Remove operating system

Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the C:
drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all the
programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load win98
the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please
4 answers Last reply
More about remove operating system

    Boot from Win98 floppy disk
    You cannot format the drive you booted from

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the
    C:
    > drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all
    the
    > programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load
    win98
    > the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

    I put the disk in but it goes to the dos prompt and stays on a:. What do I do
    at the a: prompt

    "AlmostBob" wrote:

    > Boot from Win98 floppy disk
    > You cannot format the drive you booted from
    >

    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    >
    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the
    > C:
    > > drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all
    > the
    > > programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load
    > win98
    > > the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

    If the C drive is formatted fat32 then type Format C: /s {enter}at the a:>
    rpompt

    If the drive is formatted NTFS then you have to FDISK the drive, delete all
    partitions and recreated fat32 partitions for Win 98, then format the drive
    as above

    --

    Phil wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the C:
    > drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all the
    > programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load win98
    > the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

    Hi!
    Unlike humanity computers don't commit suicide so any system cannot
    remove itself.
    You have to boot the computer from another OS which includes the
    destructive applications.
    Usually a DOS diskette will do, it should include the FDISK.EXE and
    FORMAT.COM apps, which you call from the A:> prompt.

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

Microsoft Windows