Sharing broadband internet connection with PC

October 28, 2004 4:00:03 AM

Hi,

I intend to buy a HP Ipaq 2210 shortly. I know this PPC has a CF slot, so I
could use a wi-fi card in it.

I already have a network card installed in my PC.

What would I need and how would I go about sharing my internet connection
WITHOUT changing my USB ADSL modem?

Do I just need to create a network between the PPC and the PC and then tell
the PPC to access the net via the network I will have just set up?

Remember, I'm looking for the cheapest option - wi-fi card for the PPC about
£50 I believe - but what do I need for the PC to complete the network?

Si.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 4:00:04 AM

You could setup an ad-hoc wireless link with the desktop and use ICS to share the DSL connection...
This page may be of help...

http://www.geocities.com/grieg_winter/adhoc/index.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote in message news:clp8r3$nad$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I intend to buy a HP Ipaq 2210 shortly. I know this PPC has a CF slot, so I
> could use a wi-fi card in it.
>
> I already have a network card installed in my PC.
>
> What would I need and how would I go about sharing my internet connection
> WITHOUT changing my USB ADSL modem?
>
> Do I just need to create a network between the PPC and the PC and then tell
> the PPC to access the net via the network I will have just set up?
>
> Remember, I'm looking for the cheapest option - wi-fi card for the PPC about
> £50 I believe - but what do I need for the PC to complete the network?
>
> Si.

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 4:00:04 AM

The easiest solution (though not free) would be to purchase a Wi-Fi Router.
Most include wired ports also which you could use with your existing PC's
NIC. Ive seen a D-Link for less than $20 after rebate. If free suits you
better :)  then the ad-hoc network mentioned above is a viable solution
though its somewhat more complicated of an initial setup.

Mitch

..