ps/2 mouse only works in safe mode, not normal mode

Hi!
I can only use my ps/2 mouse in safe mode. It does not work in Normal mode
at all. I'm running Windows 98 and up until a few weeks ago, the mouse
worked fine in Normal mode. I reloaded the mouse drivers but that hasn't
fixed the problem. I bought another ps/2 mouse, installed the driver and it
still won't work in Normal mode. I have one USB port and so today I tried a
USB mouse, to no avail. I've checked the Microsoft Support database and can
find articles on how to get your computer to run in Safe Mode, and what to do
if the mouse isn't working in Safe Mode, but nothing about the mouse not
working in Normal Mode but working fine in safe mode. Sorry if this is a
totally silly question. I *had* thought myself pretty computer -savvy, until
now. Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give me!
3 answers Last reply
More about mouse works safe mode normal mode

    "Frau Frank" <Frau Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    > I can only use my ps/2 mouse in safe mode. It does not work in Normal mode
    > at all. I'm running Windows 98 and up until a few weeks ago, the mouse
    > worked fine in Normal mode. I reloaded the mouse drivers but that hasn't
    > fixed the problem. I bought another ps/2 mouse, installed the driver and
    it
    > still won't work in Normal mode. I have one USB port and so today I tried
    > USB mouse, to no avail. I've checked the Microsoft Support database and
    can
    > find articles on how to get your computer to run in Safe Mode, and what to
    do
    > if the mouse isn't working in Safe Mode, but nothing about the mouse not
    > working in Normal Mode but working fine in safe mode. Sorry if this is a
    > totally silly question. I *had* thought myself pretty computer -savvy,
    until
    > now. Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give me!

    if your machine has on-board video
    it could possibly be conflicting with your mouse

    Start the computer in Safe mode, go to "Control Panel", "System", "Device
    Manager" and expand "Mouse". Highlight and remove the mouse
    driver or drivers. Then expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and
    remove any mouse drivers from there as well. Then restart normally. You
    may be prompted for your Windows 98 CD.

    Ben

    "Frau Frank" <Frau Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBFFAEAC-8EBE-444C-AD9A-A4B50AEBADF5@microsoft.com...
    > Hi!
    > I can only use my ps/2 mouse in safe mode. It does not work in Normal mode
    > at all. I'm running Windows 98 and up until a few weeks ago, the mouse
    > worked fine in Normal mode. I reloaded the mouse drivers but that hasn't
    > fixed the problem. I bought another ps/2 mouse, installed the driver and it
    > still won't work in Normal mode. I have one USB port and so today I tried a
    > USB mouse, to no avail. I've checked the Microsoft Support database and can
    > find articles on how to get your computer to run in Safe Mode, and what to do
    > if the mouse isn't working in Safe Mode, but nothing about the mouse not
    > working in Normal Mode but working fine in safe mode. Sorry if this is a
    > totally silly question. I *had* thought myself pretty computer -savvy, until
    > now. Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give me!

    > > totally silly question. I *had* thought myself pretty computer -savvy,
    > until
    > > now.

    dont fuss,;;;;; their is No such thing as 'computer savvy', but
    rather only those who strive to know more and find out
    they know less. (you'll meet many mvp's here who qualify)
    comps' are as much a mystery here as they are anywhere in
    the ether; but here trivial tips and hints and fixes are the nature
    of the game...... but in the Global world of mankind, you'll find
    nothing here offered that isnt already known.

    Whitey

Safe Mode Mice PS/2 Windows