  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 29, 2005 1:28:26 PM

Hi,
I am in the process of transfering files from one computer to another - both
using Win98. Everything works fine except for the files and folders with
file names containing foreign characters like É or à.
I tried different keyboard language settings but still can not transfer the
files.
How can I transfer these files without having to rename them?
Thanks,
AJS

More about : file names

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:00:32 PM

"AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in

> Hi,
> I am in the process of transfering files from one computer to another
> - both using Win98. Everything works fine except for the files and
> folders with file names containing foreign characters like É or à.
> I tried different keyboard language settings but still can not
> transfer the files.
> How can I transfer these files without having to rename them?
> Thanks,
> AJS

Zip them.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:27:15 AM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:28:26 +0200, "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>I am in the process of transfering files from one computer to another - both
>using Win98. Everything works fine except for the files and folders with
>file names containing foreign characters like É or à.
>I tried different keyboard language settings but still can not transfer the
>files.
>How can I transfer these files without having to rename them?
>Thanks,
>AJS

I just copy/pasted a file named mytestÉ.txt ?

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
May 31, 2005 12:47:27 AM

Thanks, I tried that too but got an error message: "Cannot copy file: File
system error (1026)".
Only files with foreign characters like É or à will neither copy nor
transfer.
Please help,
AJS

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:28:26 +0200, "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I am in the process of transfering files from one computer to another -
both
> >using Win98. Everything works fine except for the files and folders with
> >file names containing foreign characters like É or à.
> >I tried different keyboard language settings but still can not transfer
the
> >files.
> >How can I transfer these files without having to rename them?
> >Thanks,
> >AJS
> >

> I just copy/pasted a file named mytestÉ.txt ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

May 31, 2005 12:47:28 AM

"AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, I tried that too but got an error message: "Cannot copy file: File
> system error (1026)".
> Only files with foreign characters like É or à will neither copy nor
> transfer.
> Please help,
> AJS
>
> "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:28:26 +0200, "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >I am in the process of transfering files from one computer to another -
> both
>> >using Win98. Everything works fine except for the files and folders with
>> >file names containing foreign characters like É or à.
>> >I tried different keyboard language settings but still can not transfer
> the
>> >files.
>> >How can I transfer these files without having to rename them?
>> >Thanks,
>> >AJS
>> >

>> I just copy/pasted a file named mytestÉ.txt ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bill Watt
>> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

this may apply to you

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180680
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:23:17 AM

Hi,
thanks, but it all did not work for me.
I do have enough disk space (10 Gigs left). I really do not know why this
happens only to files with foreign characters.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
AJs

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o g5sbzUZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

| "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
| > Thanks, I tried that too but got an error message: "Cannot copy file:
File
| > system error (1026)".
| > Only files with foreign characters like É or à will neither copy nor
| > transfer.
| > Please help,
| > AJS
| >
| > "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message

| > both
| > the
| >> >

| >> I just copy/pasted a file named mytestÉ.txt ?
| >>
| >> Regards,
| >>
| >> Bill Watt
| >> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
| >>

| this may apply to you
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180680

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:23:18 AM

What language specifically? I see É's and à's, but that doesn't
mean we're seeing the same characters. According to your timestamp,
you appear to be somewhere in central Europe perhaps? You might have
some luck installing the Cyrillic or Central European support via
Add/Remove Programs > Multilanguage Support > (Details)

"AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:ucltLjHbFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> thanks, but it all did not work for me.
> I do have enough disk space (10 Gigs left). I really do not know why this
> happens only to files with foreign characters.
> Any other suggestions?
> Thanks
> AJs
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o g5sbzUZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> |
> | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
> | > Thanks, I tried that too but got an error message: "Cannot copy file:
> File
> | > system error (1026)".
> | > Only files with foreign characters like É or à will neither copy nor
> | > transfer.
> | > Please help,
> | > AJS
> | >
> | > "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message

> another -
> | > both
> with
> transfer
> | > the

> | this may apply to you
> |
> | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180680

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:49:40 AM

The letters refer to folders of song names like "Déjà Vu" (Crosby, Stills,
Nash & Young). When I attempt to transfer files with accents I get an error
message "error 1026". I renamed the file without accents and it works fine.
Installing Multilanguage Support on both computers does not work.
Anyother suggestions???
Thanks,
AJS

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| What language specifically? I see É's and à's, but that doesn't
| mean we're seeing the same characters. According to your timestamp,
| you appear to be somewhere in central Europe perhaps? You might have
| some luck installing the Cyrillic or Central European support via
| Add/Remove Programs > Multilanguage Support > (Details)
|

| "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
| > Hi,
| > thanks, but it all did not work for me.
| > I do have enough disk space (10 Gigs left). I really do not know why
this
| > happens only to files with foreign characters.
| > Any other suggestions?
| > Thanks
| > AJs
| >
| > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
| > news:o g5sbzUZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > |
| > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
| > File

| > another -
| > with
| > transfer

| > |
| > | this may apply to you
| > |
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180680
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:49:41 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/projec...

<quote>
Using Local Language File Names
Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, Unicode characters in file names are
not supported, but they are supported under Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
and Windows XP. Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, file names must use
characters that exist in the code page of the operating system.
</quote>

Which seems ridiculous to me, since the file system's long filename
directory entries accomodate 2-byte unicode.

"Déjà Vu" may still have been created under a different code page
as what is loaded on your system and so é and à are not ASCII. There
are however ASCII latin accent characters you can use to replace them
with. But you would still have to do the renaming manually.

To enter a character you hold down the Alt key and type the character
code number on the numeric keypad (numlock on). Then release alt.

é = alt-130
à = alt-160
ú = alt-163

Google on "ASCII chart" for the full list.

"AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:%23TW49PSbFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The letters refer to folders of song names like "Déjà Vu" (Crosby, Stills,
> Nash & Young). When I attempt to transfer files with accents I get an error
> message "error 1026". I renamed the file without accents and it works fine.
> Installing Multilanguage Support on both computers does not work.
> Anyother suggestions???
> Thanks,
> AJS
>
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> | What language specifically? I see É's and à's, but that doesn't
> | mean we're seeing the same characters. According to your timestamp,
> | you appear to be somewhere in central Europe perhaps? You might have
> | some luck installing the Cyrillic or Central European support via
> | Add/Remove Programs > Multilanguage Support > (Details)
> |

> | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
> | > Hi,
> | > thanks, but it all did not work for me.
> | > I do have enough disk space (10 Gigs left). I really do not know why
> this
> | > happens only to files with foreign characters.
> | > Any other suggestions?
> | > Thanks
> | > AJs
> | >
> | > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > news:o g5sbzUZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | > |
> file:
> | > File

> | > another -
> folders
> | > with
> | > transfer

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:18:31 PM

Thanks,
Is there a possibility to add some kind of software so that win98 will
support these filenames???

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/projec...

| <quote>
| Using Local Language File Names
| Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, Unicode characters in file names are
| not supported, but they are supported under Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
| and Windows XP. Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, file names must use
| characters that exist in the code page of the operating system.
| </quote>
|
| Which seems ridiculous to me, since the file system's long filename
| directory entries accomodate 2-byte unicode.
|
| "Déjà Vu" may still have been created under a different code page
| as what is loaded on your system and so é and à are not ASCII. There
| are however ASCII latin accent characters you can use to replace them
| with. But you would still have to do the renaming manually.
|
| To enter a character you hold down the Alt key and type the character
| code number on the numeric keypad (numlock on). Then release alt.
|
| é = alt-130
| à = alt-160
| ú = alt-163
|
| Google on "ASCII chart" for the full list.
|

| "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
| > The letters refer to folders of song names like "Déjà Vu" (Crosby,
Stills,
| > Nash & Young). When I attempt to transfer files with accents I get an
error
| > message "error 1026". I renamed the file without accents and it works
fine.
| > Installing Multilanguage Support on both computers does not work.
| > Anyother suggestions???
| > Thanks,
| > AJS
| >
| > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| > | What language specifically? I see É's and à's, but that doesn't
| > | mean we're seeing the same characters. According to your timestamp,
| > | you appear to be somewhere in central Europe perhaps? You might have
| > | some luck installing the Cyrillic or Central European support via
| > | Add/Remove Programs > Multilanguage Support > (Details)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
| > this

| > | > |
| > file:

| > folders

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:18:32 PM

Not that I know of. Even with third-party software, ultimately the file
system needs to be able to write the filename to the directory. Without
the correct code page loaded in the OS subsystem, apparently the OS
can't deal with it.

You might try Ingeborg's suggestion of zipping them up and then unzipping
them. I don't know if that will work, but it's easy enough to try. If
it does, you might even end up with something like "D_j_ Vu".

One of the Microsoft non-latin based language groups would probably have
more knowledge of the subject. But then there is the language barrier..

"AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:eW9%23bXlbFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks,
> Is there a possibility to add some kind of software so that win98 will
> support these filenames???
> Thanks,
> AJS
>
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> |
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/projec...
> |
> | <quote>
> | Using Local Language File Names
> | Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, Unicode characters in file names are
> | not supported, but they are supported under Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
> | and Windows XP. Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, file names must use
> | characters that exist in the code page of the operating system.
> | </quote>
> |
> | Which seems ridiculous to me, since the file system's long filename
> | directory entries accomodate 2-byte unicode.
> |
> | "Déjà Vu" may still have been created under a different code page
> | as what is loaded on your system and so é and à are not ASCII. There
> | are however ASCII latin accent characters you can use to replace them
> | with. But you would still have to do the renaming manually.
> |
> | To enter a character you hold down the Alt key and type the character
> | code number on the numeric keypad (numlock on). Then release alt.
> |
> | é = alt-130
> | à = alt-160
> | ú = alt-163
> |
> | Google on "ASCII chart" for the full list.
> |

> | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
> | > The letters refer to folders of song names like "Déjà Vu" (Crosby,
> Stills,
> | > Nash & Young). When I attempt to transfer files with accents I get an
> error
> | > message "error 1026". I renamed the file without accents and it works
> fine.
> | > Installing Multilanguage Support on both computers does not work.
> | > Anyother suggestions???
> | > Thanks,
> | > AJS
> | >
> | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > this

> | > | > |
> | > file:
> nor

> | > folders

> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:24:52 AM

Too bad there is no way around renaming the files.....
Thanks for yur help,

| Not that I know of. Even with third-party software, ultimately the file
| system needs to be able to write the filename to the directory. Without
| the correct code page loaded in the OS subsystem, apparently the OS
| can't deal with it.
|
| You might try Ingeborg's suggestion of zipping them up and then unzipping
| them. I don't know if that will work, but it's easy enough to try. If
| it does, you might even end up with something like "D_j_ Vu".
|
| One of the Microsoft non-latin based language groups would probably have
| more knowledge of the subject. But then there is the language barrier..
|

| "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
| > Thanks,
| > Is there a possibility to add some kind of software so that win98 will
| > support these filenames???
| > Thanks,
| > AJS
| >
| > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| > |

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/projec...
| > |
| > | <quote>
| > | Using Local Language File Names
| > | Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, Unicode characters in file names are
| > | not supported, but they are supported under Windows NT 4.0, Windows
2000,
| > | and Windows XP. Under Windows 98 and Windows Me, file names must use
| > | characters that exist in the code page of the operating system.
| > | </quote>
| > |
| > | Which seems ridiculous to me, since the file system's long filename
| > | directory entries accomodate 2-byte unicode.
| > |
| > | "Déjà Vu" may still have been created under a different code page
| > | as what is loaded on your system and so é and à are not ASCII. There
| > | are however ASCII latin accent characters you can use to replace them
| > | with. But you would still have to do the renaming manually.
| > |
| > | To enter a character you hold down the Alt key and type the character
| > | code number on the numeric keypad (numlock on). Then release alt.
| > |
| > | é = alt-130
| > | à = alt-160
| > | ú = alt-163
| > |
| > | Google on "ASCII chart" for the full list.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |