Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail is what I got off newegg.com. I put a ATI x1900xt, 2gb of ocz gx gold ram @ ddr500, a seagate 160 BG SATAII 3gb/s HD, and a amd 64 opteron 170 dual-core. It's all in a Thermaltake Armor case. I installed everything, and it was all connected correctly according to various guides included with the motherboard. One thing is, my thermaltake big typhoon is wobbling a tiny bit from side to side. However, it's rock solid when i move it up and down when the computer is standing up, so it should be fine.

Also, the problem was inherent with my computer. After i booted from CD to install 64 windows, and it rebooted, my computer freezed up. All the fans went into overdrive, and a red led was going on in my case for the cylinder symbol. I opened the case up, set the jumper to cmos reset (2/3) and rebooted. Should I have just set it to 2/3, and back to 1/2, or just leave it at 2/3. I set it to 2/3 and kept it there, and rebooted. Success. I installed 64 bit, and when I rebooted, ame problem! After that, I had to switch the cmos jumper to normal, reboot, and back to clear to get it working. That's one problem, my mobo has problem rebooting. Anone have possible mistakes i did, or things i forgot to do?

Secondly, i was using windows 64. My sound card drivers didn't work (xfi platinum), and my cpu registered at 1.94 ghz in the system menu. Is the just the windows 64bit version that messes this up? Also, the internet for the motherboard didn't work. I used the drivers that came with the cd, and after I installed, rebooted (went trough the jumper process), and it didn't work. Is that the 64 bit windows too?

So:

1. Does Windows 64 bit screw up drivers? My sound card and internet don't work on it.

2. What is wrong with my motherboard/booting up problems? Could it be my motherboard? My sound card? My sound card is firmly seated in the PCI slot, and that's its only connection to the board. However, it was recognized when i installed the drivers. When i rebooted (all that jumper crap), it registered, but when i hit volume control, it said no device was there. I didn't have a headphones/speakers in it at that time. is that it?

Also, how many connections to power supply should I have? I have 4 connections for power so far.

Should I just install Windows XP 32 bit?

My main problem is the motherboard no being able to boot up. What can I do to fix it? Please ask me questions about specific problems so I can answer.

Thank you all very much.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Windows 64 should work with the drivers but if you can find them DL the 64 bit versions of the drivers... The reason is that some of the 32 bit drivers act a bit buggy under Windows 64 (or at least they used too) I will know more on monday becouse im doing this upgrade as well (well not the same mobo but the OS)

Edit: Also under the controll panel check to see that your sound card is the one selected to be used... you may have to reselect it from the upgrade. Same thing for the network drivers ?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
First off, when you reset the CMOS each time, you did remove the battery correct? To do a proper CMOS clear, these steps must be followed (in order)
1. Shut off computer.
2. Remove PSU cable.
3. Turn on computer (without cables) to drain capaciters.
4. Remove the battery.
5. Set CMOS jumper to 2-3
6. Wait at least 30 seconds then set it back.
7. Reinstall the battery.
8. Plug everything back in.
9. It may be necessary to use a single DIMM from the second to top slot.
BTW, DFI Ultra-D's are EXTREMELY whiny about the dumbest crap. I had one. I got sick of RMA'ing the stupid piece of sh*t.
BTW, even though X64 bit is the "future", future programs will support it blah blah blah blah blah etc, Windows X64 is a joke. The drivers on your DFI cd are 32 bit, most likely the same for the sound card as well. Get NForce4 drivers in 64 bit from another computer and transfer them, if not get rid of X64 altogether.
Also, at what point does the computer restart? When Windows just takes over to load, before DFI gets past the BIOS screen?

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
Windows 64 should work with the drivers but if you can find them DL the 64 bit versions of the drivers... The reason is that some of the 32 bit drivers act a bit buggy under Windows 64 (or at least they used too) I will know more on monday becouse im doing this upgrade as well (well not the same mobo but the OS)

Edit: Also under the controll panel check to see that your sound card is the one selected to be used... you may have to reselect it from the upgrade. Same thing for the network drivers ?

Okay, I'm going to ditch 64 bit for the moment.

First off, when you reset the CMOS each time, you did remove the battery correct? To do a proper CMOS clear, these steps must be followed (in order)
1. Shut off computer.
2. Remove PSU cable.
4. Remove the battery.
BTW, DFI Ultra-D's are EXTREMELY whiny about the dumbest crap. I had one. I got sick of RMA'ing the stupid piece of sh*t.
BTW, even though X64 bit is the "future", future programs will support it blah blah blah blah blah etc, Windows X64 is a joke. The drivers on your DFI cd are 32 bit, most likely the same for the sound card as well. Get NForce4 drivers in 64 bit from another computer and transfer them, if not get rid of X64 altogether.
Also, at what point does the computer restart? When Windows just takes over to load, before DFI gets past the BIOS screen?

The computer, when I restart it, freezes before it even hits bios.

I didn't do those steps, I will try it. I'm not sure if it will work however.

So, if I use normal XP, can i use the 32 bit nf4 drivers on the cd?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

1. Shut off computer.
2. Remove PSU cable.
4. Remove the battery.

If you didn't remove the battery, you didn't even touch the CMOS.
The drivers on the DFI cd are 32 bit.
However, with the locking up-definately motherboard. Get the latest BIOS and put it on a floppy to be loaded on it. After that, if it still does it mess with different BIOS options-turn down HTT, cool'n'quiet, try voltage...run things slower, etc. till you can get a boot. Like I said, that board is a pain in the ass.

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004

1. Shut off computer.
2. Remove PSU cable.
4. Remove the battery.

If you didn't remove the battery, you didn't even touch the CMOS.
The drivers on the DFI cd are 32 bit.
However, with the locking up-definately motherboard. Get the latest BIOS and put it on a floppy to be loaded on it. After that, if it still does it mess with different BIOS options-turn down HTT, cool'n'quiet, try voltage...run things slower, etc. till you can get a boot. Like I said, that board is a pain in the ass.

Okay, get a floppy with latest BIOS, and boot from floppy right. I have to reset the battery to reset CMOS. Another thing, the problem is, if I modify the BIOS, it locks. But, maybe the floppy bios will work. Do I just boot from the floppy? I've heard of "flashing bios", not sure how to. Thanks.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yes, you tell it to boot off a floppy. Before you try and flash BIOS though, try and load BIOS and tell it to "load optimized settings" and see if that works. If not, go ahead and flash the BIOS.

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
I don't have a floppy drive. I tried installing one from my old computer, no go. I just used WinFlash, success. =)

I also think I figured out the boot problem. My RAM was not in the 2T timer.