Cannot find operating system

I'm not sure if I am in the right discussion group, but
hopefully someone can tell me if there is a solution to
my problem. I found I had a Trojan virus yesterday, in
spite of the fact that i have antivirus software in
place. Today when I try to get onto the computer. I get a
message. 'cannot find operating system.' Is there
anything to do?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot find operating system

    Rosemary--

    This is rarely caused by a Virus, Trojan, or blended threat. See this:

    "When you try to start your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you may
    receive an error message that the operating system is not found. This issue
    can be caused by hard disk drive failure, incorrect BIOS settings, a damaged
    or missing Master Boot Record (MBR), or an incorrect active partition. To
    resolve this issue, correct the computer's BIOS settings, use the Windows XP
    Recovery Console, or mark the correct partition on your hard disk drive as
    active."

    "Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message
    when you start your Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321626&Product=winxp

    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

    Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

    Chad Harris
    ___________________

    "Rosemary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I'm not sure if I am in the right discussion group, but
    hopefully someone can tell me if there is a solution to
    my problem. I found I had a Trojan virus yesterday, in
    spite of the fact that i have antivirus software in
    place. Today when I try to get onto the computer. I get a
    message. 'cannot find operating system.' Is there
    anything to do?

    Thanks

    Hi:

    I would advise you to contact your anti-virus vendor for how to perform a
    virus scan during boot up and remove virus and possibly recover operating
    system from Trojan virus.

    After virus is removed, you may need a repair installation or a clean
    installation, depending on the damage but it is too early to tell.

    Please do remember update your anti-virus software and put it on
    auto-protect state from now on.

    Good luck and hope this will help.

    --
    Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
    around.

    "Rosemary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    ???????:182801c499e2$af72a000$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > I'm not sure if I am in the right discussion group, but
    > hopefully someone can tell me if there is a solution to
    > my problem. I found I had a Trojan virus yesterday, in
    > spite of the fact that i have antivirus software in
    > place. Today when I try to get onto the computer. I get a
    > message. 'cannot find operating system.' Is there
    > anything to do?
    >
    > Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP