Boyo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I am actually ordering the same HDD and I have been told that since it is OEM, you pretty much just get the hard drive. If you want more, you have to buy retail, but that's pretty much a waste of money...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yep all you need is the HD, even if it's wrap in a newspaper it's the same thing as the retail one. If you need a software for it then you can download it at the manufacturer's website. I got my Caviar as an OEM but to this date is still working like a pro. So I did not pay extra for a box, manual, software cd and a sata cable because my mobo has some extra stuff for several hd set-up like raid. I saved :) about $20 bucks.

AngelDeath82

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
While you do save money going OEM, you also lose out on warranty support from the manufacturer (and possible the seller as well).

Retail drive warranties are 3-5 years depending upon the drive, however OEM warranties range from 3 months - 1 year.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yep, OEM means that the manufacturer are too lazy to sell the product with all the fancy extras, so they just wrap it in newspaper and throw it in the box and lowered the price. Okay it's really not that way, but you get the point.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yeah also the odds of a drive failing before 3 years.... I just replaced a drive ive been using for like 2 years it didnt fail but I suspect it would have soon (literaly was making my desk shake) I just went and bought a couple of new ones they are so cheap these days you can get 200GB's for like 70$ lol

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I am actually ordering the same HDD and I have been told that since it is OEM, you pretty much just get the hard drive. If you want more, you have to buy retail, but that's pretty much a waste of money...
and your point is...
Do I really need another stupid box? I can always contact Newegg if it breaks, which is probably faster than going to Hitachi (something I can do as well).
Besides, the thing had so much styrafoam popcorn and plastic defending it from UPS screwing off on the job I have no reason to worry.

if you have a problem with an Hitachi HD, you just have to:
- submit a enquiry on their website, using the drive's serial (it'll tell you how long is the remaining guarantee instantly)
- download their test software, and use it
- note the error code
- carefully box the HD and send it
- wait 2-3 weeks for the replacement to arrive

Last time I exchanged a drive through the retailer, it was a 6 (SIX) weeks wait, because they had to test it, report the incident to their central provider, send it; have the incident confirmed, the drive re-tested, the submit operation with the manufacturer repeated, the drive sent yet again (notice how we've lost 1-2 weeks already), then exchanged (another 3 weeks), sent back to the central, then dispatched again, then the client (myself) contacted to get it. Results: 5-6 weeks.

I'd rather contact the manufacturer directly now: it's faster and cleaner.

-Feller-

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Last time i had a HD fail was about 4 years ago. The HD was a Western Digital. I called them. They actually sent me a new drive that i got within 4-5 days. (had 2x the capacity because the failed drive size was no longer available) I then put the failed drive in the box they sent which had a return postage label inside and sent it back to them.

I had 3-4 weeks to send the old drive back before they would charge me for the new drive. If they recieved it within 3-4 weeks then no charge.

Ever since that day i have always used WD drives. Was very happy with the service that day.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Yes they are and the 250 GB and higher (with the high density platters) are extremely fast.
Anyone remember when HD's came with certified bad sectors? :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Every HDD I owned always had proper cooling. None of them failed when running 24-7 except the infamous IBMs.

It's rare for HDD to fail after a long time when you treat them right which most users fail to do so.

I've trusted the WD hard drives as all my WD hd are still up and running. But when you talk about proper cooling, what do you think is the ideal operating temperature? I guess my hd are properly taken care of because all of my hd are still running well. Anyways I always place a 120mm fan in front of the hard drives.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Every HDD I owned always had proper cooling. None of them failed when running 24-7 except the infamous IBMs.

It's rare for HDD to fail after a long time when you treat them right which most users fail to do so.

I've trusted the WD hard drives as all my WD hd are still up and running. But when you talk about proper cooling, what do you think is the ideal operating temperature? I guess my hd are properly taken care of because all of my hd are still running well. Anyways I always place a 120mm fan in front of the hard drives.

Hey that drive I had thats failing is a WD hmmm im gonna check and see if I have any warrenty left on it (might as well its the cavier lol) might get a drive out of the deal :)

Edit: WOOOT !!! I just made it the two drives (was running them in raid) are still under free replacement warrenty for another 2 months ! lol awesomeness ! now im currius what they will send me :)

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
The reason companies sell drives in OEM boxes is for the big manufacturers like Dell. To save money, Dell orders a pantload of drives from one company, a pantload of cables from another, and a third pantload of mounting screws. That way, they don't have to worry about where to put the instruction manual, and you still get the warranty. And lots of money saved.

Amd64lad

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
my 120gb Maxtor Diamond Max 9 literally caught fire. One of the chips on the circuit board got so hot a small flame burst out of it i had 2 80mm blowing on it (scared the crap outta me too when it happened, cause i just built my new pc and put it in there)