Your question

Adding a print server killed my internet

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Switch
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 20, 2003 8:26:47 AM

My network consists of a DSL modem connected to a SMC wireless router (802.11b) and a network cable running upstairs, which connects to a switch. There is is 2 computers hooked up to the switch.

The problem is that I replaced my switch with a router that was sitting around (D-link DI-704p, older one) That particular router had a print server function, and has a built in 4 port switch. I replaced my switch with it, setted up 3 computers so that it could use the printer connected to the router.
Computer A and B is running Windows ME and uses wired connection. The notebook (dell C400) uses wireless networking. I installed the printer server software and did what the instructions said. Computer A, could get on the internet, but can't print. Computer B could print, but can't get on the internet. Laptop couldn't connect to the internet, but because its network is wireless, it doesn't go through the D-link router. I didn't try the printer because I was already fed up. I pinged the router, and it responded without loss, all the compouters are visible on the network. So the network actually works, but why didn't the internet work? I restarted both of the computers several times. I put my old switch back and everything was fine again. Any ideas? There are a total of 5 computers on the network, but I haven't done anything to the other two. If you need model numbers, or specifications for the computers to diagnose the problem, please ask. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Howard

More about : adding print server killed internet

June 20, 2003 11:32:10 AM

Try changeing the mode of the second router . Change it from router to gateway.

I aint signing nothing!!!
June 20, 2003 3:06:50 PM

make sure the dhcp is disabled on the router you dont have the dsl hooked up to. then release and refresh the ips on your computers.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>