Slow computer, and request for "cleanup" help

Hello!

I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my computer
is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out "temporary
internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files lying
around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get rid of
them?

For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the space
and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere. How do
I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use that's
better than "system maintenance"?

I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m computer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Phil
7 answers Last reply
More about slow computer request cleanup help

    Phil James wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my computer
    > is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out "temporary
    > internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
    > maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files lying
    > around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get rid of
    > them?
    >
    > For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the space
    > and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
    > address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere. How do
    > I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use that's
    > better than "system maintenance"?
    >
    > I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m computer.
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > Phil

    Hi!
    Two choices, both "painfull".
    a) Live with what you created.
    b) Take a deep breath, wipe the drive clean and reinstall putting on
    *only* those things that you touched at least two times in last three
    months.
    On ANY computer which is active at least six month you find
    "memorabilia" of programs installed for curiosity and never used again.
    To clean such mess is beyond human ability. (And not worth the effort)

    So have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla

    Before going on a big hunt for little files, I guess, as you've done a
    lot of updating...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
    running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
    "Scandisk /Checkonly", instead.)
    REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
    system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

    | Hello!
    |
    | I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my
    computer
    | is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out
    "temporary
    | internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
    | maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files
    lying
    | around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get
    rid of
    | them?
    |
    | For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the
    space
    | and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
    | address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere.
    How do
    | I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use
    that's
    | better than "system maintenance"?
    |
    | I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m
    computer.

    | Thanks for your thoughts.
    |
    | Phil

    Thanks, both of you.

    I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup would
    contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?

    I think I'll just live with what I've got.

    Phil

> [...]
    > rid of
    > | them?
    > |
    > | For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the
    > space
    > | and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
    > | address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere.
    > How do
    > | I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use
    > that's
    > | better than "system maintenance"?
    > |
    > | I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m
    > computer.
    > |
    > | Thanks for your thoughts.
    > |
    > | Phil

    | I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup
    would
    | contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?

    Yep. But was it slow?

    | I think I'll just live with what I've got.

    Well, try the Scandisk/Defrag. Also, I guess show us what is in your
    Startup Group... "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment,
    Startup
    Programs". Use the Edit menu to copy, & post it.

    --

> [...]
    | >
    | > "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any
    partition. It
    | > discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool
    was
    | > accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in
    "Control
    | > Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows
    Update"
    | > on your own.
    | >
    | > "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class,
    created
    | > by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    | > "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?
    | >
    | > Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also
    have
    | > 384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    | > |
    | > | Hello!
    | > |
    | > | I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my
    | > computer
    | > | is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out
    | > "temporary
    | > | internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
    | > | maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little
    files
    | > lying
    | > | around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I
    get
    | > rid of
    | > | them?
    | > |
    | > | For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on
    the
    | > space
    | > | and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my
    street
    | > | address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files
    somewhere.
    | > How do
    | > | I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use
    | > that's
    | > | better than "system maintenance"?
    | > |
    | > | I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m
    | > computer.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for your thoughts.
    | > |
    | > | Phil
    | > |
    | > |

    "Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

    > Thanks, both of you.
    >
    > I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup would
    > contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?
    >
    > I think I'll just live with what I've got.
    >
    > Phil

    This is something pretty safe and easy to try.
    Boot to the Startup Menu and select Command Prompt Only.
    At the C:\ prompt, type smartdrv and press Enter.
    Now type scanreg /opt /fix and press Enter.
    Repeat the scanreg /opt /fix three times.
    This helps to 'fix' the Registry and compress it.
    It may or may not help your problem, but it is definitely is worth a try.
    I would also try PCR's suggestions.

    OK, here's what's in the MSInfo32 startup group listing:

    Startup Group

    Microsoft Office C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE -b -l
    Dr Watson C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE

    Registry (Machine Run)

    SystemTray SysTray.Exe
    TrackPointSrv daemon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    PRPCMonitor PRPCUI.exe
    ConfigSafe C:\CFGSAFE\AUTOCHK.EXE
    IBMUltraBayHotSwapSound c:\windows\SYSTEM\IBMBAYSN.EXE
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    TpHotkey C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\UTILIT~1\TPHKMGR.EXE
    IBMUltraBayHotSwapCPLLoader c:\windows\SYSTEM\IBMBAY2M.EXE
    SoundFusion RunDll32 cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
    Ati2cwxx Ati2cwxx.exe
    AtiPTA Atiptaxx.exe
    MCAgentExe C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
    MCUpdateExe C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
    VirusScan Online C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
    MPTBox C:\PROGRA~1\CANON\MULTIP~1\MPTBOX.EXE
    InstantAccess C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\INSTAN~1.EXE /h
    RegisterDropHandler C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\REGIST~1.EXE
    MP_STATUS_MONITOR C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS\monitr32.exe I
    PDirect C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\UTILIT~1\PDirect.exe
    VSOCheckTask C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE /checktask
    QuickTime Task C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE -atboottime
    Zone Labs Client C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    IrMon IrMon.exe
    HP CD-Writer C:\Program Files\HP CD-Writer\Mmenu\hpcdtray.exe
    Adaptec DirectCD C:\PROGRA~1\HPCD-W~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
    CriticalUpdate c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup

    Registry (Machine Service)

    mgavrtclexe C:\WINDOWS\MCBin\AV\Rt\mgavrte.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    ATIPOLAB ati2plxx.exe
    IBMPMSVC IBMPMSVC.EXE -HELPER
    TrueVector C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    MiniLog C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
    RegisterDropHandler C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\REGIST~1.EXE
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe
    McVsRte C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
    KB891711 c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

    Do I need all these? Does this give you any clues?

    By the way, thanks for letting me know about MSInfo32. There's a lot of
    good information there. Wonder why Microsoft doesn't put instructions about
    tools like this and "msconfig" in the manual they bind with the computer?
    It takes a query like this one to get information about them. I wonder how
    many other useful tools I'm still blissfuly ignorant about?

    Phil

> [...]
    > | >
    > | > "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any
    > partition. It
    > | > discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool
    > was
    > | > accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in
    > "Control
    > | > Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows
    > Update"
    > | > on your own.
    > | >
    > | > "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class,
    > created
    > | > by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    > | > "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?
    > | >
    > | > Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also
    > have
    > | > 384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    (1) Well, did you try the Scandisk/Defrag as I earlier posted, without
    letting them constantly restart?

    (2) Perhaps investigate ".log" & ".txt" files that may be constantly
    writing to the hard drive, using "START, FIND, Date tab". If you have
    any & never read them, there may be a way to switch them off.

    (3) Try a boot with minimal apps started. Did things improve?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281965
    How to Troubleshoot Using the Msconfig Utility with Windows 98
    (281965) - This article describes how to use the Microsoft System
    Configuration (Msconfig) utility to troubleshoot configuration errors in
    Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition.

    Careful with that one, though. Don't turn off System.ini or Win.ini,
    unless you know how to restore them in DOS.

    (4) Better take that list of Startup apps to one/more of the following.
    I know Office can be processor intensive. Also, the Microsoft Windows
    Critical Update Notification tool (wucrtupd.exe), I said earlier can get
    batty.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q137367
    Startup Items
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179365/ Startup Group
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheppard.p/startup.htm
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm
    http://www.djbdesigns.com/wtvzone/startup.html
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.html
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
    http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/start.htm
    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

> [...]
    | good information there. Wonder why Microsoft doesn't put instructions
    about
    | tools like this and "msconfig" in the manual they bind with the
    computer?
    | It takes a query like this one to get information about them. I
    wonder how
    | many other useful tools I'm still blissfuly ignorant about?
    |
    | Phil

    | > | I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup
    | > would
    | > | contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?
    | >
    | > Yep. But was it slow?
    | >
    | > | I think I'll just live with what I've got.
    | >
    | > Well, try the Scandisk/Defrag. Also, I guess show us what is in your
    | > Startup Group... "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment,
    | > Startup
    | > Programs". Use the Edit menu to copy, & post it.

    | > |
    | > | I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup
    | > would
    | > | contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?
    | > |
    | > | I think I'll just live with what I've got.
    | > |
    | > | Phil
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

> [...]