Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

98 to 98SE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:02:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have a copy of 98SE which I would like to instal
over the top of my existing 98, but I do not want
to lose even a morsel of what is on my comp/system.
It is a dual boot with XP.

Yes, No, Maybe.
Its the 'maybe' that I am posting for, regarding loss or probability
of loss. (& any examples of possibilities)

Good thoughts appreciated, especially from any similar
sojourners.

...Rex..

More about : 98se

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:02:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#t$rH1eZFHA.3712
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> I have a copy of 98SE which I would like to instal
> over the top of my existing 98, but I do not want
> to lose even a morsel of what is on my comp/system.
> It is a dual boot with XP.
>
> Yes, No, Maybe.
> Its the 'maybe' that I am posting for, regarding loss or probability
> of loss. (& any examples of possibilities)

If 98 is on C, and XP on another drive, no problem. When you get done,
you'll notice that Windows (98) will be on top of XP in your boot menu. You
can change that back from within XP if you want.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:35:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Then 'so far so good'.
You shoot from the hip with reply speed Menno,
much appreciated, it must have been all of ten minutes.
I will give it 24 hours for all opinions, but I hope yours
wins hands-down.
In reply to drives; 98 is on C: XP is on D: & Miscellaneous
on E:

...Rex..
> If 98 is on C, and XP on another drive, no problem. When you get done,
> you'll notice that Windows (98) will be on top of XP in your boot menu.
You
> can change that back from within XP if you want.
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Related resources
June 1, 2005 4:35:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eHPZiHfZFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Then 'so far so good'.
> You shoot from the hip with reply speed Menno,
> much appreciated, it must have been all of ten minutes.
> I will give it 24 hours for all opinions, but I hope yours
> wins hands-down.
> In reply to drives; 98 is on C: XP is on D: & Miscellaneous
> on E:
>
> ..Rex..
>> If 98 is on C, and XP on another drive, no problem. When you get done,
>> you'll notice that Windows (98) will be on top of XP in your boot menu.
> You
>> can change that back from within XP if you want.
>>
>> --
>> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
>
>
I'll second Menno on that configuration
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:49:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Just realised, the focal point of my original post is
solely related to Loss of files & any other loss that would
make my computer react in any different way that what I am used to.
I catagorise this as "lost, tampered with, half-available, corrupt,
or cannot be found" file loss. (very irritating when unnecessary)
I have many many Utilities whereby the registry is working
overtime doing its job, so I would like to know if the over-write
takes all of this into consideration......... Drivers as well.
Also, are all previous microsoft 'updates' Adopted by the new
S.E?

I like to get things right the first time, it saves all of the
aggro during the obvious following repairs.

thanks

...Rex..
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9667630FA4D15butter@daisymae.com...
> "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#t$rH1eZFHA.3712
> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
> > I have a copy of 98SE which I would like to instal
> > over the top of my existing 98, but I do not want
> > to lose even a morsel of what is on my comp/system.
> > It is a dual boot with XP.
> >
> > Yes, No, Maybe.
> > Its the 'maybe' that I am posting for, regarding loss or probability
> > of loss. (& any examples of possibilities)
>
> If 98 is on C, and XP on another drive, no problem. When you get done,
> you'll notice that Windows (98) will be on top of XP in your boot menu.
You
> can change that back from within XP if you want.
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
June 1, 2005 4:49:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ZcVJPfZFHA.2376@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Just realised, the focal point of my original post is
> solely related to Loss of files & any other loss that would
> make my computer react in any different way that what I am used to.
> I catagorise this as "lost, tampered with, half-available, corrupt,
> or cannot be found" file loss. (very irritating when unnecessary)
> I have many many Utilities whereby the registry is working
> overtime doing its job, so I would like to know if the over-write
> takes all of this into consideration......... Drivers as well.
> Also, are all previous microsoft 'updates' Adopted by the new
> S.E?
>
> I like to get things right the first time, it saves all of the
> aggro during the obvious following repairs.
>
> thanks
>
> ..Rex..
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns9667630FA4D15butter@daisymae.com...
>> "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#t$rH1eZFHA.3712
>> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>>
>> > I have a copy of 98SE which I would like to instal
>> > over the top of my existing 98, but I do not want
>> > to lose even a morsel of what is on my comp/system.
>> > It is a dual boot with XP.
>> >
>> > Yes, No, Maybe.
>> > Its the 'maybe' that I am posting for, regarding loss or probability
>> > of loss. (& any examples of possibilities)
>>
>> If 98 is on C, and XP on another drive, no problem. When you get done,
>> you'll notice that Windows (98) will be on top of XP in your boot menu.
> You
>> can change that back from within XP if you want.
>>
>> --
>> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
>
>

the only problem with an over install is if you overwrite a file with an
older version ...google "dll hell"

you end up having to reinstall a bunch of software ...(personally , I wipe
my computer once or twice a year and build fresh :> )
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:37:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Just do a backup before you start, so if there's any problem you can restore
the whole partition.

There's no guarantee with any procedure like this that something unexpected
won't happen. There's no way that anyone here can verify that everything
you have installed is completely compatible with Windows 98se.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ZcVJPfZFHA.2376@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Just realised, the focal point of my original post is
> solely related to Loss of files & any other loss that would
> make my computer react in any different way that what I am used to.
> I catagorise this as "lost, tampered with, half-available, corrupt,
> or cannot be found" file loss. (very irritating when unnecessary)
> I have many many Utilities whereby the registry is working
> overtime doing its job, so I would like to know if the over-write
> takes all of this into consideration......... Drivers as well.
> Also, are all previous microsoft 'updates' Adopted by the new
> S.E?
>
> I like to get things right the first time, it saves all of the
> aggro during the obvious following repairs.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:21:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> Just do a backup before you start, so if there's any problem you can
restore
> the whole partition.
>
> There's no guarantee with any procedure like this that something
unexpected
> won't happen. There's no way that anyone here can verify that everything
> you have installed is completely compatible with Windows 98se.
> --
> Jeff Richards

Yes, aint that the truth.
Thanks Jeff, I prefer a 'between the eyes answer', it makes me take
stock and realise it is my decision and that 'yes', there is a chance
many things could actually go wrong.
I will ponder it for a while.
Thank you to other contributors also.

...Rex..
!