How do you password-protect a Win98 computer?

Hello, everyone. I'm trying to find a way to password-protect a Win98
computer such that everyone who wants to use the computer must enter a
username/password before obtaining any access. I'm not sure if this is
called an administrator's password or what. Any help in figuring out
how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
jegaldun

"jegaldun" <jegaldun.1pydnz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to find a way to password-protect a Win98
> computer such that everyone who wants to use the computer must enter a
> username/password before obtaining any access. I'm not sure if this is
> called an administrator's password or what.

Win98 does not enable this. Its Logon menu can
always be bypassed. Your options using Win98 are
1. BIOS password (before anyone can start the PC;
everyone must use the same PW.)
2. Third-party software.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

HAGGIS

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "jegaldun" <jegaldun.1pydnz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'm trying to find a way to password-protect a Win98
>> computer such that everyone who wants to use the computer must enter a
>> username/password before obtaining any access. I'm not sure if this is
>> called an administrator's password or what.
>
> Win98 does not enable this. Its Logon menu can
> always be bypassed. Your options using Win98 are
> 1. BIOS password (before anyone can start the PC;
> everyone must use the same PW.)
> 2. Third-party software.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

look under security on this page ...but be VERY careful ...you can lock
yourself out :>

http://www.dougknox.com/

There is a way to set it up so that if someone bypasses the Logon prompt
(e.g. Esc) you can immediately log them back off the system. I have the
relevant docs saved somewhere so maybe someone else can point you to a
better more immediate source.

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "jegaldun" <jegaldun.1pydnz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
>
> > I'm trying to find a way to password-protect a Win98
> > computer such that everyone who wants to use the computer must enter a
> > username/password before obtaining any access. I'm not sure if this is
> > called an administrator's password or what.
>
> Win98 does not enable this. Its Logon menu can
> always be bypassed. Your options using Win98 are
> 1. BIOS password (before anyone can start the PC;
> everyone must use the same PW.)
> 2. Third-party software.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Although there are different ways to accomplish this, there is always a
possibility that someone with some computer savvy can bypass them.
One way is to set a password in the bios if the option is available. Anyone
that knows how to get into the BIOS and is familiar with them can easily remove
the password unless the BIOS is password protected as well and others have no
way to get inside the box to reset the BIOS defaults.
Another way to set a password is suggested here:
http://registry.winguides.com/display.php?629

MVP Doug Knox has a way on his site as well:
http://www.dougknox.com/
Click on Security > Prevent Unauthorized Users from accessing your computer.
Read the instructions fully, it is possible to lock yourself out of your own
computer.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }