Lost Sound Prompts

I no longer get the sounds that I used to get such as when Windows
boots up. This also applies to programs such as Quicken which give a
cash register sound when entering a check. My sound card is OK because
when I go to Windows>Media and click on the sound, it plays in
Microsoft Media player. Any help would be appreciated. Also I can
play mp3 files, wav files etc.

Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Sounds, and make sure you do not have the "No
Sounds" sound scheme selected.

Select a sound scheme that you want to use....if it is already selected, select
another and click Apply, then select the one you want and click Apply. If you use a
custom sound scheme (selecting each sound yourself for various actions), be sure to
save it and name it, then click Apply/OK.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Abraham W. Siff" <awsiff@juno.com> wrote in message
> I no longer get the sounds that I used to get such as when Windows
> boots up. This also applies to programs such as Quicken which give a
> cash register sound when entering a check. My sound card is OK because
> when I go to Windows>Media and click on the sound, it plays in
> Microsoft Media player. Any help would be appreciated. Also I can
> play mp3 files, wav files etc.

To add to Glen, in CP > Sounds there is a test button next to each selected
sound. Checking the sound first before applying will aid you in selecting a
sound you wish for the event. If it is not a sound you want for the particular
event, select another from the list or use the browse button to select and use a
sound on the drive.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Abraham W. Siff" <awsiff@juno.com> wrote in message
>I no longer get the sounds that I used to get such as when Windows
> boots up. This also applies to programs such as Quicken which give a
> cash register sound when entering a check. My sound card is OK because
> when I go to Windows>Media and click on the sound, it plays in
> Microsoft Media player. Any help would be appreciated. Also I can
> play mp3 files, wav files etc.

I'm not sure if my reply to your message was delivered, but I want to
thank Glen and you because you solved my problem.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:23:08 -0500, "Brian A."
<gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

> To add to Glen, in CP > Sounds there is a test button next to each selected
>sound. Checking the sound first before applying will aid you in selecting a
>sound you wish for the event. If it is not a sound you want for the particular
>event, select another from the list or use the browse button to select and use a
>sound on the drive.

Thanks to both Glen and you,. Problem solved!

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:23:08 -0500, "Brian A."
<gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

> To add to Glen, in CP > Sounds there is a test button next to each selected
>sound. Checking the sound first before applying will aid you in selecting a
>sound you wish for the event. If it is not a sound you want for the particular
>event, select another from the list or use the browse button to select and use a
>sound on the drive.

Thanks to Brian and you. Problem solved.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:24:13 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Sounds, and make sure you do not have the "No
>Sounds" sound scheme selected.
>
>Select a sound scheme that you want to use....if it is already selected, select
>another and click Apply, then select the one you want and click Apply. If you use a
>custom sound scheme (selecting each sound yourself for various actions), be sure to
>save it and name it, then click Apply/OK.

You're quite welcome.

--

> Thanks to both Glen and you,. Problem solved!
>
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:23:08 -0500, "Brian A."
> <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:
>
>> To add to Glen, in CP > Sounds there is a test button next to each selected
>>sound. Checking the sound first before applying will aid you in selecting a
>>sound you wish for the event. If it is not a sound you want for the particular
>>event, select another from the list or use the browse button to select and use
>>sound on the drive.

Glad to hear it.
--

> Thanks to Brian and you. Problem solved.
>
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:24:13 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Sounds, and make sure you do not have the
"No
> >Sounds" sound scheme selected.
> >
> >Select a sound scheme that you want to use....if it is already selected, select
> >another and click Apply, then select the one you want and click Apply. If you
use a
> >custom sound scheme (selecting each sound yourself for various actions), be sure
> >save it and name it, then click Apply/OK.

This article may be helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Wave Sound File Problems in Windows 95, Windows 98, and
Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140334

PattyL