed to recover your backup files, it will have to be reinstalled
> first after the fresh install. How did that go the first time?

| Nero Image Drive is sort of a 'virtual recorder' enabling any sort
| of data to be saved on hard disk as an image (nrg file format) when
| burning CD's always get the option of Nero Image Drive, or IDE CD
| R/RW and no, is not required to access anything I've backed up on CD.

Any sort of data? Can it do what DI does to get a full system backup?

> (3) Can't DriveImage give you a full system backup to CD? Does it have
> DOS way to recover it? Then, that may be all you need, really, for the
> freedom to experiment further with partitions. (I think DI went bad
> Imaging to D:Backup because C:Bart was to big.)

| Yes, Drive Image can do all of this, and more and am studying the
| manual, as I would like to back everything up on CD.

Well, this has to be a priority. Find out how to get C:partition onto a
set of CDs with DI.

> However, JUST as Blanton has gone dumpster diving (after practicing in
> Florida swamp) for boxes, JUST to move two miles up hill from the
> alligators whose tails he bit; JUST so, you might find an HDD that may
> have escaped his hasty notice. Attach it as a Slave, & put a second
> Image to it. It will be quicker to update this Image than the one on
> CD-ROM. Another thing: In the event of an HDD crash, you will need a
> second one, anyway!
>

| Yes, I would like a couple of spare HDD, one to pull apart and see
into
| the guts of it all and another to have as a slave to experiment with.

I STILL have my rattling 20 GB Quantum Fireball sitting in the living
room. It's just a tinny "tick-tick" now, but what a roar it once had to
put me through the ceiling. And because Blanton doesn't travel this far
north in his dumpster diving, I have been able to pull a 10 GB WD100 out
of a computer lying in the street on garbage day!

| Does Blanton REALLY eat gator tails? Our crocs are a protected
species,
| but they do eat the occasional unsuspecting tourist. Well, if you
will go
| swimming in their dinner bowl . . . .

Ehhhhh, well, YES. And, NOW he is on the run to higher ground! He
wouldn't be lying about that. Well, anyway, I wouldn't!

> Why should I resize C: and give D: 4GB?
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6197MB free)
> Available space on drive C: 6197MB of 12993MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive D: 6521MB of 6521MB (FAT32)
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Free space, unallocated space ?? Don't think I have unallocated space.
>
> Right, you have no unallocated space on the HDD, as shown in FDISK.
> Everything is or adds up to 100%. All space is allocated to
C:partition
> & D:volume. (A volume is a subdivision of an Extended Partition.)
> MSInfo32 reports that C:partition is about half empty. D:volume is
> entirely empty, (but we know a DI tool will show it has FAT tables &
> possible other overhead Blanton spoke of).
>
> I think C:partition still has too much in it, even after you deleted
> about 6 GB. My C:partition was never more than about 1.6 GB full, even
> before I moved much of it into other partitions. What do you STILL
have
> in there?

| I could probably still lose a couple of Gb's of data, mainly music
| that I have yet to edit. What a tedious process that is.

Probably, those should be in a separate partition.

> I think you might resize C:partition down to 8 GB, even just to get
the
> 4 KB cluster sizes.

| I'll have a go when I'm studied up on it!

C:partition might even be made smaller than 8 GB, say 5 GB, after you
have moved the big files elsewhere. It's too fat for that now, though.

> ........Pebble..............
> Wasn't prying as to your location PCR, just wondering about 'handrails
> in the hallway to prevent a fall'
> Thanks so much for the guidance.
> Oh! Bring me a blindfold I've got planks to walk ............YARRRRR
>
> You are welcome to guidance, BUT I'LL be needing this only blindfold
for
> when I blow you up & must walk your plank! An apartment has opened up
> after much travail. Now, I must repair it & the hallway for a new
> tenant. It's a real chore.

| Two words for you PCR - LIQUID NAILS -

You think it's better to glue my thumb to a wall than to hit it with a
hammer, then?

--

"Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message news:uKYM12CcFHA.2800@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>Does Blanton REALLY eat gator tails? Our crocs are a protected
>species, but they do eat the occasional unsuspecting tourist.
>Well, if you will go swimming in their dinner bowl . . . .

Most places serve it up as fried nuggets with some kind of sauce
on the side. Yummy. :)

Alligators are protected too, but Florida holds a lottery every year to
pass out very limited hunting licenses for a very short hunting
season. Maybe a week or two. I think most of the 'gator tail consumed
is from farm raised alligators though, which is not protected.
"I'm goin' to slop the gators maw.."
:)

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

| "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
|
| >Does Blanton REALLY eat gator tails? Our crocs are a protected
| >species, but they do eat the occasional unsuspecting tourist.
| >Well, if you will go swimming in their dinner bowl . . . .
|
| Most places serve it up as fried nuggets with some kind of sauce
| on the side. Yummy. :)
|
| Alligators are protected too, but Florida holds a lottery every year
| pass out very limited hunting licenses for a very short hunting
| season. Maybe a week or two. I think most of the 'gator tail consumed
| is from farm raised alligators though, which is not protected.
| "I'm goin' to slop the gators maw.."
| :)

I knew you wouldn't be kidding about that! Next time you have to count
to twenty, though, I hope there isn't more to the tale! I mean, I HOPE
the sentiment wasn't MUTUAL between you & them!

Hi PCR and the gator munchin' BB,

Well, OK then. What I must do is shift my unedited waves to D: partition, trawl through C: and see what else I can dump. Resize C: which I think Drive Image can do, if not then will have to use the bootitng which is yet uninstalled, then backup C: to cd's which is an option with Drive Image (I did once try this when I first got the DI programme, but got some sort of error message, so dumped the lot - 7 cd's worth!!) I now feel more able to drive this DI programme, so will do the cd backup again. This particular version of Drive Image is from Powerquest, I now see that Symantec owns the programme, so I'll have nothing to do with updating it, I struggled along with NAV for years, what a greedy programme that is with it's insidious little ways of control !! It's Grisoft free for me now, seems to do the job.
I'm going hunting for a second HDD that I can play around with I think a council collect of rubbish is happening in the next suburb, I'll see if I get lucky.
Yair Bill, we farm our crocs too, to be made into boots, bags and food. The only time the wild ones are hunted is if they've eaten a human (usually a tourist) even then I think they are taken to a wildlife park to do tricks for their keep. When a croc finds you in it's dinner bowl, it grabs you, rolls you over and over and stashes you in an underwater cave sort of thing to ripen for later !! Mmmm. I don't think they bother with a yummy sauce though!!