drive's contents changed restarting...

Defrag Problem is...

drive's contents changed restarting...

I have used MS MEdefrag is much better than win98se one. I'M running
win 98 SE

I have deleted the contents of Windows/applog which worked a few months
ago when this happened but not a fix this time. I scan disk and defrag
once a month and in June I had 101 megs of temp files usually its about
70 megs so I knew I was going to have trouble as i suspect I picked up
a bug, quark, virus, worm, or ad ware on the internet.

I also used Power Defrag works well with ME Defrag. It reboots with
nothing else loaded then reboots normally after the defrag.

Still get drive's contents changed restarting --

Oh yes I restarted in Safe Mode a few times and still get drive's
contents changed restarting even in save mode

I have done msconfig and unchecked everything too

An thing I missed ?

I suspect a virus or spy ware - I ran ad ware and regit cleaner and
still not fix to the message...

drive's contents changed restarting... in defrag

Please suggest something - thanks

Vacation pictures here
http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/

inventor84@att.net

700 shuttles - docked together like a train
__...---'-----`---...__
_===========================
______________,/' `---..._______...---'
(____________LL). . ,--'
/ /.---' `. /
'--------_ - - - - _/
`~~~~~~~~'

http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page

Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml

Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

Try defrag in a CLEAN BOOT environment.

Start/Run and then type MSCONFIG. In MSCONFIG place a checkmark in
SELECTIVE STARTUP and then remove the checkmarks in
Config.sys file
Autoexec.bat file
Load startup group items

Reboot then do your maintenance. Once finished go back into MSCONFIG
and reinsert the checkmark in NORMAL STARTUP.

Hope this works

Dan
"inventor" <inventor84@att.net> wrote in message
> Defrag Problem is...
>
> drive's contents changed restarting...
>
> I have used MS MEdefrag is much better than win98se one. I'M running
> win 98 SE
>
> I have deleted the contents of Windows/applog which worked a few
months
> ago when this happened but not a fix this time. I scan disk and
defrag
> once a month and in June I had 101 megs of temp files usually its
about
> 70 megs so I knew I was going to have trouble as i suspect I picked
up
> a bug, quark, virus, worm, or ad ware on the internet.
>

> I also used Power Defrag works well with ME Defrag. It reboots with
> nothing else loaded then reboots normally after the defrag.
>
> Still get drive's contents changed restarting --
>
> Oh yes I restarted in Safe Mode a few times and still get drive's
> contents changed restarting even in save mode
>
> I have done msconfig and unchecked everything too
>
> An thing I missed ?
>
> I suspect a virus or spy ware - I ran ad ware and regit cleaner and
> still not fix to the message...
>

> drive's contents changed restarting... in defrag
>
> Please suggest something - thanks
>
> Vacation pictures here
> http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
>
> inventor84@att.net
>
> 700 shuttles - docked together like a train
> __...---'-----`---...__
> _===========================
> ______________,/' `---..._______...---'
> (____________LL). . ,--'
> / /.---' `. /
> '--------_ - - - - _/
> `~~~~~~~~'
>

> http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
> http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page
>
> Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
> http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml
>
> Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
> Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

remove malware before defrag, and keep your antivirus and antispyware
updated

DAILY

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"inventor" <inventor84@att.net> wrote in message
> Defrag Problem is...
>
> drive's contents changed restarting...
>
> I have used MS MEdefrag is much better than win98se one. I'M running
> win 98 SE
>
> I have deleted the contents of Windows/applog which worked a few months
> ago when this happened but not a fix this time. I scan disk and defrag
> once a month and in June I had 101 megs of temp files usually its about
> 70 megs so I knew I was going to have trouble as i suspect I picked up
> a bug, quark, virus, worm, or ad ware on the internet.
>

> I also used Power Defrag works well with ME Defrag. It reboots with
> nothing else loaded then reboots normally after the defrag.
>
> Still get drive's contents changed restarting --
>
> Oh yes I restarted in Safe Mode a few times and still get drive's
> contents changed restarting even in save mode
>
> I have done msconfig and unchecked everything too
>
> An thing I missed ?
>
> I suspect a virus or spy ware - I ran ad ware and regit cleaner and
> still not fix to the message...
>

> drive's contents changed restarting... in defrag
>
> Please suggest something - thanks
>
> Vacation pictures here
> http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
>
> inventor84@att.net
>
> 700 shuttles - docked together like a train
> __...---'-----`---...__
> _===========================
> ______________,/' `---..._______...---'
> (____________LL). . ,--'
> / /.---' `. /
> '--------_ - - - - _/
> `~~~~~~~~'
>

> http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
> http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page
>
> Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
> http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml
>
> Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
> Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

Almost Bob makes a good point....you could have malware/spyware causing problems.

Also, have you tried Scan/Defrag freeware?
http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/
or
http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
(frequent poster in this group, Bill Blanton:))
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"inventor" <inventor84@att.net> wrote in message
> Defrag Problem is...
>
> drive's contents changed restarting...
>
> I have used MS MEdefrag is much better than win98se one. I'M running
> win 98 SE
>
> I have deleted the contents of Windows/applog which worked a few months
> ago when this happened but not a fix this time. I scan disk and defrag
> once a month and in June I had 101 megs of temp files usually its about
> 70 megs so I knew I was going to have trouble as i suspect I picked up
> a bug, quark, virus, worm, or ad ware on the internet.
>

> I also used Power Defrag works well with ME Defrag. It reboots with
> nothing else loaded then reboots normally after the defrag.
>
> Still get drive's contents changed restarting --
>
> Oh yes I restarted in Safe Mode a few times and still get drive's
> contents changed restarting even in save mode
>
> I have done msconfig and unchecked everything too
>
> An thing I missed ?
>
> I suspect a virus or spy ware - I ran ad ware and regit cleaner and
> still not fix to the message...
>

> drive's contents changed restarting... in defrag
>
> Please suggest something - thanks
>
> Vacation pictures here
> http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
>
> inventor84@att.net
>
> 700 shuttles - docked together like a train
> __...---'-----`---...__
> _===========================
> ______________,/' `---..._______...---'
> (____________LL). . ,--'
> / /.---' `. /
> '--------_ - - - - _/
> `~~~~~~~~'
>

> http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
> http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page
>
> Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
> http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml
>
> Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
> Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

Inventor here
I got defrag to finish in little over a hour as it did the drives
contents have changed restarting.... about 25 - 40 times I lost count
but did not get the error message that stops defrag.

How I did this was I downloaded CWShredder which is in another program
the company bought CW and I did their scan first then shredder I got 20
cookies with ads and then deleted them and did it again and got 20 more
the second 20 was not in the log so they are not below.

Do anyone know anything about the cookies below?

Inventor84 @ att,net
http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/

Version 2.15
Released: May 2005

CWShredder™ Version 2.15 is the latest defense against the new Cool
Web Search variants, and it is included in SpySubtract PRO. Download a
free trial and receive the best spyware protection available.

What is CWShredder

Internet Cookies

Found 'bannerspace.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'tribalfusion.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'hitbox.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'doubleclick.net' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'advertising.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'atdmt.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'casalemedia.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'valueclick.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'centrport.net' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Found 'mediaplex.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'

Windows Registry

> | Vacation pictures here
> | http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
> |
> | inventor84@att.net
> |
> | 700 shuttles - docked together like a train
> | __...---'-----`---...__
> | _===========================
> | ______________,/' `---..._______...---'
> | (____________LL). . ,--'
> | / /.---' `. /
> | '--------_ - - - - _/
> | `~~~~~~~~'
> |

> | http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
> | http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page
> |
> | Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
> | http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml
> |
> | Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
> | Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
"Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log.)
REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
on your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"inventor" <inventor84@att.net> wrote in message
| Defrag Problem is...
|
| drive's contents changed restarting...
|
| I have used MS MEdefrag is much better than win98se one. I'M running
| win 98 SE
|
| I have deleted the contents of Windows/applog which worked a few
months
| ago when this happened but not a fix this time. I scan disk and defrag
| once a month and in June I had 101 megs of temp files usually its
about
| 70 megs so I knew I was going to have trouble as i suspect I picked up
| a bug, quark, virus, worm, or ad ware on the internet.
|

| I also used Power Defrag works well with ME Defrag. It reboots with
| nothing else loaded then reboots normally after the defrag.
|
| Still get drive's contents changed restarting --
|
| Oh yes I restarted in Safe Mode a few times and still get drive's
| contents changed restarting even in save mode
|
| I have done msconfig and unchecked everything too
|
| An thing I missed ?
|
| I suspect a virus or spy ware - I ran ad ware and regit cleaner and
| still not fix to the message...
|

| drive's contents changed restarting... in defrag
|
| Please suggest something - thanks
|
| Vacation pictures here
| http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
|
| inventor84@att.net
|
| 700 shuttles - docked together like a train
| __...---'-----`---...__
| _===========================
| ______________,/' `---..._______...---'
| (____________LL). . ,--'
| / /.---' `. /
| '--------_ - - - - _/
| `~~~~~~~~'
|

| http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
| http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page
|
| Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
| http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml
|
| Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
| Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

It's troubling that it happens in Safe Mode, because most items that
could be causing it in Normal Mode won't be running, or are YOU
multitasking them? Better check for malware as others have said. Also,
don't blame Glee if any of the following are dated...

........Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"inventor" <inventor84@att.net> wrote in message
| Defrag Problem is...
|
| drive's contents changed restarting...
|
| I have used MS MEdefrag is much better than win98se one. I'M running
| win 98 SE
|
| I have deleted the contents of Windows/applog which worked a few
months
| ago when this happened but not a fix this time. I scan disk and defrag
| once a month and in June I had 101 megs of temp files usually its
about
| 70 megs so I knew I was going to have trouble as i suspect I picked up
| a bug, quark, virus, worm, or ad ware on the internet.
|

| I also used Power Defrag works well with ME Defrag. It reboots with
| nothing else loaded then reboots normally after the defrag.
|
| Still get drive's contents changed restarting --
|
| Oh yes I restarted in Safe Mode a few times and still get drive's
| contents changed restarting even in save mode
|
| I have done msconfig and unchecked everything too
|
| An thing I missed ?
|
| I suspect a virus or spy ware - I ran ad ware and regit cleaner and
| still not fix to the message...
|

| drive's contents changed restarting... in defrag
|
| Please suggest something - thanks
|
| Vacation pictures here
| http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
|
| inventor84@att.net
|
| 700 shuttles - docked together like a train
| __...---'-----`---...__
| _===========================
| ______________,/' `---..._______...---'
| (____________LL). . ,--'
| / /.---' `. /
| '--------_ - - - - _/
| `~~~~~~~~'
|

| http://home.att.net/~inventor84/ my 2 meg home page
| http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com -my 200 meg home page
|
| Now I have Global Hosting for my web, 200 megs now, wow !
| http://www.globalhosting.com/virtual/compare.shtml
|
| Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
| Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

Spy warning ---- Intermute the company that has CWShredder on its web
page connects to its web page every time I log on as I have Zone Alarm
and it warns me SpySubtract is dialing its web I click ok on Zone Alarm
but plan on exposing this companys practice on dialing home every time
you log on the internet. Least they do not put spy ware on my computer
they just stalke me - ha

http://www.intermute.com/company/index.html
InterMute, Inc., based in Braintree, Massachusetts, develops leading
Internet security and content filtering solutions for enterprises and
consumers. Founded in 1999, the company's mission is to bring
security, productivity and privacy to the Internet

http://www.intermute.com/spysu­btract/cwshredder_download.htm­l

invento...@att.net