  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 31, 2005 11:12:11 AM

Hi:

I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to remove
the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?

Thanks.

Adam

More about : deleting user password

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:02:03 PM

"adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi:
>
> I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to
> remove the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?

If you're using Windows Logon or Microsoft Family Logon, you can go to your
\windows folder and find the file "username.pwl" and delete it. The next
time you boot, the prompt will come up again. Type in anything for a
username and leave the password blank. After that, you shouldn't be asked
again. If you're using "Client for Microsoft Networks" as your primary
logon, then you'll need to go to Network Properties and change the primary
login to Windows logon.
Note: If you have actually created a user profile, then it gets a little
more complicated. In that case, you'll have to bypass the login by using
the escape key instead of using the password and Enter. Then go to Control
Panel and Users and delete the user. This will take away all your
customized desktop settings. Chances are you haven't created a user profile
unless you had more than one user set up.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
May 31, 2005 4:01:29 PM

"adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to
> remove
> the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Adam

search for and delete all files like *.PWL
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:32:56 PM

If you have ever had any personal information on the PC that you would not
want the person to see, you had better do more than delete the user name and
password. Even uninstalling or deleting stuff may not be adequate as there
is software that can retrieve info from the hard disk providing it has not
been overwritten. If you need more info, post back.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour