USB Key Drive

Mr

Hi.
I have Windows 98 on Emachines Cpu.
My USB Key Drive doesn't work on it.
It installs the hardware, but it asks for Drivers??????

"MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have Windows 98 on Emachines Cpu.
> My USB Key Drive doesn't work on it.
> It installs the hardware, but it asks for Drivers??????

USB devices usually require their own drivers.
Win98 came with USB version 1,
Win98SE with USB version 2.
What version does your key drive require?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

USB key drives are not supported natively in Win98/98SE. You must install drivers
from the key drive manufacturer specifically for Win98/98SE, if they have them. The
drivers, if the manufacturer made them, are either on a disc that came with the key
drive, or at the manufacturer's web site. Check the package to see if they give any
info regarding Win9x driver availability.

If the manufacturer does not supply Win9x drivers, you cannot use the device with
Win98/98SE.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have Windows 98 on Emachines Cpu.
> My USB Key Drive doesn't work on it.
> It installs the hardware, but it asks for Drivers??????

Hi,

"MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have Windows 98 on Emachines Cpu.
> My USB Key Drive doesn't work on it.
> It installs the hardware, but it asks for Drivers??????

If you have english Windows 98SE, than you can install
Native USB drivers 2.2:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605
http://rapidshare.de/files/1217842/nusb22e.exe.html

BTW, disconnect all USB devices before installation!

Mr

ROMAN, GLEE OR DON,
I was given the following Driver:
USB2_DRIVE_98.ZIP
but I have WINDOWS 98 (Not SE)
It doesn't seem to be working??? Windows still can't find Driver?

> ROMAN, GLEE OR DON,
> I was given the following Driver:
> USB2_DRIVE_98.ZIP
> but I have WINDOWS 98 (Not SE)
> It doesn't seem to be working??? Windows still can't find Driver?

That's not a driver. That is a ZIP file.

Did you unzip it and run the setup or install program?

Mr

I extracted Zip file to Floppy Disk. Then I hooked up the USB Key Drive and
restarted CPU. Upon restarting, Windows asks to install Drivers for new
Hardware.
I use the A:Drive, but Windows still says "Can't find Driver"

> I extracted Zip file to Floppy Disk. Then I hooked up the USB Key Drive
and
> restarted CPU. Upon restarting, Windows asks to install Drivers for new
> Hardware.
> I use the A:Drive, but Windows still says "Can't find Driver"

That's because you haven't installed the driver.

Windows 98 requires "drivers first", which is
the opposite of Windows XP, which wants "hardware first".

You need to extract the ZIP file to a temporary folder
on the hard drive, and then execute it
in order to install the driver.

You should reboot to make sure that Windows registers the driver.

Then hook up the Key Drive.

This is all assuming that you have USB support enabled in the BIOS?.

> "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
>

> > "MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > ROMAN, GLEE OR DON,
> > > I was given the following Driver:
> > > USB2_DRIVE_98.ZIP
> > > but I have WINDOWS 98 (Not SE)
> > > It doesn't seem to be working??? Windows still can't find Driver?
> >
> > That's not a driver. That is a ZIP file.
> >
> > Did you unzip it and run the setup or install program?

Mr

When I try to execute the Zip File (after extracting it)..nothing happens

> When I try to execute the Zip File (after extracting it)..nothing happens

What are the names of the unzipped files?

"Given the following driver" by whom? If it is not the manufacturer's Win98 driver
for that device, it will not work. Additionally, it must be a driver for your
version of Win98, which you say is the original version rather than 98SE.

What is in the .zip file, and where did you get it?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ROMAN, GLEE OR DON,
> I was given the following Driver:
> USB2_DRIVE_98.ZIP
> but I have WINDOWS 98 (Not SE)
> It doesn't seem to be working??? Windows still can't find Driver?
>
> "roman modic" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > "MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi.
> > > I have Windows 98 on Emachines Cpu.
> > > My USB Key Drive doesn't work on it.
> > > It installs the hardware, but it asks for Drivers??????
> >
> > If you have english Windows 98SE, than you can install
> > Native USB drivers 2.2:
> >
> > http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605
> > http://rapidshare.de/files/1217842/nusb22e.exe.html
> >

> > BTW, disconnect all USB devices before installation!

Mr

GLEE AND HUGH,

I was given the USB Key Drive for home use bythe IT Dept. IT Dept. emailed
me the Drivers ina Zip File when I told them I have Original Windows 98.
Th files are:

LEXARSTO.sys
LEXARST0.INF
LEXARPD0.PDR
LEXARFLO.SYS
LEXAREJ0.EXE

> GLEE AND HUGH,
>
> I was given the USB Key Drive for home use bythe IT Dept. IT Dept. emailed
> me the Drivers ina Zip File when I told them I have Original Windows 98.
> Th files are:
>
> LEXARSTO.sys
> LEXARST0.INF
> LEXARPD0.PDR
> LEXARFLO.SYS
> LEXAREJ0.EXE

I "suspect" that LEXAREJ0.EXE is
a self extracting .exe file
that you need to execute to install the drivers.

Contact the IT department for installation instructions,
or run LEXAREJ0.EXE if you feel adventurous,
which I don't recommend until you talk to IT.

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> "MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > GLEE AND HUGH,
> >
> > I was given the USB Key Drive for home use bythe IT Dept. IT Dept. emailed
> > me the Drivers ina Zip File when I told them I have Original Windows 98.
> > Th files are:
> >
> > LEXARSTO.sys
> > LEXARST0.INF
> > LEXARPD0.PDR
> > LEXARFLO.SYS
> > LEXAREJ0.EXE
>
> I "suspect" that LEXAREJ0.EXE is
> a self extracting .exe file
> that you need to execute to install the drivers.

Apparently not....googling LEXAREJ0.EXE indicates that it is an app known as
Necutray, that loads from the Run key in the Registry. I am guessing that it is a
system tray applet for the USB key, that runs at startup after it has been
installed.

> Contact the IT department for installation instructions,
> or run LEXAREJ0.EXE if you feel adventurous,
> which I don't recommend until you talk to IT.

I agree....the OP needs to deal with the IT department since they supplied the key
and the drivers.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > "Given the following driver" by whom? If it is not the manufacturer's
> Win98 driver
> > > for that device, it will not work. Additionally, it must be a driver
> for your
> > > version of Win98, which you say is the original version rather than
> 98SE.
> > >
> > > What is in the .zip file, and where did you get it?
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> > >
> > > "MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Even though you acquired the driver files from the IT dept, make sure they are
the correct ones for the jump drive ( model not mentioned in any post by
yourself ) by checking the Lexar site.
http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/

All I find on their site, half of them state in the requirements 98SE and up, no
mention of 98 and the other half require W2K and up. If you do happen to get the
correct drivers and still have problems even after discussing it with your IT
dept., you can contact Lexar directly thru Live Web Chat, email or phone.
http://www.lexar.com/support/index.html

You may also if you wish, try the install instructions on their site.
http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >
> > "MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > GLEE AND HUGH,
> > >
> > > I was given the USB Key Drive for home use bythe IT Dept. IT Dept.
emailed
> > > me the Drivers ina Zip File when I told them I have Original Windows
98.
> > > Th files are:
> > >
> > > LEXARSTO.sys
> > > LEXARST0.INF
> > > LEXARPD0.PDR
> > > LEXARFLO.SYS
> > > LEXAREJ0.EXE
> >
> > I "suspect" that LEXAREJ0.EXE is
> > a self extracting .exe file
> > that you need to execute to install the drivers.
>
> Apparently not....googling LEXAREJ0.EXE indicates that it is an app known
as
> Necutray, that loads from the Run key in the Registry. I am guessing that
it is a
> system tray applet for the USB key, that runs at startup after it has been
> installed.

Thank you, sir. Duly noted.

> > Contact the IT department for installation instructions,
> > or run LEXAREJ0.EXE if you feel adventurous,
> > which I don't recommend until you talk to IT.
>
> I agree....the OP needs to deal with the IT department since they supplied
the key
> and the drivers.

Makes you wonder, sometimes.....

I wonder why the IT department didn't make sure
that the OP was given the proper instructions.

I wonder why the IT department didn't follow up
with the OP to make sure that the install was successful.

I wonder why the OP came here instead of going back
to the IT department.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:06:55 -0400, glee wrote:

> USB key drives are not supported natively in Win98/98SE.

Are they supported natively in XP?

Yes, they are. Also in Windows 2000 and (generally) Windows Me.

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:04:24 -0400, Richard G. Harper wrote:

> Yes, they are. Also in Windows 2000 and (generally) Windows Me.

Thanks, Richard.

You're welcome.

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:04:24 -0400, Richard G. Harper wrote:
>
>> Yes, they are. Also in Windows 2000 and (generally) Windows Me.
>
> Thanks, Richard.

On 06/03/2005 1:43 AM Hugh Candlin performed amanuensis:

>"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
>>

>>>"MR" <MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>emailed

>98.

>>>I "suspect" that LEXAREJ0.EXE is
>>>a self extracting .exe file
>>>that you need to execute to install the drivers.
>>>

>>Apparently not....googling LEXAREJ0.EXE indicates that it is an app known
>>

>as
>

>>Necutray, that loads from the Run key in the Registry. I am guessing that
>>

>it is a
>

>>system tray applet for the USB key, that runs at startup after it has been
>>installed.
>>

>Thank you, sir. Duly noted.
>

>>>Contact the IT department for installation instructions,
>>>or run LEXAREJ0.EXE if you feel adventurous,
>>>which I don't recommend until you talk to IT.
>>>

>>I agree....the OP needs to deal with the IT department since they supplied
>>

>the key
>

>>and the drivers.
>>

>Makes you wonder, sometimes.....
>
>I wonder why the IT department didn't make sure
>that the OP was given the proper instructions.
>
>I wonder why the IT department didn't follow up
>with the OP to make sure that the install was successful.
>
>I wonder why the OP came here instead of going back
>to the IT department.

I did some work in IT Helpdesk for a major pharmaceutical corporation.
People in sales and accounting generally either loose instructions or
don't listen when you tell them in simple 1., 2. 3.. I've even had to
step a user through a simple printer capture process several times
before he got it. On follow-up calls I've learned to tell when users
are bending the truth so they don't look like idiots. They'll admit
that they have software xyz captured and working on their pc when they
haven't. Research guys on the other extreme always wanted more steps
and detailed explanation than really needed to complete a task. Some of
them will want applications to do specialized things without submitting
the specs to the Programmers.

Every IT department has it's own protocol for giving user help.
Generally speaking it's a good idea to provide the version of your OS,
RAM (random access memory), if your machine has USB 1.1 or 2.x ports,
and Manuf. Name and model of the key drive.

If your machine has 1.1 drivers for 2.x aren't going to work, also if
the peripheral (key drive) in this case, only supports 2.x and your
machine has 1.1 - no go. Purchase and installation of a USB 2.x card
may be needed. I faced a similar problem when installing a USB external
HDD. It only supported USB 2.x Windows 98 doesn't do USB 2.x the
specification came after Win 98 was finalized. I had to upgrade to Win
98SE. Fortunately I was able to to find a reseller that had Win98SE
Upgrade CD in stock. (Why not XT? I have an old P-III class machine
going to XP was not doable.)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera