boot problem

In win '98se I get a real mode error on booting. Another prompt comes up
suggesting I should modify "stack" in config.sys . This happened after I
tried switching agp video cards and had to put the original back.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

HAGGIS

"lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In win '98se I get a real mode error on booting. Another prompt comes up
> suggesting I should modify "stack" in config.sys . This happened after I
> tried switching agp video cards and had to put the original back.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

you 'shouldn't' need a "stack" line in config.sys. put "REM" in front of
the stack line ...reboot to see if the problem persists...

you may want to start a new message if you have further problems

I re-booted with the same results. I ran scandisk and sfc. SFC indicated
there was a difference in user.exe and another dll. Should Ireplace these
files? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

"Haggis" wrote:

> "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In win '98se I get a real mode error on booting. Another prompt comes up
> > suggesting I should modify "stack" in config.sys . This happened after I
> > tried switching agp video cards and had to put the original back.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> you 'shouldn't' need a "stack" line in config.sys. put "REM" in front of
> the stack line ...reboot to see if the problem persists...
>
> you may want to start a new message if you have further problems

Be more specific about that "real mode error/stack" error message, or go
look it up yourself at...
http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB

I really wouldn't worry over USER.EXE, unless it is mentioned in an
error message. Here is mine...

USER.EXE
Desc: Windows User-interface core component
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
&: C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
Size: 549,760 bytes
Mod: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 01:02:44 PM
Ver: 4.10.2227

I have it in two locations, & it has been updated beyond what is in the
Windows Installation .cab's.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,