More about hard drive format problem

    From: "Tony Dunmore" <Tony Dunmore@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I plugged a 160gb external hard drive into my W98 system. Using fdisk, I
    | created a primary DOS partition of 20gb and an extended partion with 2
    | logical drives, each 70gb. As expected, fdisk could not display the correct
    | sizes, but after running Format, each drive was available to read/write files
    | and Explorer showed the correct sizes. When I plugged the drive into my W2000
    | laptop, it recognised the 3 drives, but could only access the first one, i.e.
    | the primary DOS partition. If I try to access the other 2, it gives me "disk
    | not formatted" messages. Any ideas gratefully received.

    What Win2K Service Pack level. ?
    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    W2000 SP 4 - please don't ask me what the W98 level is, as it's 50 miles away
    at home!

    From: "Tony Dunmore" <Tony Dunmore@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | W2000 SP 4 - please don't ask me what the W98 level is, as it's 50 miles away
    | at home!

    There is no Service ack level, per se, for Win9x/ME.

    Please read the following...
    48bit LBA in Win2K -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    In addition, the Win2K platform must support 48bit LBA and it may need a a BIOS upgrade to
    support 48bit LBA.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Dave, I'll check it out, many thanks for your help.

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "Tony Dunmore" <Tony Dunmore@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | W2000 SP 4 - please don't ask me what the W98 level is, as it's 50 miles away
    > | at home!
    > |

    > There is no Service ack level, per se, for Win9x/ME.
    >
    > Please read the following...
    > 48bit LBA in Win2K -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
    >
    > In addition, the Win2K platform must support 48bit LBA and it may need a a BIOS upgrade to
    > support 48bit LBA.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm