tray icon

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 3, 2005 1:08:36 PM

is there a way i can hide an icon in the system tray

More about : tray icon

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:08:37 PM

Items in the systray are apps that start on boot and AFAIK you can't hide it
without disabling the app from loading on boot.
If you want to stop programs from loading on boot there are several ways to
accomplish it:
You should only use msconfig for troubleshooting problems, although it could be
used for stubborn programs until you find a way to disable them otherwise.
Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and hit enter.
Click on the Startup tab and uncheck the program you wish to disable.
If the program adds a new second entry on reboot, then there is probably a way
in the programs options that will disable it.

Right click on the programs icon in the systray to see if there is an option to
disable it from loading on boot.

Open the program/s in question and check their options to see if they have one
to disable it from loading on boot.

Remove any entries from the Startup folder that you do not want to load on boot.

Uninstall the program you don't want loading if out of other options.

Look in Start > Run, type in: sysedit and hit enter.
Click on the win.ini window and see if there is anything after load= or run=,
these lines are usually blank after the =. Remove anything after the = on those
lines if you do not want it running.

Look in the Registry under these keys:
Start > Run, type in: regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys:
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnceEx
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServices
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServicesOnce

Remove or REM the entries from within these keys in the right pane. Always
backup the registry before making any changes so that you may import the keys
back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing keys in the registry is
very dangerous and can render your system useless. Be 100% sure of what you are
doing and what you remove can be safely done.

You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on the
menu bar while in the registry, click on "Export Registry File.". Choose a
location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it easy to find.
Place a check next to "Selected Branch" and give the file a memorable name,
select save, make your changes and close out. If you have no problems after say
2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to import/merge
it back into the registry.

Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it back
while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup is created
each new calendar day a machine is booted.
If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine has been
booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter. You will be
prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the day and do you wish
to create a new one, click yes.

More on Backing up/restoring the registry:
How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419

HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and
Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"rp" <rp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is there a way i can hide an icon in the system tray

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:08:37 PM

masking tape?

"rp" <rp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is there a way i can hide an icon in the system tray
June 3, 2005 1:08:37 PM

What icon are you trying to hide? (I like PA Bear's method;))
Have a look at Mike Lin's TraySaver and see if it does what you want:
http://www.mlin.net/TraySaver.shtml
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rp" <rp@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uwI1$a9ZFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> is there a way i can hide an icon in the system tray

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:08:38 PM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in

> Remove or REM the entries from within these keys in the right pane.

I've always *wished* there was a way to REM a registry entry, but wasn't
aware till you mentioned it here that it could be done. What's the
procedure? A semicolon or "REM" in front of the entry?

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous

REM and a space just like you would in sysedit.

--

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in
>
>> Remove or REM the entries from within these keys in the right pane.
>
> I've always *wished* there was a way to REM a registry entry, but wasn't
> aware till you mentioned it here that it could be done. What's the
> procedure? A semicolon or "REM" in front of the entry?
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:30:12 AM

That'll work on keys, value and data that need to be explicitly
defined. But not because "REM" is recognized as a REMark; it's
just that it breaks whatever key/value/data. For strings that can be
anything it won't have an effect.

A "REM notepad.exe" won't execute, but the value/data pair
[REM Notepad=notepad.exe] loaded from one of the run-keys will still
work.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:o JdOS$HaFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> REM and a space just like you would in sysedit.

> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message news:Xns966A1CB6D4BF5butter@daisymae.com...
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in
>>
>>> Remove or REM the entries from within these keys in the right pane.
>>
>> I've always *wished* there was a way to REM a registry entry, but wasn't
>> aware till you mentioned it here that it could be done. What's the
>> procedure? A semicolon or "REM" in front of the entry?

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:40:04 PM

Help me understand how to even get a [Notepad=notepad.exe] into a Run key. I'd
like to check into this a little but can't seem to get brackets without the
quotes.

--

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> That'll work on keys, value and data that need to be explicitly
> defined. But not because "REM" is recognized as a REMark; it's
> just that it breaks whatever key/value/data. For strings that can be
> anything it won't have an effect.
>
> A "REM notepad.exe" won't execute, but the value/data pair
> [REM Notepad=notepad.exe] loaded from one of the run-keys will still
> work.
>

> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> news:o JdOS$HaFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> REM and a space just like you would in sysedit.
>
>> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in

>>> I've always *wished* there was a way to REM a registry entry, but wasn't
>>> aware till you mentioned it here that it could be done. What's the
>>> procedure? A semicolon or "REM" in front of the entry?

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:56:13 PM

Don't include the brackets, Brian.

Create a value in the Run key named:
REM Notepad
with the data: notepad.exe or c:\windows\notepad.exe
and it will still open Notepad at startup.

Or, create a value named: Notepad with the data notepad.exe, then go back and add
the REM to the beginning of the value name amd it will still run at startup.

Where you *can* comment is in a registry file that you are going to import.
--

> Help me understand how to even get a [Notepad=notepad.exe] into a Run key. I'd
> like to check into this a little but can't seem to get brackets without the
> quotes.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> > That'll work on keys, value and data that need to be explicitly
> > defined. But not because "REM" is recognized as a REMark; it's
> > just that it breaks whatever key/value/data. For strings that can be
> > anything it won't have an effect.
> >
> > A "REM notepad.exe" won't execute, but the value/data pair
> > [REM Notepad=notepad.exe] loaded from one of the run-keys will still
> > work.
> >

> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > news:o JdOS$HaFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> REM and a space just like you would in sysedit.
> >
> >> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:00:32 PM

What Glen said. I was just using brackets as a highlighter thing.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:u9qQLBuaFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Help me understand how to even get a [Notepad=notepad.exe] into a Run key. I'd like to check into this a little but can't seem to
> get brackets without the quotes.

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message news:ehB$zTKaFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> That'll work on keys, value and data that need to be explicitly
>> defined. But not because "REM" is recognized as a REMark; it's
>> just that it breaks whatever key/value/data. For strings that can be
>> anything it won't have an effect.
>>
>> A "REM notepad.exe" won't execute, but the value/data pair
>> [REM Notepad=notepad.exe] loaded from one of the run-keys will still
>> work.
>>

>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:o JdOS$HaFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> REM and a space just like you would in sysedit.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:01:29 AM

Ok, had I understood what you were saying from the get go, I would have agreed.
I use the word REM only because it's commonly used to comment out entries in the
few places it can be used, otherwise yes, any word/1 letter will do.

Now that I realize you were speaking of the Name and not the Data Value's
String, I have gone back and re-read my response. I see that I need to modify
for clarification on adding rem and a space (visual purpose) to the beginning of
the string value, which was my intent, not renaming the Name with rem in front.

--

!