please help

After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I try to
access any program I get the following message displayed:
"There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
programs and then try again."
When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
"The system is dangerously low in resources." !
Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get the
message this program is not responding.
Only after rebooting computer works normally.
Please help.
TIA.
5 answers Last reply
More about please help

    Help others help you.
    What type of computer is it?
    CPU size.
    Amount of RAM installed.
    Hardware installed.

    Is Windows managing your Cache or have you set limits?
    Can you right click MyComputer, click Properties > Performance tab to what the
    resources used are?
    How many apps do you have running? If many, close a few first, click once on the
    desktop and press F5 to refresh to see if it helps. If it does help, don't open
    as many applications.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Newbie" <newbie90@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I try to
    > access any program I get the following message displayed:
    > "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
    > programs and then try again."
    > When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
    > "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
    > Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
    > Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get the
    > message this program is not responding.
    > Only after rebooting computer works normally.
    > Please help.
    > TIA.

    Run a virus scan. Download Adaware and remove spyware. Have you installed a
    new program lately? Uninstall it. Windows free memory errors are usually
    bull.

    "Newbie" wrote:

    > After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I try to
    > access any program I get the following message displayed:
    > "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
    > programs and then try again."
    > When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
    > "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
    > Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
    > Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get the
    > message this program is not responding.
    > Only after rebooting computer works normally.
    > Please help.
    > TIA.

    Hi Brian,
    Particulars of my computer are as follows;

    Pentium iv, 200 GHz, 845 Intel Motherboard

    Microsoft Windows 98 SE

    My Computer > Properties > Performance Status:
    memory : 256 MB RAM
    System Resources : 88% free
    File System : 32 bit
    Virtual memory : 32 bit
    Disc compression : not installed
    PC Card : No PC Card
    Your System is configured for optimal performance.

    Being a newbie, I don't know about cache and how to see how many
    applications are running.

    Will this info suffice?

    Thanks & regards.

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Help others help you.
    > What type of computer is it?
    > CPU size.
    > Amount of RAM installed.
    > Hardware installed.
    >
    > Is Windows managing your Cache or have you set limits?
    > Can you right click MyComputer, click Properties > Performance tab to what
    the
    > resources used are?
    > How many apps do you have running? If many, close a few first, click once
    on the
    > desktop and press F5 to refresh to see if it helps. If it does help, don't
    open
    > as many applications.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >

    > "Newbie" <newbie90@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I
    try to
    > > access any program I get the following message displayed:
    > > "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
    > > programs and then try again."
    > > When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
    > > "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
    > > Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
    > > Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get
    the
    > > message this program is not responding.
    > > Only after rebooting computer works normally.
    > > Please help.
    > > TIA.

    Did you do a massive delete, move or copy of files using Explorer during
    that session? Doing so can cause that error, (which a reboot will cure,
    but it isn't pleasant). I find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet,
    can do the delete properly (so long as you don't let it involve the
    Recycle Bin). Also...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
    ....has a solution that has pleased some.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.microsoft.com%2fsupport%2fwindows%2ftshoot%2fmemory98%2finfo%2fdosorwindows.asp
    That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.

    Search "not enough free memory"; produces just one...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239094&Product=w98
    Various Error Messages Displayed and Slow Windows Performance When
    Virtual Memory Is Enabled
    (239094) - When you click the Performance tab of the System Properties
    tool, you may receive the following message: Performance may be improved
    by enabling virtual memory. If you examine the Virtual Memory option,
    virtual memory is enabled. In addition, Windows...

    Search "Insufficient memory to initialize windows"; produces just these
    four...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184447&Product=w98
    Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows
    (184447) - If your computer has 1 gigabyte (GB) or more of random-access
    memory (RAM) installed, Windows may not start. Also, when you try to
    start your computer, you may receive the following error message:
    Insufficient memory to initialize Windows. Quit one or...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;207442&Product=w98
    Computer Stops Responding After You Install Hewlett Packard Picture
    Place 1.0
    (207442) - When you restart your computer after you install Hewlett
    Packard Picture Place version 1.0, your computer may stop responding, or
    you may receive the following error message: Insufficient memory to
    initialize Windows. Quit one or more memory-resident...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
    Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
    (304943) - If your computer has more than 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of memory
    (RAM), the computer may reboot continuously when you try to start
    Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Windows 98. Or, when you try to
    install Windows Me or Windows 98 with more than 1.5 GB of...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912&Product=w98
    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
    (253912) - If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows
    that are listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768
    megabytes) of physical memory (RAM), you may experience one or more of
    the following symptoms:

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Newbie" <newbie90@invalid.com> wrote in message
    | After working for sometime suddenly my computer stops working. When I
    try to
    | access any program I get the following message displayed:
    | "There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
    | programs and then try again."
    | When I press ctrl - alt - del I get the message:
    | "The system is dangerously low in resources." !
    | Would you like to terminate the following application: explorer
    | Even when I press yes nothing happens. After continuous pressing I get
    the
    | message this program is not responding.
    | Only after rebooting computer works normally.
    | Please help.
    | TIA.

    > Run a virus scan. Download Adaware and remove spyware. Have you installed
    > new program lately? Uninstall it. Windows free memory errors are usually
    > bull.

    Agreed.
    Windows, when encountering problems, usually displays whatever
    error msg it thinks is closest to the problem.
    This in no way means it has identified it.

    ...Rex..

Computers Microsoft Windows