files are saved as read only by default

I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this question. I used to go
to 98shell but was surprised to re-subscribe and find almost no one there
anymore. The last real posts where back in April sometime. Hmmm....... not
sure what happened there......is anyone in this list topic also subscribe to
(or was subscribed to) Windows Shell? If so do you know where everybody went
that was in that list?

Anyhow here is my main question:
WIN 98SE

I have a client who says that when ever he saves an image from a web page
(right click save) or saves documents, they are by default set as read only.
This is a pain when it comes to photo editing because it adds the step of
changing the file properties before you can begin working on the image.

(I know that when files (such as pics) are burned to CD they become "read
only"..... (with the possible exception of cd-rw) but I'm talking about
typical closed session burn to cd-r. So when they are transferred back from
the cd to harddrive, they must have the read only attribute removed before
you can edit the file.)

Anyhow he claims his system was not doing this before has just now begun
doing this. I am not sure of, or aware of anywhere in WIN98 where you can
change the "default save as" and specify properties such as archive, read
only, etc......

If you know of a better list to post this question to, please let me know.
Thanks in advance for your help,

-=Motorhead=-
2 answers Last reply
More about files saved read default

    You might get a better response in a newsgroup where there is less traffic.

    I would start by asking him to go through the exact procedure he is using to
    save these images. Then change things in that procedure and see if the
    problem changes. For instance, save the images to a different location.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Motorhead" <iwillnoteatgreeneggsandspam@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    >I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this question. I used to
    >go to 98shell but was surprised to re-subscribe and find almost no one
    >there anymore. The last real posts where back in April sometime.
    >Hmmm....... not sure what happened there......is anyone in this list topic
    >also subscribe to (or was subscribed to) Windows Shell? If so do you know
    >where everybody went that was in that list?
    >
    > Anyhow here is my main question:
    > WIN 98SE
    >
    > I have a client who says that when ever he saves an image from a web page
    > (right click save) or saves documents, they are by default set as read
    > only. This is a pain when it comes to photo editing because it adds the
    > step of changing the file properties before you can begin working on the
    > image.
    >
    > (I know that when files (such as pics) are burned to CD they become "read
    > only"..... (with the possible exception of cd-rw) but I'm talking about
    > typical closed session burn to cd-r. So when they are transferred back
    > from the cd to harddrive, they must have the read only attribute removed
    > before you can edit the file.)
    >
    > Anyhow he claims his system was not doing this before has just now begun
    > doing this. I am not sure of, or aware of anywhere in WIN98 where you can
    > change the "default save as" and specify properties such as archive, read
    > only, etc......
    >
    > If you know of a better list to post this question to, please let me know.
    > Thanks in advance for your help,
    >
    > -=Motorhead=-

    Thank, for your response.......I took the question to GRC

    I will look into what you said. My client is 70 something years old and it
    may be that it is a user issue rather then the machine.......

    -=Motorhead=-

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > You might get a better response in a newsgroup where there is less
    > traffic.
    >
    > I would start by asking him to go through the exact procedure he is using
    > to save these images. Then change things in that procedure and see if the
    > problem changes. For instance, save the images to a different location.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Motorhead" <iwillnoteatgreeneggsandspam@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    >>I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this question. I used to
    >>go to 98shell but was surprised to re-subscribe and find almost no one
    >>there anymore. The last real posts where back in April sometime.
    >>Hmmm....... not sure what happened there......is anyone in this list topic
    >>also subscribe to (or was subscribed to) Windows Shell? If so do you know
    >>where everybody went that was in that list?
    >>
    >> Anyhow here is my main question:
    >> WIN 98SE
    >>
    >> I have a client who says that when ever he saves an image from a web page
    >> (right click save) or saves documents, they are by default set as read
    >> only. This is a pain when it comes to photo editing because it adds the
    >> step of changing the file properties before you can begin working on the
    >> image.
    >>
    >> (I know that when files (such as pics) are burned to CD they become "read
    >> only"..... (with the possible exception of cd-rw) but I'm talking about
    >> typical closed session burn to cd-r. So when they are transferred back
    >> from the cd to harddrive, they must have the read only attribute removed
    >> before you can edit the file.)
    >>
    >> Anyhow he claims his system was not doing this before has just now begun
    >> doing this. I am not sure of, or aware of anywhere in WIN98 where you can
    >> change the "default save as" and specify properties such as archive, read
    >> only, etc......
    >>
    >> If you know of a better list to post this question to, please let me
    >> know.
    >> Thanks in advance for your help,
    >>
    >> -=Motorhead=-

Read Only Windows