not formatted" messages. Any ideas gratefully received.

From: "Tony Dunmore" <Tony Dunmore@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I plugged a 160gb external hard drive into my W98 system. Using fdisk, I
| created a primary DOS partition of 20gb and an extended partion with 2
| logical drives, each 70gb. As expected, fdisk could not display the correct
| sizes, but after running Format, each drive was available to read/write files
| and Explorer showed the correct sizes. When I plugged the drive into my W2000
| laptop, it recognised the 3 drives, but could only access the first one, i.e.
| the primary DOS partition. If I try to access the other 2, it gives me "disk
| not formatted" messages. Any ideas gratefully received.

What Win2K Service Pack level. ?
--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

W2000 SP 4 - please don't ask me what the W98 level is, as it's 50 miles away
at home!

From: "Tony Dunmore" <Tony Dunmore@discussions.microsoft.com>

| W2000 SP 4 - please don't ask me what the W98 level is, as it's 50 miles away
| at home!

There is no Service ack level, per se, for Win9x/ME.

Please read the following...
48bit LBA in Win2K -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

In addition, the Win2K platform must support 48bit LBA and it may need a a BIOS upgrade to
support 48bit LBA.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Dave, I'll check it out, many thanks for your help.