cd-rom not accessible

I can not load any discs of any kind i keep getting a message saying D:\is
not accessible the device is not ready. I am going nuts, please help !!!
6 answers Last reply
More about accessible

    Try cleaning the drive with an inexpensive audio CD drive cleaning disc, if it will
    run in it. Is this happening with all discs, even factory-written, or just with
    home-made "burnt" discs? (I know you wrote "any discs"....I am just making sure).
    If no work was done inside the computer recently to accidentally unplug anything,
    the drive may be bad, or the drive cable may be bad.

    You need to check the drive in DOS, by starting the computer with your Win98
    emergency boot floppy, choose CD-ROM support during boot, watch the screen to see
    what drive letter the disk assigns your CD drive, and then insert a CD and try a
    directory reading on the drive.

    To do that, at the A:\ prompt, type the drive letter and a colon (let's say it is
    D:), then type the DIR command. That would look like this, pressing Enter after
    each line:
    D:
    DIR
    (substitute the D: for whatever letter the floppy boot assigns your CD drive)

    If you see a bunch of file and folder names scroll on the screen, the drive is being
    read. if you get an error message, then you are not reading the drive in DOS
    either.

    As for going nuts, I can't help you there.....I have the same problem. ;-)
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "shazza" <shazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can not load any discs of any kind i keep getting a message saying D:\is
    > not accessible the device is not ready. I am going nuts, please help !!!

    "shazza" <shazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I can not load any discs of any kind i keep getting a message saying D:\is
    > not accessible the device is not ready. I am going nuts, please help !!!

    If you are really going nuts, just buy a new CD RO drive and
    add it to your system. CD drives fail about as often as
    floppy drives and most of us have needed to replace one
    or the other. It is quite easy.

    Alternatively, buy a CD RW drive and add it to your system,
    with the free CD writing software. On your first reboot, even
    before installing CD writing SW, a RW drive ought to work
    flawlessly as a RO drive.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    sorry for the delay. I have just done as you suggested. the drive is reading
    in DOS. The drive letter it is giving me is D: and yes it is with all discs.
    any more advise would be very welcome.
    Shazza.

    "glee" wrote:

    > Try cleaning the drive with an inexpensive audio CD drive cleaning disc, if it will
    > run in it. Is this happening with all discs, even factory-written, or just with
    > home-made "burnt" discs? (I know you wrote "any discs"....I am just making sure).
    > If no work was done inside the computer recently to accidentally unplug anything,
    > the drive may be bad, or the drive cable may be bad.
    >
    > You need to check the drive in DOS, by starting the computer with your Win98
    > emergency boot floppy, choose CD-ROM support during boot, watch the screen to see
    > what drive letter the disk assigns your CD drive, and then insert a CD and try a
    > directory reading on the drive.
    >
    > To do that, at the A:\ prompt, type the drive letter and a colon (let's say it is
    > D:), then type the DIR command. That would look like this, pressing Enter after
    > each line:
    > D:
    > DIR
    > (substitute the D: for whatever letter the floppy boot assigns your CD drive)
    >
    > If you see a bunch of file and folder names scroll on the screen, the drive is being
    > read. if you get an error message, then you are not reading the drive in DOS
    > either.
    >
    > As for going nuts, I can't help you there.....I have the same problem. ;-)
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "shazza" <shazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I can not load any discs of any kind i keep getting a message saying D:\is
    > > not accessible the device is not ready. I am going nuts, please help !!!

    Start in SAFE MODE, then open Device Manager, expand the "CDROM" category and the
    "Other" category, remove all entries in those categories, click OK/Close, then
    restart in normal mode (Start> Shutdown> Restart).

    To start in Safe Mode:
    -Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
    (boot menu) appears.
    - Alternately, if that does not work, start the computer and repeatedly tap the F8
    key after the memory count is complete, till the Windows 98 Startup menu (boot menu)
    appears.
    -Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.

    Also, see:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406
    --

    > sorry for the delay. I have just done as you suggested. the drive is reading
    > in DOS. The drive letter it is giving me is D: and yes it is with all discs.
    > any more advise would be very welcome.
    > Shazza.
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > Try cleaning the drive with an inexpensive audio CD drive cleaning disc, if it
    will
    > > run in it. Is this happening with all discs, even factory-written, or just with
    > > home-made "burnt" discs? (I know you wrote "any discs"....I am just making
    sure).
    > > If no work was done inside the computer recently to accidentally unplug
    anything,
    > > the drive may be bad, or the drive cable may be bad.
    > >
    > > You need to check the drive in DOS, by starting the computer with your Win98
    > > emergency boot floppy, choose CD-ROM support during boot, watch the screen to
    see
    > > what drive letter the disk assigns your CD drive, and then insert a CD and try a
    > > directory reading on the drive.
    > >
    > > To do that, at the A:\ prompt, type the drive letter and a colon (let's say it
    is
    > > D:), then type the DIR command. That would look like this, pressing Enter after
    > > each line:
    > > D:
    > > DIR
    > > (substitute the D: for whatever letter the floppy boot assigns your CD drive)
    > >
    > > If you see a bunch of file and folder names scroll on the screen, the drive is
    being
    > > read. if you get an error message, then you are not reading the drive in DOS
    > > either.
    > >
    > > As for going nuts, I can't help you there.....I have the same problem. ;-)
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "shazza" <shazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I can not load any discs of any kind i keep getting a message saying D:\is
    > > > not accessible the device is not ready. I am going nuts, please help !!!

    Doesn't it appear odd that DOS assigns it D: instead of bumping it up one?

    Jeeeesh!! Symantec screwed up on using F8 for 98:
    <quote>
    To use the F8 key to start Windows 98/Me in Safe mode
    1.. Restart the computer.
    2.. As the computer restarts, press and hold down the F8 key until the Windows
    98/Me Startup menu appears.
    3.. In the Startup menu, select Safe mode from the startup menu, and then
    press Enter.
    Windows starts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)
    </quote>

    Last I recall holding down F8 gets the user a Stuck Key error. AFAIK and every
    98 machine I tried it on, holding down F5 at boot will go directly to Safe Mode.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Doesn't it appear odd that DOS assigns it D: instead of bumping it up one?

    Depends what startup disk the OP is using. If the one made from Add\Remove
    Programs> Startup Disk, then yes, that's odd, as that diskette would create a RAM
    disk at D:

    If using a downloaded startup disk without RAM disk, or if the disk was made with
    the fat32ebd utility on the CD, then D: would be probable. Dunno which the OP is
    using.

    > Jeeeesh!! Symantec screwed up on using F8 for 98:
    > <quote>
    > To use the F8 key to start Windows 98/Me in Safe mode
    > 1.. Restart the computer.
    > 2.. As the computer restarts, press and hold down the F8 key until the Windows
    > 98/Me Startup menu appears.
    > 3.. In the Startup menu, select Safe mode from the startup menu, and then
    > press Enter.
    > Windows starts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)
    > </quote>
    >
    > Last I recall holding down F8 gets the user a Stuck Key error. AFAIK and every
    > 98 machine I tried it on, holding down F5 at boot will go directly to Safe Mode.

    Crikey! Symantec screwed that one up. They probably meant to write "hold down the
    CTRL key", as that works on *most* Win98 systems. Holding F8 as they suggest will
    give the Stuck key error. F8 must be repeatedly tapped, not held down, to bring up
    the boot menu. IIRC, as you say, F5 should go straight to Safe Mode.
    --

CD-Rom Devices Microsoft Windows