High Speed Internet connection --"Server Not Found" Problem

Hello,

I have Windows 98 with IE 5.5 sp2. Don't have the Network card installed. I
am on dial-up connection. I want to get Cable high speed internet
connection. The technician who came to instal the high speed connection
spent two hours trying to connect, using USB port. Everytime "Server Not
Found" message appeared with an Illegal Operation message. He gave up saying
it was the IE problem.
I am able to connect to the internet and any site without any problem using
dial-up.

Today I took the computer to computer shop and for checkup and the
technician suggest that I should get the network card installed. I checked
back this afternoon and he said the network card could not be installed
because after instalation the computer would not boot. So no network card
installed. He said the computer connects to the internet using high speed
but never opens a page. It gives the illegal operation which is related to
IE. He said it is definately and IE issue. There may be some corrupt file
which is causing the problem.

I used the repair tools in IE 5.5. Does not help. My question is, will
uninstalling and reinstalling IE 5.5 correct the problem? Or should I
upgrade to IE6 on Windows 98? Will that correct the corrupt file problem.

I also have host file. Would that cause the problem?

I have no problem connecting using dialup.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mian

Rule out IE by going to www.opera.com or some such site and downloading an
alternative browser. If that doesn't work either, then you'll know that it's
not related to IE.

> Hello,
>
> I have Windows 98 with IE 5.5 sp2. Don't have the Network card
> installed. I am on dial-up connection. I want to get Cable high speed
> internet connection. The technician who came to instal the high speed
> connection spent two hours trying to connect, using USB port.
> Everytime "Server Not Found" message appeared with an Illegal
> Operation message. He gave up saying it was the IE problem.
> I am able to connect to the internet and any site without any problem
> using dial-up.
>
> Today I took the computer to computer shop and for checkup and the
> technician suggest that I should get the network card installed. I
> checked back this afternoon and he said the network card could not be
> installed because after instalation the computer would not boot. So no
> network card installed. He said the computer connects to the internet
> using high speed but never opens a page. It gives the illegal
> operation which is related to IE. He said it is definately and IE
> issue. There may be some corrupt file which is causing the problem.
>
> I used the repair tools in IE 5.5. Does not help. My question is, will
> uninstalling and reinstalling IE 5.5 correct the problem? Or should I
> upgrade to IE6 on Windows 98? Will that correct the corrupt file
> problem.
>
> I also have host file. Would that cause the problem?
>
> I have no problem connecting using dialup.

Then, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with IE.
USB hookups are generally flaky.
I've run into computers that couldn't handle certain network cards, but
I've always been able to find one in my collection that worked OK. You
didn't mention what kind of computer you have. Does it have ISA slots
available? Maybe an ISA card would work. Or if that's the one that won't
work, try a PCI card. Or try a different brand. None of them are very
expensive.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Thanks Menno. I have custom built desk top. I don't know about ISA slot. I
am going to take the computer to another computer shop and will mention this
to him.
Mian

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> "Mian Ali" <mianali15@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have Windows 98 with IE 5.5 sp2. Don't have the Network card
> > installed. I am on dial-up connection. I want to get Cable high speed
> > internet connection. The technician who came to instal the high speed
> > connection spent two hours trying to connect, using USB port.
> > Everytime "Server Not Found" message appeared with an Illegal
> > Operation message. He gave up saying it was the IE problem.
> > I am able to connect to the internet and any site without any problem
> > using dial-up.
> >
> > Today I took the computer to computer shop and for checkup and the
> > technician suggest that I should get the network card installed. I
> > checked back this afternoon and he said the network card could not be
> > installed because after instalation the computer would not boot. So no
> > network card installed. He said the computer connects to the internet
> > using high speed but never opens a page. It gives the illegal
> > operation which is related to IE. He said it is definately and IE
> > issue. There may be some corrupt file which is causing the problem.
> >
> > I used the repair tools in IE 5.5. Does not help. My question is, will
> > uninstalling and reinstalling IE 5.5 correct the problem? Or should I
> > upgrade to IE6 on Windows 98? Will that correct the corrupt file
> > problem.
> >
> > I also have host file. Would that cause the problem?
> >
> > I have no problem connecting using dialup.
>
> Then, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with IE.
> USB hookups are generally flaky.
> I've run into computers that couldn't handle certain network cards, but
> I've always been able to find one in my collection that worked OK. You
> didn't mention what kind of computer you have. Does it have ISA slots
> available? Maybe an ISA card would work. Or if that's the one that won't
> work, try a PCI card. Or try a different brand. None of them are very
> expensive.
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Thanks darkrats. I am taking the computer to another shop and see if he can
install the card. If not then I will give it a try to rule out the IE
problem possibility.
Mian

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> technician suggest that I should get the network card installed. I checked
> back this afternoon and he said the network card could not be installed
> because after instalation the computer would not boot. So no network card
> installed. He said the computer connects to the internet using high speed
> but never opens a page. It gives the illegal operation which is related to
> IE. He said it is definately and IE issue. There may be some corrupt file
> which is causing the problem.
>
> I used the repair tools in IE 5.5. Does not help. My question is, will
> uninstalling and reinstalling IE 5.5 correct the problem? Or should I
> upgrade to IE6 on Windows 98? Will that correct the corrupt file problem.
>
> I also have host file. Would that cause the problem?
>
> I have no problem connecting using dialup.
>
> Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Some thoughts:
Are you running Win98 or Win98SE?
Have someone try another brand of Network card.
Have them try using a Cat5 cable connection instead of the USB.
I went from IE5.5 to IE6 and experienced no problems or slowdowns, just in case
you are worried about it. This is a free upgrade.
Try renaming the host file to disable it. You can always go back and rename it
again.

Mike

Splendid

IE is not the problem. If the nic will not install something else is going
on. Do a virus scan and a spyware scan. When was the last time 98 was
reinstalled? Try a different nic. Did the tech get an IP? Dump this tech. He
doesn't know what he is doing. I have been doing Cable Internet installs for
the local ISP for 5 years. Not one failure. There is always a way to make a
simple network card install work. Find a local tech who is a MCSE. It will
take him 10 minutes.

"Mian Ali" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Windows 98 with IE 5.5 sp2. Don't have the Network card installed. I
> am on dial-up connection. I want to get Cable high speed internet
> connection. The technician who came to instal the high speed connection
> spent two hours trying to connect, using USB port. Everytime "Server Not
> Found" message appeared with an Illegal Operation message. He gave up saying
> it was the IE problem.
> I am able to connect to the internet and any site without any problem using
> dial-up.
>
> Today I took the computer to computer shop and for checkup and the
> technician suggest that I should get the network card installed. I checked
> back this afternoon and he said the network card could not be installed
> because after instalation the computer would not boot. So no network card
> installed. He said the computer connects to the internet using high speed
> but never opens a page. It gives the illegal operation which is related to
> IE. He said it is definately and IE issue. There may be some corrupt file
> which is causing the problem.
>
> I used the repair tools in IE 5.5. Does not help. My question is, will
> uninstalling and reinstalling IE 5.5 correct the problem? Or should I
> upgrade to IE6 on Windows 98? Will that correct the corrupt file problem.
>
> I also have host file. Would that cause the problem?
>
> I have no problem connecting using dialup.
>
> Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Mian

Thanks Buffalo for the response. I have Windows 98, not 98SE. I took the
computer to a different computer shop and he not only installed the network
card but also updated IE 5.5 to 6 and updated Direct8 to DirectX9 and
updated video drivers and everything works Ok now. I guess it pays to get
the second opinion and shows you the difference between techs. The only
problems nows is that some of the games that used to work under DirectX8,
don't work anymore.
Mian.

> Thanks Buffalo for the response. I have Windows 98, not 98SE. I took the
> computer to a different computer shop and he not only installed the network
> card but also updated IE 5.5 to 6 and updated Direct8 to DirectX9 and
> updated video drivers and everything works Ok now. I guess it pays to get
> the second opinion and shows you the difference between techs. The only
> problems nows is that some of the games that used to work under DirectX8,
> don't work anymore.
> Mian.

Try reinstalling the games. Perhaps it was the video driver update that caused
it.
I know that when I undated the vid drivers for my AMD 8500LE, I had some
problems with some of my old DOS games.
One thing to try first is to set your Desktop to 16 Bit Hi Color rather than 32
Bit True Color, of vice versa. Sometimes that is all it takes to get those
gaming running again.

Thanks Mike. I took the computer to another shop and he was able to install
the card and update rest of the stuff.
Mian

> Try reinstalling the games. Perhaps it was the video driver update that caused
> it.
> I know that when I undated the vid drivers for my AMD 8500LE, I had some
> problems with some of my old DOS games.

Should have read ATI Radeon 8500LE, not AMD (if anyone really cares)

> One thing to try first is to set your Desktop to 16 Bit Hi Color rather than
32
> Bit True Color, of vice versa. Sometimes that is all it takes to get those
> gaming running again.

Thanks Bufflo. I defrag the hard drive and the games work ok now. I guess
with all those updates, video drivers, DirectX, IE 5.5, and the network
card, the files must have been scattered all over the Hard Drive and games
were not able to read them quick enough to start. After defrag, it is ok
now.
Mian

> Thanks Bufflo. I defrag the hard drive and the games work ok now. I guess
> with all those updates, video drivers, DirectX, IE 5.5, and the network
> card, the files must have been scattered all over the Hard Drive and games
> were not able to read them quick enough to start. After defrag, it is ok
> now.
> Mian

Thanks for the feedback. :)