Active Scripting

How do you enable 'active scripting' in Win 98 / IE 6? My computer is
failing at Windows Update and IE download. Norton Utilities finds many
ActiveX errors and the HD seems to fragment very quickly; Windows also
freezes quite often.

I have looked under IE Tools > Internet Options > Advanced but did not find
any checkbox for 'ActiveX' or 'Enable active scripting.' Any help?

Thanks,
jg

IE Tools > Internet Options > Security> Custom Level is where those settings are
changed. The best thing to do is to add Windows Update to the "Trusted Zone" on the
Security tab:
IE Tools > Internet Options > Security, select Trusted Zone> click the Sites button.
Remove the check from the box for "Require server verification (https:) for all
sites in this zone"
Then, add these sites to the Trusted Zone:
http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://office.microsoft.com
Click OK, then OK.

Ignore the "Invalid ActiveX/COM" errors Norton Utilities finds....they are bogus and
have been mistakenly "found" by NU for years. In fact, do yourself a favour and get
rid of Norton Utilities/Systemworks altogether.

If you have Norton Crashguard installed, disable and then uninstall it....it causes
crashes rather than "fixing" them, and Norton/Symantec discontinued it for that
reason.

Regarding frequent fragmentation and crashes, start here:
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/loads.htm