need to install new keyboard

I have Win 98 SE. I attached a new USB keyboard and followed the
instructions to insert the Windows 98 installation disk, but I got error
messages that the following files could not be found:
hidclass.sys
hidparse.sys
hidusb.sys

Where can I find these files so that I can install the keyboard?

"estillbham" <estillbham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Win 98 SE. I attached a new USB keyboard and followed the
> instructions to insert the Windows 98 installation disk, but I got error
> messages that the following files could not be found:
> hidclass.sys
> hidparse.sys
> hidusb.sys
>
> Where can I find these files so that I can install the keyboard?

Base5.cab File
Hidclass sys 23,520 4-23-1999 10:22:00p
Hidparse sys 44,368 4-23-1999 10:22:00p
Hidusb sys 9,296 4-23-1999 10:22:00p

"estillbham" <estillbham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55F7B8D8-E7A9-4830-BCE7-FA7E72069314@microsoft.com...
>I have Win 98 SE. I attached a new USB keyboard and followed the
> instructions to insert the Windows 98 installation disk, but I got error
> messages that the following files could not be found:
> hidclass.sys
> hidparse.sys
> hidusb.sys
>
> Where can I find these files so that I can install the keyboard?

In "original" 98, I find those in base5.cab. Are you pointing/browsing it to the folder
on the CD containing the *.cab files? e.g. D:\WIN98

They are all in the Base5.cab file on the CD. If the installer can't find them
there, extract them to a folder and then point the installer to that folder when it
asks for a location. .cab files are archives, like .zip files, and double-clicking
the Base5.cab file will open it in the Cab Viewer (or in WinZip if you have that
installed).
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"estillbham" <estillbham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Win 98 SE. I attached a new USB keyboard and followed the
> instructions to insert the Windows 98 installation disk, but I got error
> messages that the following files could not be found:
> hidclass.sys
> hidparse.sys
> hidusb.sys
>
> Where can I find these files so that I can install the keyboard?

| hidclass.sys
| hidparse.sys
| hidusb.sys

Those three are where the others said (in Win98SE)... Base5.cab, & they
all belong in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS". It seems SFC knows where
they belong, & it also knows which specific .cab has them. You need only
specify which folder holds the .cab...

(1) "START button, Run, SFC"
(2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
(3) Enter "hidclass.sys" in the "Specify..." box.
Later come back for the other two.
(4) Click "Start".
(5) It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS".
If not, make it so.
(6) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
(a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
(b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
"C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
(7) Click "OK"
(8) Repeat from step (3) for the other two.

If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it up.
May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will request
that you reboot to complete the install.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,