Deleting User Name and Password

Hi:

I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to remove
the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?

Thanks.

Adam
3 answers Last reply
More about deleting user password

    "adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Hi:
    >
    > I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to
    > remove the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?

    If you're using Windows Logon or Microsoft Family Logon, you can go to your
    \windows folder and find the file "username.pwl" and delete it. The next
    time you boot, the prompt will come up again. Type in anything for a
    username and leave the password blank. After that, you shouldn't be asked
    again. If you're using "Client for Microsoft Networks" as your primary
    logon, then you'll need to go to Network Properties and change the primary
    login to Windows logon.
    Note: If you have actually created a user profile, then it gets a little
    more complicated. In that case, you'll have to bypass the login by using
    the escape key instead of using the password and Enter. Then go to Control
    Panel and Users and delete the user. This will take away all your
    customized desktop settings. Chances are you haven't created a user profile
    unless you had more than one user set up.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    "adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to
    > remove
    > the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Adam

    search for and delete all files like *.PWL

    If you have ever had any personal information on the PC that you would not
    want the person to see, you had better do more than delete the user name and
    password. Even uninstalling or deleting stuff may not be adequate as there
    is software that can retrieve info from the hard disk providing it has not
    been overwritten. If you need more info, post back.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am giving my Gateway PC (running Win 98 SE) to someone and want to
    > remove
    > the startup Username and Password prompts. How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Adam

Microsoft Gateway Windows