SLI on a Xfire mobo and vice versa

mattyink

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Ok i heard on another forum( still waiting forthe guy to fidn the article he clain he saw) that you could use 2 ATI cards on a SLI mobo and vice versa.

My friend also saw that with a simple driver using 2 Nvidea cards on a Xfire mobo worked really good.

Anyone has any info on that? I have a A8N32 SLI deluxe mobo and a X1900XTX, so in the futur is i could add another card i surely would.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Yeah yeah... 8O
Anyway, why would anybody want to do Crossfire in a SLI mobo? Or vice versa?
You want to do SLI? Buy a SLI mobo!
You want to do Crossfire? Buy a Crossfire mobo!
It's as simple as that! I see no reason why anybody will do that and complicate everything! It's pointless!
And that's why you should really really THINK before you buy a mobo ---- "Do I want SLI? or Crossfire? Will I use a Nvidia card or ATI card?"
Mixing up things is just nuts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Just look at my sig... Nvidia chipset and GPU, also same brand! :wink: Guaranteed compatibility! :D

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well I think the point is that if you want SLi you buy an SLi motherboard, if you want Crossfire you buy Crossfire motherboard, if you want both you get an SLi board.

tamalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Crossfire on SLI mobo is a 100% guaranteed.(which is what you need)
The vice-versa is up to luck when the hack ULi patch applied.

Most success with SLI are on 975X.

noone for AMD's Nforce4 SLI and ULtra chipset?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
As wusy said CF on SLI is cake, SLI on CF is more difficult. I have recently crashed a SLI mobo, and have 2 7900 GTXs and plan on getting a DFI XPRESS3200 mobo and running SLI on it. It really is just a software glitch that doesn't allow you to run SLI on CF. Finding the ULI patch can be cumbersome because Nvidia came down hard on the NGO people who created the patch, so they pulled the link from their website, but you can still find it. It took me about 20-30min of googling to find it.

I am reletively sure it can be done on a RD580, but I don't think its gaurenteed.

If only nvidia hadn't purchased uli...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yeah, as others have said, it can be done. You might have to get that hacked driver or modify it yourself though.
BTW, want to know some really crazy sh1t? It's possible to do crossfire between a PCI-E and AGP card =o

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You definately need a hacked driver to do SLI on CF but nothing extra is needed for CF on SLI.

SLI with AGP + PCI-e card you say? do share
http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/m1695-uli-6.htm
wicked, no?
whats the point? the chipset is one generation back from uli's last model.the agp bandwith is limiting,and it doesnt help anyone with an asrock dual sata 2,does it?
I would bet the same drivers would work on the ASrock since it's also a ULi board.
as for why...BECAUSE YOU CAN.

cleeve

Illustrious
From what I understand:

Crossfire will work on Crossfire Mobo
Crossfire will work on SLI mobo
Crossfire will work on Intel 975 mobo

SLI pretty much only works with SLI mobos, although there are some hacks out there to get it to work on the 975 (& Uli)...

mattyink

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Yeah yeah... 8O
Anyway, why would anybody want to do Crossfire in a SLI mobo? Or vice versa?
You want to do SLI? Buy a SLI mobo!
You want to do Crossfire? Buy a Crossfire mobo!
It's as simple as that! I see no reason why anybody will do that and complicate everything! It's pointless!
And that's why you should really really THINK before you buy a mobo ---- "Do I want SLI? or Crossfire? Will I use a Nvidia card or ATI card?"
Mixing up things is just nuts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Just look at my sig... Nvidia chipset and GPU, also same brand! :wink: Guaranteed compatibility! :D

Well I have a SLI mobo cuz i wanted dual 7900GTs but they were back order so i decided on the X1900XTX since i could use HDR+AA in Oblivion

Its cool to know i got options now.
Not so pointless if you ask me bud

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Well, you bought a SLI mobo cause you wanted to do SLI in first place
The circumstances led you to buy a X1900, but that's not what you were thinking in first place!
The thing is that you don't buy a fresh new SLI mobo to do Crossfire or vice versa... You could, but no reasonable person would do that :lol:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Reasonable person, your right. However, somepeople seek out a challenge heh.

Circumstances threw me a curveball so I had 2 7900GTXs and opted for the CF board as a challenge and its better OC ability.

If we were always reasonable then why would we oc? hmmm food for thought 8O

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Beating yourself in the head with a 2 by 4 and enjoying it is a challenge. But then again, buying a DFI board and getting it to run Windows for an hour without a bluesceen is essentially the same experience.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Well, not everybody has $1000+ to spend just for a challenge... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So very true.

As it happened I have had those cards for 5 months (originaly 7800GTX's Step Uped to 7900GTX) so at the time SLI was the clear winner, so really the challenge only cost $230 hehe. :wink: