Remove operating system

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the C:
drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all the
programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load win98
the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

Boot from Win98 floppy disk
You cannot format the drive you booted from

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the
C:
> drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all
the
> programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load
win98
> the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I put the disk in but it goes to the dos prompt and stays on a:. What do I do
at the a: prompt

"AlmostBob" wrote:

> Boot from Win98 floppy disk
> You cannot format the drive you booted from
>

> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the
> C:
> > drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all
> the
> > programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load
> win98
> > the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

If the C drive is formatted fat32 then type Format C: /s {enter}at the a:>
rpompt

If the drive is formatted NTFS then you have to FDISK the drive, delete all
partitions and recreated fat32 partitions for Win 98, then format the drive
as above

--

Phil wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to delet an operating system. How do I format the C:
> drive. It keeps telling me the volume in drive c: is in use. I have all the
> programes closed but it will not let me remove win2000. I need to load win98
> the computer is to small to hold win2000 and it runs to slow. Help Please

Hi!
Unlike humanity computers don't commit suicide so any system cannot
remove itself.
You have to boot the computer from another OS which includes the
destructive applications.
Usually a DOS diskette will do, it should include the FDISK.EXE and
FORMAT.COM apps, which you call from the A:> prompt.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.