MIcrosoft is abandoning the "My" in "My Documents"

Larry wrote:
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/226209_msftnotebook30.asp
>
> Instead of "My Documents," "My Music," etc., in future operating
> systems it will be simply "Documents," etc.
>
> That's fine with me. Almost as soon as I learned the ropes of Windows
> 98 when I got my computer, I changed "My Documents" to "Documents."
>
> Larry

My God
(and it's about time too)

Sorry, dudes. But WinXP still has "My Documents".

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> Larry wrote:
> > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/226209_msftnotebook30.asp
> >
> > Instead of "My Documents," "My Music," etc., in future operating
> > systems it will be simply "Documents," etc.
> >
> > That's fine with me. Almost as soon as I learned the ropes of Windows
> > 98 when I got my computer, I changed "My Documents" to "Documents."
> >
> > Larry
>
> My God
> (and it's about time too)

The articles mention of future OS's as I read it has to do starting with
Longhorn and any after that.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in news:u3MJ1ATZFHA.2420
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/226209_msftnotebook30.asp
>
> Instead of "My Documents," "My Music," etc., in future operating systems
> it will be simply "Documents," etc.
>
> That's fine with me. Almost as soon as I learned the ropes of Windows
> 98 when I got my computer, I changed "My Documents" to "Documents."

Folders or files with spaces in them have always been a pain in the butt.
Any calls to them must have quotes around them or it doesn't see past the
space. Ever seen the error message "can't find Program"? I've also seen
bogus files in the root directory called "Program" that was created when
some app meant "Program Files".
Good idea on the renaming!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

> That's fine with me. Almost as soon as I learned the ropes of Windows
> 98 when I got my computer, I changed "My Documents" to "Documents."

Ditto......... but aarrgh, I have forgotton.
I have my recycle renamed and recall tinkering in the
registry;
Please remind how to do it.

...Rex..

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > That's fine with me. Almost as soon as I learned the ropes of Windows
> > 98 when I got my computer, I changed "My Documents" to "Documents."
>
> Ditto......... but aarrgh, I have forgotton.
> I have my recycle renamed and recall tinkering in the
> registry;
> Please remind how to do it.

Click Start / Run
Type REGEDIT and press enter.
Open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder
Open the CLSID folder
Open the {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}folder
Open the ShellFolder folder

Change the "Attributes Data value from "40 01 00 20" to "50 01 00 20".
[Windows XP users should rename this to "70 01 00 20".]

Windows XP users

Right click on the Recycle Bin desktop icon and click Explorer.
With your Recycle Bin highlighted click File and Rename.

All other Windows users [After performing the above steps
you will be able to rename the icon like any other icon.]

Right click the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop and click Rename

> > > That's fine with me. Almost as soon as I learned the ropes of Windows
> > > 98 when I got my computer, I changed "My Documents" to "Documents."
> >
> > Ditto......... but aarrgh, I have forgotton.
> > I have my recycle renamed and recall tinkering in the
> > registry;
> > Please remind how to do it.
>
> Click Start / Run
> Type REGEDIT and press enter.
> Open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder
> Open the CLSID folder
> Open the {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}folder
> Open the ShellFolder folder
>
> Change the "Attributes Data value from "40 01 00 20" to "50 01 00 20".
> [Windows XP users should rename this to "70 01 00 20".]
---------
Hello Hugh,
I have my Recycle done in the above manner, but, it is done this
way in Win98. eg, 70 01 00 20. and not xp.
(not sure if that is just trivial info, but it has been like that for
quite a while, and Win98 never balked at it.)
Which file in the Reg is the correct one for renaming My Documents,
and what is the correct numeric config for making it so?

...Rex..