New Compy for ~$700...so many dilemmas!!!!

Which system to get?

• AMD system!

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Intel system!

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Custom system! (see post)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Get a PDA/PSP!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Hello, I'm looking for a new compy, and I want a good upgrade path and a good price...I need a monitor too, so I need to take that into consideration...right now, I'm stuck between two systems....

From Newegg ;)

AMD:
Cooler Master Centurion 5 + PS $75 or Antec Sonata II PS $95
AsRock Dual Sata II PCI-E/AGP $75
AMD Opteron 144 - $170 or Athlon 3200+ $150
2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400 PC3200 - $78
ATI X800GTO 128MB or Nvidia 6600GT or ATI X1600pro or Nvidia 7600GS ($89,100,100,100 prices respectively)
WD 160GB HD $65 + DVD-ROM $25

Total: $531-$618

Intel:
Same as above except:
EPox 945P ATX-$90 or Asus P5RD2-VM Xpress 200 - $72
Intel Pentium D 805 - $130
2 x 512MB Corsair Valueselect DDR2-667 $78

Total: $480-$600

Firstly, this is my second build :) and the first one I list is probably the one I'm getting....

Ok, so AMD or Intel? AMD has better single core, but the Intel's dual core really seems appealing...the price is great! and upgrade path is good...but what should I get now? (or in a month?)

About memory, I saw that the Corsair XMS, Kingston HyperX, Crucial Ballistix, and Patriot Signature Series are all about the same price (Crucial is $10 more expensive though) which one is the best?? and does it really matter?

Ok...video...um, not really sure here...I game sometimes and I want to play low/med settings, and I want it to be relatively quiet...suggestions?
Oh, and suggestions for a monitor?

That's about it...please state anything that I may have missed :lol:

Of course, I might just get a PDA.... :lol:

edit: changed Graphics Card

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
well first i wouldnt get intel unless its a core duo processor, all their other processors are inefficient and too hot. if your paying 65 for a 160 GB HDD you may as well pay 85 and get a 300 GB. remember AMDs new platform is coming soon so that should drop the price on 939 processors. what else are you using the computer for other than occasional gaming?

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
hmm, yeah I was thinking that when I saw an 80GB WD HD for $50...but I'm on a budget and will probably not use even close to the 300GB...even if I download a lot of stuff...

Core Duo is expensive though...what socket is it on anyway??? I also use the computer for video encoding...and..well games, I guess I do game a decent amount :lol:

Monitor recommendations?
Second opinions?

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
That same Opty, I have. I'm over 3 Ghz with it on air. I hope, at that price, it's a retail box with HS/fan, cause it's a bit high. Check into the Hitachi drives, 250 GB and higher. They have high density platters and are quite fast and reliable. Remember: Don't skimp on the PS.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
for the monitor id grab a dell 1907 19" LCD for 254 at their website right now. i think theres coupons out that give you $35 off as well, u hafta find em on the net. unless your on a budget then just get a CRT for $50

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Edited system:

Antec Sonata II + 450W PSU $95
AsRock Dual Sata II PCI-E/AGP $75
AMD Opteron 144 - $130 (Monarch Computer) (OEM)
Silverstone cooler - $18 or Artic Cooling cooler
2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400 PC3200 - $78
Nvidia 7600GS $100
WD 160GB HD $65
DVD-RW $35

Confused on CPU cooler....which ones better?

Oh, and should I use Zipzoomfly for the free shipping?

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Being someone trying to build a 'discount' gaming system (although better than most of the top of the line retail systems people are sinking serious cash for,)...here is what is jogging my memory from the last time I built a system for myself (keyword here:myself)

1. You can ALWAYS wait till the 'big price drop' - Someone mentioned a 'sweet spot' in another post of mine, unrelated...but the terminology is relative here also. There IS a sweet spot. But all in all, buying bleeding edge tech is not advisable - nor really is expected price drops or waiting for the new technology (as it's pricing and usually, a retail beta)

2. CRT is still better for gaming than LCD for $$$ IF you can get one cheap locally. I picked up a 19" sony (dell) crt that is beautiful and has the best color and look than I could ever hope for over a lcd...and I paid 100 bucks.
LCD is very strong now though - great screens, great speeds, great prices

3. You can ALWAYS say - 'for $20 more I can get this, and for ANOTHER $15 more, I can get THIS!'. It's a vicious cycle! Trust me, I started researching my build for a first time AMD home built, and found myself upwards of $850 bucks. I originally wanted to stick around $550 without monitor. I'm backtracking a bit now.

BTW my vote is for AMD on this build.. Check out *THIS* thread...

S

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
thanks man, those are the things I put in consideration...I know there will always be great technology around the corner, and waiting for it is stupid because then you'll never get a PC!! well, I just figured I needed an upgrade because my computer is 3 years old:

The basic specs of it:
Athlon XP 1800+
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
XFX GF4 MX-4000

well, the important ones ;)

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
eh, I've decided to wait....for the new processors and the price drop...I'm not really in that big of a rush to get a new compy anyway...I guess I'll just comply to my signature ;)

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Hey if you are in no hurry, then wait. The longer you wait, the more you save. In fact, do you really need a computer? Also - if you skip meals, you'll save money and probably feel a bit better. Also - if you have any bad habits like smoking, eating snacks, drinking coffee/soda - then don't do those either, and you'll save alot of money.

My point here is, jokingly of course, that the reason we are put on this earth is to (imho)
1. figure things out and move ahead..
2. try to enjoy our time here..

So go buy that computer! lol...

In all seriousness. If you are happy with your current system, and are ok with the limitations that are placed on you, then wait till you can see a price drop and get what you want. BUT by then, when you are thinking of buying what you speced out, you will want to buy JUST ONE MORE level higher - and you'll be surprised, you might not have the money you thought you would by then.

I'm not helping much am I?

Hey - sorry - just playing devils advocate here. I'm in the same fix as you so, maybe someone will come in here and say: 'June 20th - there will be a significant price drop on all silicon based technologies'...er something like that..

Watch - I'll buy my stuff this week, and all kinda rebates - freebees etc will come out..

THis weeks freebees and rebates SUCK. A cheap pencil holder/clock - geesh I think I saw those at a flee market for .15! I liked the free Age of Empires game better, personally..

Good luck with your decision man!

S

pixel

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Maybe a different brand ram if you can spend another $10-15

Crucial Ballistix $88 no rebates
or
Corsair XMS - $88 after rebate

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
If I were you, I'd wait 3-4 weeks for the AM2 launch. The processors will likely be priced relatively close to the current 939 chips, and if you go for an AM2, you'll be set for future upgrades. Also, I wouldn't count on 939s having a substantial price drop when AM2 arrives... I've heard speculation that the 939s could even increase in price because AMD will be wanting folks to turn to their new platform... but like I said, that's only speculation.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The Intel system will be superior for multitasking and will be a lot more future proof than the AMD system later. By the looks of your signature, you don't upgrade often. I'd go Intel, but only if you overclock. Intel's low-end dual cores are pieces of crap, and they suck major balls unless you overclock to at least 3.4. The 805 is good for about 4.0ghz if you use some nice air cooling.
However, with the coming of AM2, 939 prices should drop, allowing you to pick up a sanely priced AMD dual core, as all of AMD's offerings are currently WAY overpriced. Just keep in mind Intel's 775 has futurue. 939 is dead. Food for thought.
By the way...get the 7600gt. Currently has the best bang for the buck.