please help

newbie

After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I try to
access any program I get the following message displayed:
"There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
programs and then try again."
When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
"The system is dangerously low in resources." !
Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get the
message this program is not responding.
Only after rebooting computer works normally.
Please help.
TIA.

Help others help you.
What type of computer is it?
CPU size.
Amount of RAM installed.
Hardware installed.

Is Windows managing your Cache or have you set limits?
Can you right click MyComputer, click Properties > Performance tab to what the
resources used are?
How many apps do you have running? If many, close a few first, click once on the
desktop and press F5 to refresh to see if it helps. If it does help, don't open
as many applications.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Newbie" <newbie90@invalid.com> wrote in message
> After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I try to
> access any program I get the following message displayed:
> "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
> programs and then try again."
> When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
> "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
> Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
> Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get the
> message this program is not responding.
> Only after rebooting computer works normally.
> Please help.
> TIA.

Mike

Splendid

Run a virus scan. Download Adaware and remove spyware. Have you installed a
new program lately? Uninstall it. Windows free memory errors are usually
bull.

"Newbie" wrote:

> After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I try to
> access any program I get the following message displayed:
> "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
> programs and then try again."
> When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
> "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
> Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
> Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get the
> message this program is not responding.
> Only after rebooting computer works normally.
> Please help.
> TIA.

newbie

Hi Brian,
Particulars of my computer are as follows;

Pentium iv, 200 GHz, 845 Intel Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 98 SE

My Computer > Properties > Performance Status:
memory : 256 MB RAM
System Resources : 88% free
File System : 32 bit
Virtual memory : 32 bit
Disc compression : not installed
PC Card : No PC Card
Your System is configured for optimal performance.

Being a newbie, I don't know about cache and how to see how many
applications are running.

Will this info suffice?

Thanks & regards.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Help others help you.
> What type of computer is it?
> CPU size.
> Amount of RAM installed.
> Hardware installed.
>
> Is Windows managing your Cache or have you set limits?
> Can you right click MyComputer, click Properties > Performance tab to what
the
> resources used are?
> How many apps do you have running? If many, close a few first, click once
on the
> desktop and press F5 to refresh to see if it helps. If it does help, don't
open
> as many applications.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Newbie" <newbie90@invalid.com> wrote in message
> > After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I
try to
> > access any program I get the following message displayed:
> > "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
> > programs and then try again."
> > When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
> > "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
> > Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
> > Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get
the
> > message this program is not responding.
> > Only after rebooting computer works normally.
> > Please help.
> > TIA.

Did you do a massive delete, move or copy of files using Explorer during
that session? Doing so can cause that error, (which a reboot will cure,
but it isn't pleasant). I find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet,
can do the delete properly (so long as you don't let it involve the
Recycle Bin). Also...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
....has a solution that has pleased some.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.microsoft.com%2fsupport%2fwindows%2ftshoot%2fmemory98%2finfo%2fdosorwindows.asp
That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.

Search "not enough free memory"; produces just one...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239094&Product=w98
Various Error Messages Displayed and Slow Windows Performance When
Virtual Memory Is Enabled
(239094) - When you click the Performance tab of the System Properties
tool, you may receive the following message: Performance may be improved
by enabling virtual memory. If you examine the Virtual Memory option,
virtual memory is enabled. In addition, Windows...

Search "Insufficient memory to initialize windows"; produces just these
four...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184447&Product=w98
Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows
(184447) - If your computer has 1 gigabyte (GB) or more of random-access
memory (RAM) installed, Windows may not start. Also, when you try to
start your computer, you may receive the following error message:
Insufficient memory to initialize Windows. Quit one or...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;207442&Product=w98
Computer Stops Responding After You Install Hewlett Packard Picture
Place 1.0
(207442) - When you restart your computer after you install Hewlett
Packard Picture Place version 1.0, your computer may stop responding, or
you may receive the following error message: Insufficient memory to
initialize Windows. Quit one or more memory-resident...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
(304943) - If your computer has more than 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of memory
(RAM), the computer may reboot continuously when you try to start
Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Windows 98. Or, when you try to
install Windows Me or Windows 98 with more than 1.5 GB of...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912&Product=w98
"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
(253912) - If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows
that are listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768
megabytes) of physical memory (RAM), you may experience one or more of
the following symptoms:

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Newbie" <newbie90@invalid.com> wrote in message
| After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I
try to
| access any program I get the following message displayed:
| "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
| programs and then try again."
| When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
| "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
| Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
| Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get
the
| message this program is not responding.
| Only after rebooting computer works normally.
| Please help.
| TIA.

> Run a virus scan. Download Adaware and remove spyware. Have you installed
> new program lately? Uninstall it. Windows free memory errors are usually
> bull.

Agreed.
Windows, when encountering problems, usually displays whatever
error msg it thinks is closest to the problem.
This in no way means it has identified it.

...Rex..