window logon

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 30, 2005 6:25:19 AM

I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer. Now, I am
using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the 'network' logon screen or
the password screen when we boots up. The logon user box is empty and always
wants me to type "user" and when I hit enetr it gives a message

"microsoft networking
No domain server was available to validate your password. You may not be
able to gain access to some network resources. When I click "cancel" it will
give "Enter Network Password"

And if I click "cancel" at this dialogue, it will goes to desktop.

I have followed KB152104, without much luck. The logon password still
appears. I have changed the workgroup name to "workgroup" and erase/leave the
domain as "blank" that is nothing in the space.
Any ideas where did I go wrong, thanks

More about : window logon

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:48:56 AM

Double-click the "Client for Microsoft Networks" entry in Network
properties, then un-select the option to log onto an NT domain. Reboot when
indicated. You may need to go through the knowledge base article again
after you do this.

"Jun" <Jun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer. Now, I
>am
> using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the 'network' logon screen
> or
> the password screen when we boots up. The logon user box is empty and
> always
> wants me to type "user" and when I hit enetr it gives a message
>
> "microsoft networking
> No domain server was available to validate your password. You may not be
> able to gain access to some network resources. When I click "cancel" it
> will
> give "Enter Network Password"
>
> And if I click "cancel" at this dialogue, it will goes to desktop.
>
> I have followed KB152104, without much luck. The logon password still
> appears. I have changed the workgroup name to "workgroup" and erase/leave
> the
> domain as "blank" that is nothing in the space.
> Any ideas where did I go wrong, thanks
May 30, 2005 12:42:12 PM

Many thanks for the response. At least the domain issue been resolved.

What I have now is when I reboot, the "Enter Windows Password" box appears
So I typed in User name "user" and hit enter and it goes to desktop. If I
were to leave the User name space blank and hit "enter" , it will give3 me
another message {{"Windows Networking" -You forgot to enter your name. Click
ok to enter now}}

Then I apply KB152194, and reboot, it still give nme the "Enter Windows
Password" message. Just dont know where have I gone wrong and what can I do
next......

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Double-click the "Client for Microsoft Networks" entry in Network
> properties, then un-select the option to log onto an NT domain. Reboot when
> indicated. You may need to go through the knowledge base article again
> after you do this.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Jun" <Jun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer. Now, I
> >am
> > using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the 'network' logon screen
> > or
> > the password screen when we boots up. The logon user box is empty and
> > always
> > wants me to type "user" and when I hit enetr it gives a message
> >
> > "microsoft networking
> > No domain server was available to validate your password. You may not be
> > able to gain access to some network resources. When I click "cancel" it
> > will
> > give "Enter Network Password"
> >
> > And if I click "cancel" at this dialogue, it will goes to desktop.
> >
> > I have followed KB152104, without much luck. The logon password still
> > appears. I have changed the workgroup name to "workgroup" and erase/leave
> > the
> > domain as "blank" that is nothing in the space.
> > Any ideas where did I go wrong, thanks

May 30, 2005 4:42:06 PM

Jun wrote:
> I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer.
> Now, I am using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the
> 'network' logon screen or the password screen when we boots up. The
> logon user box is empty and always wants me to type "user" and when I
> hit enetr it gives a message

Control Panel
Network
Primary Network Logon
Change to "Windows Logon"

If that choice isn't available under the network components listed in
the top window, you will have to "Add" it as a "Client".

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
May 30, 2005 9:04:02 PM

pcr,

I dont quite understand about the user profile. What I have under Password
Properties, there are 3 tags:-Change password/Remote Administrator/User
Profile
Under the Remote Administrator-Enable remote administration of the server
box is uncheck

User Profiles- "All users of the pc......." the box is check.
"Users can customerise......." the box is uncheck

dadIOH,
Primary Network Logon been Change to "Windows Logon" and it doesnt help

Look forward for your suggestions, thanks

"dadiOH" wrote:

> Jun wrote:
> > I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer.
> > Now, I am using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the
> > 'network' logon screen or the password screen when we boots up. The
> > logon user box is empty and always wants me to type "user" and when I
> > hit enetr it gives a message
>
> Control Panel
> Network
> Primary Network Logon
> Change to "Windows Logon"
>
> If that choice isn't available under the network components listed in
> the top window, you will have to "Add" it as a "Client".
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
> ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from

May 30, 2005 9:45:17 PM

pcr,
With ref to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156826/EN-US/
How to Disable and Delete User Profiles

I have under the ProfileList ,
and when hightlighted, the right pane shows: default (value not set)

Under the ProfileList, there are a number of folders p1, p2, p3, p4 etc
When I click on p1, the right pane will have 3 items under the 'name' and
some info under 'data'

example under p1
default (value not set)
BadLocal 01 00 00 00
ProfileImagePath "c\windows\Profiles\P1

Under p2
default (value not set) ---and thats all. Its does
not have the

BadLocal/ProfileImagePath

Under p3
default (value not set)
ProfileImagePth c:\windows\Profiles\p3

Would like to know say if I want to delete p3 only, do I just highlight p3
folder and press delete on the keyboard?

quote from kb156826
"To remove all profiles, remove the ProfileList key." - does that means I
hightlight ProfileList on the left pane and hit "delete" button on the
keyboard?

I have not done anything to the Registry yet but when I go to
c:\windows\Profiles, there is nothing inside the folder.

Need your help please..... thanks

"dadiOH" wrote:

> Jun wrote:
> > I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer.
> > Now, I am using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the
> > 'network' logon screen or the password screen when we boots up. The
> > logon user box is empty and always wants me to type "user" and when I
> > hit enetr it gives a message
>
> Control Panel
> Network
> Primary Network Logon
> Change to "Windows Logon"
>
> If that choice isn't available under the network components listed in
> the top window, you will have to "Add" it as a "Client".
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
> ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from

May 30, 2005 10:14:09 PM

The article you mention...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152104&Product=w98
How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at
Startup

....says it will not work, if you have User Profiles. You don't say
whether you have them. Do you have the Registry key or the folder(s)
mentioned in...?...

How to Disable and Delete User Profiles

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Many thanks for the response. At least the domain issue been resolved.
|
| What I have now is when I reboot, the "Enter Windows Password" box
appears
| So I typed in User name "user" and hit enter and it goes to desktop.
If I
| were to leave the User name space blank and hit "enter" , it will
give3 me
| another message {{"Windows Networking" -You forgot to enter your name.
Click
| ok to enter now}}
|
| Then I apply KB152194, and reboot, it still give nme the "Enter
Windows
| Password" message. Just dont know where have I gone wrong and what can
I do
| next......
|
| "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
|
| > Double-click the "Client for Microsoft Networks" entry in Network
| > properties, then un-select the option to log onto an NT domain.
Reboot when
| > indicated. You may need to go through the knowledge base article
again
| > after you do this.
| >
| > --
| > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
| > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
| > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
| > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
| > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "Jun" <Jun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > >I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring' computer.
Now, I
| > >am
| > > using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the 'network' logon
screen
| > > or
| > > the password screen when we boots up. The logon user box is empty
and
| > > always
| > > wants me to type "user" and when I hit enetr it gives a message
| > >
| > > "microsoft networking
| > > No domain server was available to validate your password. You may
not be
| > > able to gain access to some network resources. When I click
"cancel" it
| > > will
| > > give "Enter Network Password"
| > >
| > > And if I click "cancel" at this dialogue, it will goes to
desktop.

| > > I have followed KB152104, without much luck. The logon password
still
| > > appears. I have changed the workgroup name to "workgroup" and
erase/leave
| > > the
| > > domain as "blank" that is nothing in the space.
| > > Any ideas where did I go wrong, thanks

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:15:55 PM

First, just in case those p1, etc., folders are hidden...

(a) START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
(b) Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."

I really do think, if you have an empty "C:\Windows\Profiles" folder,
you may go ahead & delete that entire Registry key, just as the article
says. Why delete just p3? Who knows, it may solve the original problem.
Certainly, the Key is referencing things that no longer appear to
exist-- p1, p2, p3.

| "To remove all profiles, remove the ProfileList key." - does that
means I
| hightlight ProfileList on the left pane and hit "delete" button on the
| keyboard?

(a) Use RegEdit to get to that Key...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

(b) Click "ProfileList" in the left pane so that it highlights.

(c) "Registry menu, Export Registry file".
This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & any sub-keys in the left pane
(supposing there was a plus sign on the one highlighted). Give it a name
& location of your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Then,
if something goes wrong with the following, you will be able to simply
click that file, to Merge it's contents back into the Registry.

(d) R-Clk "ProfileList" in the left pane, & select "Delete".

Now, it is gone. When you are sure you will never need it again, delete
that .reg you created in step (c). See whether the other article will
now get rid of the password requestor. Also, may as well delete the
empty "C:\Windows\Profiles" folder.

By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the Registry.
To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder Options, File
Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries", click the "Edit"
button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set Default" button.
Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in Notepad for
examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it & select "Merge".

--
| pcr,
| With ref to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156826/EN-US/
| How to Disable and Delete User Profiles
|
| I have under the ProfileList ,
| and when hightlighted, the right pane shows: default (value not
set)

| Under the ProfileList, there are a number of folders p1, p2, p3, p4
etc
| When I click on p1, the right pane will have 3 items under the 'name'
and
| some info under 'data'
|
| example under p1
| default (value not set)
| BadLocal 01 00 00 00
| ProfileImagePath "c\windows\Profiles\P1
|
| Under p2
| default (value not set) ---and thats all. Its
does
| not have the
|
| BadLocal/ProfileImagePath
|
| Under p3
| default (value not set)
| ProfileImagePth c:\windows\Profiles\p3
|
| Would like to know say if I want to delete p3 only, do I just
highlight p3
| folder and press delete on the keyboard?
|
| quote from kb156826
| "To remove all profiles, remove the ProfileList key." - does that
means I
| hightlight ProfileList on the left pane and hit "delete" button on the
| keyboard?
|
| I have not done anything to the Registry yet but when I go to
| c:\windows\Profiles, there is nothing inside the folder.
|
| Need your help please..... thanks
|

| "dadiOH" wrote:
|
| > Jun wrote:
| > > I have an old pc running w98se which was 'a net workring'
computer.
| > > Now, I am using it at home, What must I do to get rid of the
| > > 'network' logon screen or the password screen when we boots up.
The
| > > logon user box is empty and always wants me to type "user" and
when I
| > > hit enetr it gives a message
| >
| > Control Panel
| > Network
| > Primary Network Logon
| > Change to "Windows Logon"
| >
| > If that choice isn't available under the network components listed
in
| > the top window, you will have to "Add" it as a "Client".
| >
| > --
| > dadiOH
| > ____________________________
| >
| > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
| > ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
| > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
| > Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

May 31, 2005 9:58:01 PM

Well, deleted all the p1,p2,p3 etc from the registry and now under
ProfileList-there are nothing inside. When the ProfileList is high lighted,
the right pane shows : Default (value not set)

Then I apply kb152104 again, still no luck. When I on the pc, it still give
me the
"Enter Windows Password" message. with 2 blank boxes.

Under the User name: if I leave it blank and hit enter and goes to the
"setting/c.p/Password - there is no 'change of password 'function.

But if I type "user" and hit enter, the "change of password" function is
available.

Does rhese 2 different cases tell you something?
I know , I need to log in iin order to get the "change of password" function
but just curious why when the "Enter Windows Password" message appears, the
User nmae box is 'blank/empty'. Last shot please, thanks

June 1, 2005 11:11:10 PM

You are welcome. Glad to hear it.

--
| Many thanks, all sorted out now.