Upgradeware for slot1 => tualatin p3

hanseman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Searched the forum for "upgradeware" with no hit, what do you say about that "fact" (?) that as far I can see the upgradeware board does NOT includa a voltage-regulator so it sure gives the right, lower voltage (ca 1.5 volts) to the CPU instead of that 2.0 volts that many mobos ALWAYS gives.
Is one dollar for that regulator too much?
What is the cost for a burned processor and mobo?

regards / Hans Sweden (with rather bad english :(

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
My Abit VA6 supported changing voltages, but I managed to steer pretty well clear of Slot 1.

Try searching for 'Slocket' - it's what they're more commonly known as.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
On the upgradeware website there is a list of tested motherboards it's been used on. I actually have one of those in an old machine and it works fine, but my board supports different voltages. I'd be willing to bet most boards do support variable voltages, but probably a few do not, especially premade boxes like hp, dell, etc. Although even if the board does support variable voltage, it may not support the entire voltage range for use with all available processors, so you'll need to check out the info for your motherboard.

hanseman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Noone of my mobos care about the binar code from the cpu - telling voltage. So it cant be so rare. I got that module (second hand) and really expected an voltage regulator on it, its so cheap and simple. Its more complicated to add such things afterward..
Thx for the "word" "slocket" :!:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Check the first post in the Motherboard's forum, the Upgradeware adapter is superior to the Powerleap IP3/T, so long as your board supports it.

There are NO boards that support "only" 2.0v core. There are boards that support "only" voltages from 1.80v upwards, and there are boards that support voltage from 1.30v upwards.

Any board that supports the Coppermine core Slot-1 processors supports the Upgradeware adapter. The reason is, VRM 8.4 is required for Coppermine support, and VRM 8.4 goes all the way down to 1.30v, including the 1.45v recommended for most Tualatins.

So like I said, read the first post in the general motherboards forum.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wusy, that "other adapter" IS the Upgradeware, it works by using VRM 8.4 onboard regulation, and allows jumper selection for voltage and bus speed detection. It's great for overclocking a Tualatin Celeron to 133 bus on a board that doesn't support overclocking!

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Just as an addition, if the MB is a OEM BX board (Abit, Asus, etc, etc) then you could probably OC the board to 133 without too much trouble. If you aren't familiar with OC'ing, then check into it first and there are no guarantees it will work, so your mileage may vary.

I have 2 Abit BX boards running upgradeware adapters with Celeron 1.1 oc'd to 1.45. Have been running them fine for many many years. Still not bad for an 8 year old MB. :)

hanseman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
That is a surprise for me -crashman - I have tried my old slot1 Tyan motherboards (for dual cpu, its model Tiger100) in that way I put in some different slot1 cpu:s and messured the voltage out from the regulation circuit on the motherboard, and it always gived 2.0 volt, also when I put in an cpu 650e that needed maximum 1.7 volt (If I rem. right)
And also I got the same result on a Gigabyte MB.
It would anyhow step down to 1.8 volt due to what you write in the other tread.

My idea is (as you understand) to have two tualatins in that Tyan Tiger100 and I think that would be a great computer?
Now I have to try to rebuild the VRM or to add a VRM to the slocket-board..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, none of the boards were "fixed voltage". You tested your boards with 2.0v processors and they were 2.0v, that's good! You tested them with 1.70v processors and they couldn't do 1.70v, that happens! VRM 8.2 supported processors ranging from something like 1.80v to 3.50v if I recall correctly, VRM 8.4 supported processors ranging from something like 1.30v to 2.20v. I don't remember the maximum voltages for either standard as they don't matter, VRM 8.4 supports all Slot-1 processors and VRM 8.2 only supports the early ones.

I have a lot more experience in this matter than you...I say that without asking your experience because my experience with Slot-1 processors is so vast that it exceeds nearly everyone here. I can't be superior at everything, so Slot-1 experience seems something to cling to :p

hanseman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I think you should start to read and understand what I wrote, I tested and measured with p3/650E that needs 1.65 - 1.7 volts.
The mobo gave 2.0 volts. 2 different mobos did actully.
It doesnt matter how many cpu:s you burned and fried, that experience isnt helping you to read an simple text.
If you tell me that i have done things I have not done, it will not help much.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I haven't burned or fried any Slot-1 CPU's. If your Tiger boards were designed improperly, that would be Tyan's fault. But given their repuation, I find it more likely that you were reading voltage from the wrong place.

More proof: Tualatins are based on the 13 micron process and would die quickly at 2.0v, if they even functioned. My testing showed they don't even function at high voltages because of thermal and voltage protection. And I ran a Tualatin Celeron 1.1 at 1466MHz/1.55v for three years.

Showing that the voltage manipulation pins on the Upgradeware Socket-T were effective, the CPU would run stably at the 1.30v setting only by underclocking it slightly, and anthing above 1.70v would make it tempermental (resetting and shutting down constantly). The heat output was also proportional to voltage. VRM 8.4 works!

hanseman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Two years after!

I know where to measure the feed to a cpu and a mobo isnt using 2.0 volts for anything else.
Thats grounds in electronics, voltage is +5 for the most circuits.

Its bad to tell ppl wrong info, MANY boards was made for constant 2.0 V for the cpu. Ex. the board in HP Vectra VE.

hanseman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
2.0 volts out from powerful regulators managing up to 20 ampere, tell me
what you find in a computer needing that. If not a CPU.
"measuring at the wrong place" ´
Then I measured something that doesnt even exist, very brainy.