boot error

In win '98se I get
"While initiating devie IOS
Error Real mode system memory allocation failed".
Another prompt comes up suggesting
"An internal stack overflow has caused yhis session to be halted. Change the
stacks setting in your config.sys file & then try again".

This happened after I tried switching agp video cards and had to put the
original back.
I can boot to safe mode. I ran scandisk and sfc. SFC indicated
there was a difference in user.exe and another dll. Should I replace these
files? Do I need to re-load my video drivers?
Any suggestions? Thanks.

The first thing that I would try would be to run Scanreg /restore to go back
to a registry from before you made the change that failed.

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512

Do not use SFC to extract user.exe. Extract it manually if you still have
the problem after going back to the earlier registry. See this article:

System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192832

PattyL

"lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In win '98se I get
> "While initiating devie IOS
> Error Real mode system memory allocation failed".
> Another prompt comes up suggesting
> "An internal stack overflow has caused yhis session to be halted. Change
> the
> stacks setting in your config.sys file & then try again".
>
> This happened after I tried switching agp video cards and had to put the
> original back.
> I can boot to safe mode. I ran scandisk and sfc. SFC indicated
> there was a difference in user.exe and another dll. Should I replace these
> files? Do I need to re-load my video drivers?
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

Every once in awhile, you get lucky and someone gives you legitimate working
advice. Scanreg /restore worked. Thanks.

Do you have any idea of how the "real mode error" happens?

"PattyL" wrote:

> The first thing that I would try would be to run Scanreg /restore to go back
> to a registry from before you made the change that failed.
>
> How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512
>
> Do not use SFC to extract user.exe. Extract it manually if you still have
> the problem after going back to the earlier registry. See this article:
>
> System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192832
>
> PattyL
>
> "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In win '98se I get
> > "While initiating devie IOS
> > Error Real mode system memory allocation failed".
> > Another prompt comes up suggesting
> > "An internal stack overflow has caused yhis session to be halted. Change
> > the
> > stacks setting in your config.sys file & then try again".
> >
> > This happened after I tried switching agp video cards and had to put the
> > original back.
> > I can boot to safe mode. I ran scandisk and sfc. SFC indicated
> > there was a difference in user.exe and another dll. Should I replace these
> > files? Do I need to re-load my video drivers?
> > Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound right........
I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Every once in awhile, you get lucky and someone gives you legitimate working
> advice. Scanreg /restore worked. Thanks.
>
> Do you have any idea of how the "real mode error" happens?
>
> "PattyL" wrote:
>
> > The first thing that I would try would be to run Scanreg /restore to go back
> > to a registry from before you made the change that failed.
> >
> > How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
> >
> > Do not use SFC to extract user.exe. Extract it manually if you still have
> > the problem after going back to the earlier registry. See this article:
> >
> > System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions
> >
> > PattyL
> >
> > "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > In win '98se I get
> > > "While initiating devie IOS
> > > Error Real mode system memory allocation failed".
> > > Another prompt comes up suggesting
> > > "An internal stack overflow has caused yhis session to be halted. Change
> > > the
> > > stacks setting in your config.sys file & then try again".
> > >
> > > This happened after I tried switching agp video cards and had to put the
> > > original back.
> > > I can boot to safe mode. I ran scandisk and sfc. SFC indicated
> > > there was a difference in user.exe and another dll. Should I replace these
> > > files? Do I need to re-load my video drivers?
> > > Any suggestions? Thanks.

She's a "working" girl? That's even worse!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound
right........
| I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Every once in awhile, you get lucky and someone gives you legitimate
working
| > advice. Scanreg /restore worked. Thanks.
| >
| > Do you have any idea of how the "real mode error" happens?
| >
| > "PattyL" wrote:
| >
| > > The first thing that I would try would be to run Scanreg /restore
to go back
| > > to a registry from before you made the change that failed.
| > >
| > > How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
| > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512
| > >
| > > Do not use SFC to extract user.exe. Extract it manually if you
still have
| > > the problem after going back to the earlier registry. See this
article:

| > > System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions
| > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192832
| > >
| > > PattyL
| > >
| > > "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

Oh gawd...."open mouth, insert other foot" :-o

> She's a "working" girl? That's even worse!

> | Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound
> right........
> | I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)

> | "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > Every once in awhile, you get lucky and someone gives you legitimate
> working
> | > advice. Scanreg /restore worked. Thanks.
> | >
> | > Do you have any idea of how the "real mode error" happens?

> to go back

> still have
> article:

> message
> halted. Change

> put the
> replace these

Ah, ha, ha. Anyway, lucky for lendapilot, she was home last night.

--
| Oh gawd...."open mouth, insert other foot" :-o

| > She's a "working" girl? That's even worse!
|
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound
| > right........
| > | I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)
|
| > | "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > working

| > to go back

| > still have
| > article:

| > message
| > halted. Change

| > put the
| > replace these

| > |

Glen, you are a sweetheart! Thanks for the compliment.

Hugs!

> Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound
> right........
> I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Every once in awhile, you get lucky and someone gives you legitimate
>> working
>> advice. Scanreg /restore worked. Thanks.
>>
>> Do you have any idea of how the "real mode error" happens?
>>
>> "PattyL" wrote:
>>
>> > The first thing that I would try would be to run Scanreg /restore to go
>> > back
>> > to a registry from before you made the change that failed.
>> >
>> > How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512
>> >
>> > Do not use SFC to extract user.exe. Extract it manually if you still
>> > have
>> > the problem after going back to the earlier registry. See this
>> > article:
>> >
>> > System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192832
>> >
>> > PattyL
>> >
>> > "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Actually, haven't worked since 2000 - at least haven't been paid for
working. <g> Now the government pays me not to go to work. What a
deal!!!!

PattyL

> She's a "working" girl? That's even worse!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound
> right........
> | I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> |

> | "lendapilot" <lendapilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > Every once in awhile, you get lucky and someone gives you legitimate
> working
> | > advice. Scanreg /restore worked. Thanks.
> | >
> | > Do you have any idea of how the "real mode error" happens?

> to go back

> still have
> article:

> message
> halted. Change

> put the
> replace these

Uhuh. Uhhhh, uhuh. That's good! (So, Glee was wrong about that, then.
Phew!)

--
"PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
| Actually, haven't worked since 2000 - at least haven't been paid for
| working. <g> Now the government pays me not to go to work. What a
| deal!!!!
|
| PattyL

| > She's a "working" girl? That's even worse!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | Hey, you *always* get lucky with PattyL! Wait, that doesn't sound
| > right........
| > | I mean, PattyL always gives legit working advice. ;-)
| > | --
| > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |