Yullin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Good day :D

I have the Intel D920 (2.8 Ghz) with 2 X 512 MB ( 533 Mhz) Corsair value select modules.

My board is the ASUS P5WD2-E (975X).

I would like to overclock the processor to 3.0 Ghz.

What is the best way to do this and which voltages should I increase e.g. Vcore and memory.

Thanks

If there are any good overclocking guides, please point them out :)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Enter into your BIOS and find the the value for FSB on the ASUS systems usualy you can raise or lower it at 1Mhz increments. Try raising the FSB a little at a time and see how you can do before you increase the voltage. I would try like 5Mhz the first time and see what that will get you depending on the multiplyer that could get you what you want 200 more Mhz :) or a little more or less (I dont know your multiplyer off hand lol) You should be able to do that with out any voltage change. See how that runs play some games check your temps and if everything is fine you could try and OC it a little more... Save the voltages as a last resort becouse they will make your CPU hotter then just OCing. I doubt it is the same with yours but I only upped my voltage a very tiny bit something like .025 volts and it allowed me to hit a 1Ghz OC if I went higher I would worry about heat and some other issues.

try like 5Mhz the first time and see what that will get you depending on the multiplyer that could get you what you want 200 more Mhz :)

200 mhz overclock / fsb increase of 5 mhz = 40 multiplier.

I doubt Intel uses a mutliplier of 40, I'm just an AMD noob thought.

Correct me if I am wrong:

Pentium D:

Stock Frequency: 2,800 mhz
Stock FSB: 400/800
2,800 / 400 = 7 (multiplier)
3,000 / 7 = 428.571 <--- the FSB needed to achieve 3,000 with a multiplier of 7.

Of course, don't jump right to that frequency, you must inch your way up and test for stability.

Good luck.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
It should not be a problem, Hopefully you have aftermarket cooling right? it might do it with stock air. The fsb is what you want to change true it will have to go to 215 to get to 3.0ghz with a multiplier of 14. Its should not be a problem.
Me personally i would just set it to 215 and test it right from there but the safe way would be to do fsb increments of 5 and then test.

Yullin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Great :)

FSB is at 215 and speed is now 3.0 Ghz.

Should I increase the memory to 1.9 volts ( Corsair Value Select 512 MB - 533 Mhz )

The system seems pretty stable.

I have also set an option in the BIOS to turbo and my results from SiSoft Sandra are up in both memory bandwidth and processor results.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
You need to do more testing run some heavy apps for an hour or two keeping an eye on your cpu temp make sure its stable. I'd say dont touch voltages till you have to. Every ramp up of 15 on the fsb i usually run cpu burn in (2x for dual core) for a couple of hours then run pcmark - 3d mark see if its stable then go up?
what hsf are you using? stock?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
try like 5Mhz the first time and see what that will get you depending on the multiplyer that could get you what you want 200 more Mhz :)

200 mhz overclock / fsb increase of 5 mhz = 40 multiplier.

I doubt Intel uses a mutliplier of 40, I'm just an AMD noob thought.

Correct me if I am wrong:

Pentium D:

Stock Frequency: 2,800 mhz
Stock FSB: 400/800
2,800 / 400 = 7 (multiplier)
3,000 / 7 = 428.571 <--- the FSB needed to achieve 3,000 with a multiplier of 7.

Of course, don't jump right to that frequency, you must inch your way up and test for stability.

Good luck.

Well it depends on how your BIOS list the FSB if its like mine it gives the actual mhz like 100Mhz +5 would actualy work out to be 5X4X(multiplyer)so if its 20 then that would be 400 (probably the multiplyer is something around 15 but I was trying to be safe lol)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Good day :D

I have the Intel D920 (2.8 Ghz) with 2 X 512 MB ( 533 Mhz) Corsair value select modules.

My board is the ASUS P5WD2-E (975X).

I would like to overclock the processor to 3.0 Ghz.

What is the best way to do this and which voltages should I increase e.g. Vcore and memory.

Thanks

If there are any good overclocking guides, please point them out :)

Well you can start off by raising the FSB without adjusting any voltage. You have first find the "stable spot" with the highest FSB with normal V-core voltage. I'm sure your can get 10% overclock with the cpu without changing any voltage, but it would be your Corsair Value Select rams that would limit your cpu's overclocking potential. When you increase the frequency of the cpu you have to adjust the memory as well in order to compensate for the overclocking. There's two way you can adjust this ram, one would be decreasing the frequency and the other would be loosening the timings. I'm sure your rams has a cas latency of 4 and it would be best to decrease the frequency rather than loosening the timings to get better stabitity and performance. Overclocking relies mainly on the hardwares for stability and different hardwares have different overclocking potential as well. So it's up to you to get the best or optimum settings for overclocking.

Here's my suggestion for a start. Change your ram's frequency from 533 to 400 without changing any voltage or timings. The timings however will automatically be adjusted by the motherboard and would get tighter timings. Then adjust the FSB from 800 to 860, again without changing any voltage and then save and restart to see if you have a stable window. If it's not stable then try loosening the rams timings or lower FSB, again like I said before, your ram is only good for mild overclocking. If you have a stable window then try testing it with the most demanding task your computer is used for in real applications. You could however get some cpu stress test but it doesn't apply to real applications. So if your pc is stable enough to run the most demanding task you used for your pc then it's good. One thing also and keep an eye on your temps during overclocking especially when changing voltages. Good Luck. :)

pat

Expert
When one is advised to go to the right forum to post his question, why do there is always someone to post an answer, making 2 threads about the same thing in 2 different section..

Why is it soooooooo complicated to understand!!

Thread closed[/closed]