Slow computer, and request for "cleanup" help

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 31, 2005 3:27:50 AM

Hello!

I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my computer
is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out "temporary
internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files lying
around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get rid of
them?

For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the space
and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere. How do
I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use that's
better than "system maintenance"?

I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m computer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Phil
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:31:18 PM

Phil James wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my computer
> is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out "temporary
> internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
> maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files lying
> around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get rid of
> them?
>
> For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the space
> and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
> address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere. How do
> I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use that's
> better than "system maintenance"?
>
> I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m computer.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Phil

Hi!
Two choices, both "painfull".
a) Live with what you created.
b) Take a deep breath, wipe the drive clean and reinstall putting on
*only* those things that you touched at least two times in last three
months.
On ANY computer which is active at least six month you find
"memorabilia" of programs installed for curiosity and never used again.
To clean such mess is beyond human ability. (And not worth the effort)

So have fun.

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:29:19 PM

Before going on a big hunt for little files, I guess, as you've done a
lot of updating...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
"Scandisk /Checkonly", instead.)
REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
on your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

| Hello!
|
| I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my
computer
| is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out
"temporary
| internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
| maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files
lying
| around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get
rid of
| them?
|
| For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the
space
| and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
| address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere.
How do
| I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use
that's
| better than "system maintenance"?
|
| I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m
computer.

| Thanks for your thoughts.
|
| Phil

June 1, 2005 1:44:17 AM

Thanks, both of you.

I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup would
contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?

I think I'll just live with what I've got.

Phil

> [...]
> "temporary
> | internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
> | maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little files
> lying
> | around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I get
> rid of
> | them?
> |
> | For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on the
> space
> | and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my street
> | address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files somewhere.
> How do
> | I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use
> that's
> | better than "system maintenance"?
> |
> | I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:35:53 AM

| I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup
would
| contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?

Yep. But was it slow?

| I think I'll just live with what I've got.

Well, try the Scandisk/Defrag. Also, I guess show us what is in your
Startup Group... "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment,
Startup
Programs". Use the Edit menu to copy, & post it.

--
news:o K9p0SmZFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> [...]
| >
| > "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any
partition. It
| > discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool
was
| > accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in
"Control
| > Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows
Update"
| > on your own.
| >
| > "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class,
created
| > by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
| > "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?
| >
| > Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also
have
| > 384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

| > |
| > | Hello!
| > |
| > | I just downloaded Explorer 6 and about 18 security patches, and my
| > computer
| > | is running much slower than it did before. I've cleaned out
| > "temporary
| > | internet files," "history," and "cookies," and I've run "system
| > | maintenance," "spyware," and "adware." I know there are little
files
| > lying
| > | around on my computer that don't do anybody any good. How do I
get
| > rid of
| > | them?
| > |
| > | For example, when I respond to things with my email, I click on
the
| > space
| > | and a little box comes up with my email address. Same for my
street
| > | address, phone number, et al. Those must be little files
somewhere.
| > How do
| > | I delete them? Is there some "general cleanup software" I can use
| > that's
| > | better than "system maintenance"?
| > |
| > | I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m
| > computer.
| > |
| > | Thanks for your thoughts.
| > |
| > | Phil
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:04:32 PM

"Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:o K9p0SmZFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> Thanks, both of you.
>
> I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup would
> contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?
>
> I think I'll just live with what I've got.
>
> Phil

This is something pretty safe and easy to try.
Boot to the Startup Menu and select Command Prompt Only.
At the C:\ prompt, type smartdrv and press Enter.
Now type scanreg /opt /fix and press Enter.
Repeat the scanreg /opt /fix three times.
This helps to 'fix' the Registry and compress it.
It may or may not help your problem, but it is definitely is worth a try.
I would also try PCR's suggestions.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:20:09 PM

OK, here's what's in the MSInfo32 startup group listing:

Startup Group

Microsoft Office C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE -b -l
Dr Watson C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE

Registry (Machine Run)

SystemTray SysTray.Exe
TrackPointSrv daemon.exe
LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
PRPCMonitor PRPCUI.exe
ConfigSafe C:\CFGSAFE\AUTOCHK.EXE
IBMUltraBayHotSwapSound c:\windows\SYSTEM\IBMBAYSN.EXE
TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe
TpHotkey C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\UTILIT~1\TPHKMGR.EXE
IBMUltraBayHotSwapCPLLoader c:\windows\SYSTEM\IBMBAY2M.EXE
SoundFusion RunDll32 cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
Ati2cwxx Ati2cwxx.exe
AtiPTA Atiptaxx.exe
MCAgentExe C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
MCUpdateExe C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
VirusScan Online C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
MPTBox C:\PROGRA~1\CANON\MULTIP~1\MPTBOX.EXE
InstantAccess C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\INSTAN~1.EXE /h
RegisterDropHandler C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\REGIST~1.EXE
MP_STATUS_MONITOR C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS\monitr32.exe I
PDirect C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\UTILIT~1\PDirect.exe
VSOCheckTask C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE /checktask
QuickTime Task C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE -atboottime
Zone Labs Client C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
IrMon IrMon.exe
HP CD-Writer C:\Program Files\HP CD-Writer\Mmenu\hpcdtray.exe
Adaptec DirectCD C:\PROGRA~1\HPCD-W~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
CriticalUpdate c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup

Registry (Machine Service)

mgavrtclexe C:\WINDOWS\MCBin\AV\Rt\mgavrte.exe
LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
ATIPOLAB ati2plxx.exe
IBMPMSVC IBMPMSVC.EXE -HELPER
TrueVector C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
MiniLog C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
RegisterDropHandler C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\REGIST~1.EXE
SchedulingAgent mstask.exe
McVsRte C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
KB891711 c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

Do I need all these? Does this give you any clues?

By the way, thanks for letting me know about MSInfo32. There's a lot of
good information there. Wonder why Microsoft doesn't put instructions about
tools like this and "msconfig" in the manual they bind with the computer?
It takes a query like this one to get information about them. I wonder how
many other useful tools I'm still blissfuly ignorant about?

Phil

> [...]
> | >
> | > "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any
> partition. It
> | > discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool
> was
> | > accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in
> "Control
> | > Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows
> Update"
> | > on your own.
> | >
> | > "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class,
> created
> | > by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
> | > "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?
> | >
> | > Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also
> have
> | > 384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:05:38 AM

(1) Well, did you try the Scandisk/Defrag as I earlier posted, without
letting them constantly restart?

(2) Perhaps investigate ".log" & ".txt" files that may be constantly
writing to the hard drive, using "START, FIND, Date tab". If you have
any & never read them, there may be a way to switch them off.

(3) Try a boot with minimal apps started. Did things improve?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281965
How to Troubleshoot Using the Msconfig Utility with Windows 98
(281965) - This article describes how to use the Microsoft System
Configuration (Msconfig) utility to troubleshoot configuration errors in
Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition.

Careful with that one, though. Don't turn off System.ini or Win.ini,
unless you know how to restore them in DOS.

(4) Better take that list of Startup apps to one/more of the following.
I know Office can be processor intensive. Also, the Microsoft Windows
Critical Update Notification tool (wucrtupd.exe), I said earlier can get
batty.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q137367
Startup Items
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179365/ Startup Group
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheppard.p/startup.htm
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...
http://www.djbdesigns.com/wtvzone/startup.html
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm
http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.html
http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/start.htm
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

> [...]
| good information there. Wonder why Microsoft doesn't put instructions
about
| tools like this and "msconfig" in the manual they bind with the
computer?
| It takes a query like this one to get information about them. I
wonder how
| many other useful tools I'm still blissfuly ignorant about?
|
| Phil

| > | I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup
| > would
| > | contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?
| >
| > Yep. But was it slow?
| >
| > | I think I'll just live with what I've got.
| >
| > Well, try the Scandisk/Defrag. Also, I guess show us what is in your
| > Startup Group... "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment,
| > Startup
| > Programs". Use the Edit menu to copy, & post it.

| > |
| > | I usually back up copying to CD-ROMs -- full system! But a backup
| > would
| > | contain all the files I want to get rid of, wouldn't it?
| > |
| > | I think I'll just live with what I've got.
| > |
| > | Phil
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

> [...]