Install old HD in an new computer

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 5, 2005 7:33:22 PM

I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
computer to a new one?

When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units with
a USB line and that would be that.

Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.

The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had to
buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't need
to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to. So, I
don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.

Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to remove
my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.

If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD, which
contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new unit with
a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?

In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check, Scadisk
and Defrag. All OK.

The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.

The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not have
a floppy drive.

Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
*not* an instructional video.

rooster

boundary bay, b.c.

More about : install computer

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:23:13 PM

Install the hard drive from the old computer as a slave in the new computer, then
see here for your email:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/simple.htm

More info here:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

You can copy your documents files (.txt, .doc, .rtf, .htm) directly from their
locations on the old hard drive, to the new hard drive. Ditto for image files
(.bmp, .jpg, .gif), videos and so forth.

Or:

Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard:
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&cat...

See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the definitive
instruction piece:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable connection. To
connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with USB), you can
use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial cable (all
$10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a 25-pin or
9-pin serial port.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
news:o q8zQ6haFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
> simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
> computer to a new one?
>

> When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units with
> a USB line and that would be that.
>
> Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
> Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.
>
> The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had to
> buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't need
> to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to. So, I
> don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.
>
> Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to remove
> my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.
>
> If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD, which
> contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new unit with
> a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?
>
> In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check, Scadisk
> and Defrag. All OK.
>
> The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
> The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.
>
> The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not have
> a floppy drive.
>
> Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
> *not* an instructional video.
>
> rooster
>
> boundary bay, b.c.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:44:52 AM

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:o 3m1LWiaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files and
> Settings Transfer Wizard:
> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&cat...
>
> See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the definitive
> instruction piece:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable connection. To
> connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with USB),

...though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB drive.

Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might as
well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
"Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.

I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at least.
You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll re-associate
themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down alt-R).

I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if you're going
to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.

> you can
> use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial cable (all
> $10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a 25-pin or
> 9-pin serial port.
June 6, 2005 2:44:53 AM

A word of caution.
The last E-Machine I worked on had no brackets to hold a second hard drive
and the IDE ribbon cable did not have a second connector. I had to hang the
drive on cable I provided. This worked okay for me to get his files
transferred, but not recommended for a beginner. Also, some of the new
machines are coming with SATA hard drive interfaces and I will bet that the
old hard drive is an IDE interface. I hope the motherboard has an IDE
interface if he wants to mount the old drive. I would also recommend he
look very seriously at using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Or if
he want to keep the old hard drive, look for an external USB case to mount
the old drive. These can be picked up for about $30 USD.

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> news:o 3m1LWiaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>

>> Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files
>> and
>> Settings Transfer Wizard:
>> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&cat...
>>
>> See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the
>> definitive
>> instruction piece:
>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>>
>> FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable
>> connection. To
>> connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with
>> USB),
>
> ..though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB
> drive.
>
> Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might
> as
> well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
> "Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.
>
> I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at
> least.
> You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll
> re-associate
> themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down
> alt-R).
>
> I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if
> you're going
> to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.
>

>> you can
>> use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial
>> cable (all
>> $10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a
>> 25-pin or
>> 9-pin serial port.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:44:08 AM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
news:o 3m1LWiaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> > Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files and
> > Settings Transfer Wizard:
> > http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&cat...
> >
> > See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the definitive
> > instruction piece:
> > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
> >
> > FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable connection.
> > connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with USB),
>
> ..though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB drive.

Good point, Bill....although FAST doesn't support transfer via USB cable, you can
save the FAST files to a USB thumb-drive/key-drive, as long as both machines have a
working USB port, and the key drive is one that has Win98 drivers included. USB key
drives are a great investment for continued use after the transfer also.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might as
> well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
> "Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.
>
> I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at least.
> You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll re-associate
> themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down alt-R).
>
> I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if you're going
> to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.
June 6, 2005 9:40:45 AM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:01:57 -0700, "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>,;A word of caution.
>,;The last E-Machine I worked on had no brackets to hold a second hard drive
>,;and the IDE ribbon cable did not have a second connector. I had to hang the
>,;drive on cable I provided. This worked okay for me to get his files
>,;transferred, but not recommended for a beginner. Also, some of the new
>,;machines are coming with SATA hard drive interfaces and I will bet that the
>,;old hard drive is an IDE interface. I hope the motherboard has an IDE
>,;interface if he wants to mount the old drive. I would also recommend he
>,;look very seriously at using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Or if
>,;he want to keep the old hard drive, look for an external USB case to mount
>,;the old drive. These can be picked up for about $30 USD.

Even cheaper and better...Go to ebay and search for "USB to IDE" and
you will fine an easy way to connect your IDE HD to a USB port. I have
purchased several from $14 to $18. What you buy is a USB to IDE cable,
power supply, and laptop HD adapter new in the box.

Now you can quickly connect any of your HDs quickly. Since there is no
cooling for the HD I would not recommend this for a permanent
installation unless you setup some kind of cooling.

>,;"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>,;news:e70K2GkaFHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>,;> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>,;> news:o 3m1LWiaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>,;>
>,;>>
>,;>> Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files
>,;>> and
>,;>> Settings Transfer Wizard:
>,;>> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&cat...
>,;>>
>,;>> See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the
>,;>> definitive
>,;>> instruction piece:
>,;>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>,;>>
>,;>> FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable
>,;>> connection. To
>,;>> connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with
>,;>> USB),
>,;>
>,;> ..though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB
>,;> drive.
>,;>
>,;> Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might
>,;> as
>,;> well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
>,;> "Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.
>,;>
>,;> I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at
>,;> least.
>,;> You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll
>,;> re-associate
>,;> themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down
>,;> alt-R).
>,;>
>,;> I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if
>,;> you're going
>,;> to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.
>,;>
>,;>
>,;>> you can
>,;>> use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial
>,;>> cable (all
>,;>> $10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a
>,;>> 25-pin or
>,;>> 9-pin serial port.
>,;>
>,;>
>,;
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:29:08 AM

What they're trying to sell you is a network setup commonly used for
machines that would be connected on a more permanent basis. You don't need
a router or switch. A cross-over cable is fine if your only connection is
between the two PCs. The next more expensive configuration is a hub with
standard cabling.

Believe XP's after installation stuff indicates just how to do the PC to PC
connection you want. Maybe even a MS KB article as well.
"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
news:o q8zQ6haFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
> simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
> computer to a new one?
>

> When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units
with
> a USB line and that would be that.
>
> Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
> Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.
>
> The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had
> buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't
need
> to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to. So, I
> don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.
>
> Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to
remove
> my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.
>
> If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD,
which
> contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new unit
with
> a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?
>
> In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check,
Scadisk
> and Defrag. All OK.
>
> The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
> The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.
>
> The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not
have
> a floppy drive.
>
> Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
> *not* an instructional video.
>
> rooster
>
> boundary bay, b.c.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:21:42 PM

FWIW the dudes at the local computer service shop were wrong - if the two
machines have network interfaces then all you need is a single swapover
cable. However, installing the old drive as a slave drive in the new
machine is probably the simpler way to go.

For instance:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6030_install-second-hard.html
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
news:o q8zQ6haFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
>simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
>computer to a new one?
>

> When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units
> with a USB line and that would be that.
>
> Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
> Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.
>
> The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had
> to buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't
> need to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to.
> So, I don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.
>
> Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to
> remove my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.
>
> If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD,
> which contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new
> unit with a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?
>
> In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check,
> Scadisk and Defrag. All OK.
>
> The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
> The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.
>
> The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not
> have a floppy drive.
>
> Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
> *not* an instructional video.
>
> rooster
>
> boundary bay, b.c.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:49:52 PM

I opted to move the old HD to the new unit. Fortunately, there was a
bottle of lorazapams kicking around in a drawer from ages past that I have
been saving for just such an occasion.

The crossover/Serial Bus idea had been my first choice. But, the old
Touch Systems Unit has a 25 pin socket and the new Celeron has (like there
would be any doubt) a stingy 9 pin.

I connected it the same way it came out and the same way the existing
HD is connected. When I turned it on, I could hear the old HD start up (it
sounds quite different from the new one) but the screen remained black with
only a little white cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner.

I assume this means I need instructions to enable me to pre-configure
something so the ensemble knows which HD is boss. I reviewed the links
apropos FAST, backups and the How to Install a 2nd HD, but I couldn’t locate
anything showing me exactly how to effect the master/slave protocol ….
although it might well be there, just not in language I understand ,,,, at
least until the lorazapam wears off.

I removed the ribbon and power connects and it is back to normal.

Since both units are OEMs, and since I have only the Restore CD for the
new unit, I decided to speculate that I could create a FAST file *after*
transferring the HD. The old unit can’t burn CDs and the new one doesn’t
have a floppy drive.

rooster
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:20:02 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:efJuOouaFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I opted to move the old HD to the new unit. Fortunately, there was a bottle of lorazapams kicking around in a drawer from ages
> past that I have been saving for just such an occasion.
>

> The crossover/Serial Bus idea had been my first choice. But, the old Touch Systems Unit has a 25 pin socket and the new
> Celeron has (like there would be any doubt) a stingy 9 pin.
>

> I connected it the same way it came out and the same way the existing HD is connected. When I turned it on, I could hear the
> old HD start up (it sounds quite different from the new one) but the screen remained black with only a little white cursor
> blinking in the upper left hand corner.
>
> I assume this means I need instructions to enable me to pre-configure something so the ensemble knows which HD is boss. I reviewed
> the links apropos FAST, backups and the How to Install a 2nd HD, but I couldn’t locate anything showing me exactly how to effect
> the master/slave protocol …. although it might well be there, just not in language I understand ,,,, at least until the lorazapam
> wears off.

Probably because it is still configured as master, and you hooked it up
either as physical slave or "single". Does the label on the HD show jumper
configurations for the jumper? If not what model and size? Most manufacturers
have the details on site. Also, what is the exact physical configuration
(which cable, which connector, and what else is on the cable?) of all ATA devices.

This might help. If you're hooking it up on the middle connector of the ribbon
cable, and on the end connector is another HD or CDROM/DVD or whatever, it needs
to be jumpered as "slave"

> I removed the ribbon and power connects and it is back to normal.

Good. :)

> Since both units are OEMs, and since I have only the Restore CD for the new unit, I decided to speculate that I could create a
> FAST file *after* transferring the HD.

No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information
FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find
your data..

> The old unit can’t burn CDs and the new one doesn’t have a floppy drive.

Save the FAST file to the HD in a folder such as C:\FAST. Then "slave" it.
Run FAST from XP and point it to the old HD. e.g. now maybe D:\FAST
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:20:03 PM

Bill;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information

FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find

your data..

Great! This is going to take me into tomorrow, 'fer shur’. Then I’ll
post the jumper/cable bumph. Its enough to make a guy long for the goose
quill and inkwell, and an amanuensis with nice ankles.

rooster
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:05:55 AM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:eL%23FcEvaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Bill;
>

> Save the FAST file to the HD in a folder such as C:\FAST. Then "slave" it.
>
> Run FAST from XP and point it to the old HD. e.g. now maybe D:\FAST
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information
>
> FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find
>
> your data..
>

> Great! This is going to take me into tomorrow, 'fer shur’. Then I’ll post the jumper/cable bumph. Its enough to make a guy
> long for the goose quill and inkwell, and an amanuensis with nice ankles.

It's not too tough.. once you run it you'll see what it does.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:47:43 AM

After you follow Bill's instruction, and are ready to slave the drive, see if this
helps:
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/hd-jumper-pins-ribbon-ca...
and
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/hard-drive-bios-settings...
(just do the sections on this page headed "Insert Drives into Computer and Attach
Power Connectors", and "Boot the Computer and set drive BIOS settings". Do NOT
format or partition...that would wipe out everything, which you don't want.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Bill;
>

> Save the FAST file to the HD in a folder such as C:\FAST. Then "slave" it.
>
> Run FAST from XP and point it to the old HD. e.g. now maybe D:\FAST
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information
>
> FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find
>
> your data..
>

> Great! This is going to take me into tomorrow, 'fer shur'. Then I'll
> post the jumper/cable bumph. Its enough to make a guy long for the goose
> quill and inkwell, and an amanuensis with nice ankles.
>

> rooster

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:53:56 AM

Bill wrote:

"It's not too tough.. once you run it you'll see what it does"

Right. When I was 5, I chased a skunk once; just to see what it did.

The HD likes it's new bay; evidently. I can't get it back out. There
isn't anything to grip and it is wedged quite firmly at the back. In a
paroxysm of what is probably a monstrous idiocy, it occurred to me to leave
it in there, disconnect the power supply to the new unit, and run the old
power supply and ribbon connector from the old computer to the HD with it
still lodged in the new computer. Then do the FAST formatting on the old
unit in that configuration.

Wadd'ya think?

rooster
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:31:37 PM

But that still leaves me with the necessity of getting the specs from the
old HD and configuring the master/slave pins…. and I would be ‘incommunicado’
in the meanwhile. So I guess I’m going to have to make with the screwdriver
and try to remove the entire HD bay ‘module’ from the new unit and prize the
HD out with a tool.

rooster
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:46:18 PM

I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy.
Black screen; period. I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they
appear to be positioned the same way they came out.

In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to access
screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out from the rear access panel
didn’t seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle with
them a lot in order to close the panel holding the mother board.

I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if
I have bebuggered something else in it’s innards.

I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to
retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to an entirely new HD
and proceed from there? Please say yes. That is, if I haven’t destroyed
anything else important in the old unit?

rooster
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:47:53 PM

I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy.
I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they appear to be the same as
they way they came out.

In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to
access screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out from the rear access
panel didn’t seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle
with them a lot in order to close the panel holding the mother board.

I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if
I have bebuggered something else in it’s innards.

I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to
retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to an entirely new HD
and proceed from there? Please say yes. That is, if I haven’t destroyed
anything else important in the old unit?

rooster
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:57:09 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:eIXWuL7aFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy. I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they
> appear to be the same as they way they came out.
>
> In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to access screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out
> from the rear access panel didn’t seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle with them a lot in order to close
> the panel holding the mother board.
>

> I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if I have bebuggered something else in it’s innards.

Could be the HD, but from what you had to go through, it sounds more like
something isn't connected properly. Does the drive sound like it's spinning
up?

> I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to
> an entirely new HD and proceed from there?

Yes, assuming the drive isn't dead, you can still hook it up to the new unit
and just file copy everything off using explorer.

If you have room on the new HDD, just create a new folder and copy
all data and/or folders over. You can sort it out later with
a 2nd HDD if you want. There are some things I wouldn't worry about.
There's not much point in saving all of C:\Windows, for example, except
for maybe "Favorites". You'll need to pick some data folders out of
\Program files, but most of it is going to be useless.

We still need the information regarding the drive model and how you are
physically connecting it.

> Please say yes. That is, if I haven’t destroyed anything else important in the old unit?

Yes, I'd suggest just doing the file copy to get your data safe first. Then
fiddle with the old box to run the FAST wiz.

FAST was just to make it easier. Things like Outlook Express "email
folders" are a little work to do it manually.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:52:40 AM

Ouch......
I am still here, rooster, but I don't want to confuse the issues with "too many
cooks", and Bill seems to have a better handle on it right now, so go with his
comments and post back with your progress reports.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy.
> I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they appear to be the same as
> they way they came out.
>
> In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to
> access screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out from the rear access
> panel didn't seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle
> with them a lot in order to close the panel holding the mother board.
>

> I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if
> I have bebuggered something else in it's innards.
>

> I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to
> retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to an entirely new HD
> and proceed from there? Please say yes. That is, if I haven't destroyed
> anything else important in the old unit?
>

> rooster

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:59:43 AM

Without a schematic for the motherboard on the old Touch Systems unit,
there is no way to re-seat the access panel cards in the correct slots.
There are just too many variables to make decisions. Descartes wouldn't be
able to graph the cards to the slots based on what can be observed and
measured. With the new computer, I can see at a glance the way things fit to
the MB.

I looked for an identifying code or number on the MB, but I haven't
spotted one yet and the Touch Systems web sites aren't giving me useful
info. Someone with better techno-search skills than me might be able to
discover this, but I'm out of my depth.

My next step is going to have to be to remove the power @ fan assembly
from the top, then remove the HD bracket module, disconnect the ribbon and
power connects from the MB, then detach (unbolt) the rear access panel cards
from the chassis and fit them to what looks like the correct MB slot so I
have an idea of which are the right ones. Then reconnect the ribbons & power
to the MB, replace it (its on hinges), insert the cards where I think they
are supposed to go, rotate the panel back into position, then rebolt the
cards to the chassis.

A major part of my problem stems from the fact that the some of the
cards were originally bolted to the chassis in a stressed position. When I
rotated the panel holding the MB down to access the screws at the back of
the HD, this unseated the MB/cards connects .. a circumstance I was not
anticipating . and the cards sprung into unsymmetrical, not to say
unsatisfying, alignments.

I realize this is a naieve Q, but I would like to know it my docs are
actually retrievable from my old HD or it I am going to have to refit the
old computer and get them from memory stored there. The reason I ask is that
if my attempt at refitting the old unit doesn't succeed, I shall probably
have to spend $80-$160 to have it benched by pros.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:18:49 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:ej$1meKbFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> I realize this is a naieve Q, but I would like to know it my docs are actually retrievable from my old HD or it I am going to
> have to refit the old computer and get them from memory stored there.

Memory has nothing to do with it. All stored data is on the HDD.
Just hook it up to the new computer (again) but make sure it's jumpered
correctly this time. When the OS loads, it will give it a drive letter.
Probably D:

And again :)  what's the drive model, and how are you connecting it?
What cable and location on the cable?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:18:50 PM

Hi Bill;

I got the old computer running again. The painful ordeal with the
motherboard would have been avoided if I had known there is a spring clip
tucked up behind the HD bracket, invisible from the open side, which
releases the HD assembly. L&L eh?

I am on the old unit now. At the moment, the only posts I can access on
it are the last 2. I am sure I included the specs on the HDD 2 posts back.
No graphic on jumper configuration was evident.

CONNECTIONS
When I added the old HD to the new unit, (and nothing worked) I used
the spare ribbon and power supplies. I didn't appreciate the need to
manipulate the 'jumper' pegs at the back.
FYI: the new unit is using a Western Digital, WD 800, Model WD800BB-22JHAO,
DCM HSBHCTJCH, LBA 156301488.
The new HD has graphics indicating 4 jumper pin options:
"Cable select setting": the way it is now joining pins 1 & 2
"Single or Master": no jumper inserted
"Master with Slave Present": Jumper between pins 5 & 6
"Slave" Jumper between 3 & 4

Re: My DAQ
I did think all the necessary doc info was on the HD. I just wasn't
clear on how to interpret your Rx that required the re-installation of the
HD back in the old unit in order to run the FAST program. Bear in mind, up
until a couple of months ago, I thought a hard drive was making 200 yds, off
the 7th at Glen Eagles, or the way to describe the last time I drove down
from Whistler in a blizzard.

I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.

rooster
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:32:40 AM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:uqwfOXVbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bill;
>
> I got the old computer running again. The painful ordeal with the
> motherboard would have been avoided if I had known there is a spring clip
> tucked up behind the HD bracket, invisible from the open side, which
> releases the HD assembly. L&L eh?

No doubt some clever engineer came up with the design while
using autocad.

> I am on the old unit now. At the moment, the only posts I can access on
> it are the last 2. I am sure I included the specs on the HDD 2 posts back.
> No graphic on jumper configuration was evident.
>
> CONNECTIONS
> When I added the old HD to the new unit, (and nothing worked) I used
> the spare ribbon and power supplies. I didn't appreciate the need to
> manipulate the 'jumper' pegs at the back.

I sensed that ;)

> FYI: the new unit is using a Western Digital, WD 800, Model WD800BB-22JHAO,
> DCM HSBHCTJCH, LBA 156301488.
> The new HD has graphics indicating 4 jumper pin options:
> "Cable select setting": the way it is now joining pins 1 & 2
> "Single or Master": no jumper inserted
> "Master with Slave Present": Jumper between pins 5 & 6
> "Slave" Jumper between 3 & 4

You don't state if the "spare ribbon" is the empty middle connector
of the ribbon going to the new HD or other device, or if you plugged a
spare ribbon into the empty ATA port. Since the new HDD is set as cable
select and is on the end cable connector (probably black), the old drive,
(set as master now), also needs to be set as CS, if connected to the
middle (probably gray) connector of the same cable.

If two ATA/IDE devices are on one cable, they both need to be jumpered in
either a Master/Slave relationship, or both need to be set as CS. In that
case (CS) the location on the cable determines Msater or Slave. Master on the
end (black) and Slave in the middle (gray).

Some drive controllers (as your new drive above) also have a "Single"
setting, meaning it's the "sole" master, and is the only drive on
the cable.

No jumper "graphics" on the old drive? The manufacturer's usually archive
them on site.

> Re: My DAQ
> I did think all the necessary doc info was on the HD. I just wasn't
> clear on how to interpret your Rx that required the re-installation of the
> HD back in the old unit in order to run the FAST program.

Since you got it working again, you might as well run FAST.

> Bear in mind, up
> until a couple of months ago, I thought a hard drive was making 200 yds, off
> the 7th at Glen Eagles, or the way to describe the last time I drove down
> from Whistler in a blizzard.
>
> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.

WD-40 can work wonders too ;-))
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:00:36 AM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
>snip
> I am on the old unit now. At the moment, the only posts I can access on
> it are the last 2. I am sure I included the specs on the HDD 2 posts back.
> No graphic on jumper configuration was evident.

Nope....I just reviewed all your posts, and there are no specs listed in any of
them. P'raps the lorazapams were kicking in about then? Post back with any and all
info on the label of the hard drive from the old computer.

> CONNECTIONS
> When I added the old HD to the new unit, (and nothing worked) I used
> the spare ribbon and power supplies. I didn't appreciate the need to
> manipulate the 'jumper' pegs at the back.

By "spare ribbon and power supplies" I am assuming you mean a spare power supply
lead, right? Is the "spare ribbon" a second data ribbon cable that has nothing
attached to it? Or do you mean an empty connector on the same data ribbon cable
that the primary hard drive is connected to?

> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.

Please tell me you just forgot to include the smiley face to go with that, and it is
a joke..........
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:30:16 AM

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:o cGYmAWbFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message

>> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
>> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
>> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.
>
> Please tell me you just forgot to include the smiley face to go with that, and it is
> a joke..........

I had to read it twice to find a clue to a joke, but then thought.. naw..
nobody being serious would say "dusty bits"..

You gotta' hand it to the rooster, two months ago he didn't know what
a hard drive was, and now he's tearing apart and rebuilding the
whole box.. <g>
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:38:25 AM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
news:o k57WRWbFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
news:o cGYmAWbFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
>
> >> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
> >> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
> >> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.
> >
> > Please tell me you just forgot to include the smiley face to go with that, and
it is
> > a joke..........
>
> I had to read it twice to find a clue to a joke, but then thought.. naw..
> nobody being serious would say "dusty bits"..
>
> You gotta' hand it to the rooster, two months ago he didn't know what
> a hard drive was, and now he's tearing apart and rebuilding the
> whole box.. <g>

Absolutely! rooster has come a long way in a very short time......of course, he's
had some good teachers! <g>
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:59:28 AM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message news:e55ULxVbFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:uqwfOXVbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

>> I did think all the necessary doc info was on the HD. I just wasn't
>> clear on how to interpret your Rx that required the re-installation of the
>> HD back in the old unit in order to run the FAST program.
>
> Since you got it working again, you might as well run FAST.

Here's some more info on FAST. You might want to read the "IMPORTANT CAVEAT"
on Outlook Express.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:48:21 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:eEkjsnfbFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> BILL:
>

> RE: "spare ribbon"
>

> The "ribbon" terminates at the native HD with a black connector. Five inches upfeed from it is a grey connector, which is the
> one to which I affixed the old HD. Upfeed from this one, a blue connecter is attached to the Mother Board.

Since you said the master (new drive on end black) is jumpered as CS, you
need to also jumper the slave (middle/grey) as CS. That should be pin 1 & 2
as shown in this diagram (6-pin)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...*&p_li=&p_topview=1

> Similarly, the power supply web has a free '4 female' connector, 5" upfeed from the line terminus which is attached to the
> native HD. That is the one I connected to the old HD.

That's fine.

> The old HD is a:
>
> Western Digital Caviar 21600,
>
> AT compatible
>
> Model WDAC21600-00H,
>
> P/N 99004199-000,
>
> DCM CDACGMH.

> ". you can still hook it up to the new unit and just file copy everything off using explorer."

> That is going to take a little more explaining . that actually sounds like an OK thing to me since there aren't that many
> files I need: perhaps 50 - 60. This new unit works so fast, the job shouldn't take more than an hour. It would be nice to retrieve
> the Favorites URLS, but I can remember most of the actual sites and they tend to be cross-linked to one another to a considerable
> extent.

Say the old drive gets the drive letter D:. Open My Computer and navigate to
D:\Windows\Favorites. Then "Edit > Select all". "Edit > Copy". Then navigate
to C:\Windows\Favorites and "Edit > Paste". That works for Favorites, and
probably almost everything in "My Documents" can simply be copied/pasted.
Some apps' data (such as OEs) may not be so simple.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:56:32 AM

Bill;

Old (current) ATD HD settings: 6-pin, “Single/Neutral”, jumpered @ 3-5.

Setting for CS, jumper @ 1-2

Do I need to alter my BIOS before I move the HD?

Would this venture be made easier if I went the FASTW route as per your
earlier suggestion and:

http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/t-16194.ht...

>"On the new machine create a FASTW disk using the CD Burner and then
> use that CD in the Win98 machine to run FASTW and save the data to a
> folder named \Transfer.
>
> {[N/A I assume] Install the network card in the old machine and configure
> the network so that the hard drive on the old machine is shared on the
> network and
> you can see it from the new machine.}
>
> Then run FASTW on the new machine and import the saved information
> from the \Transfer folder on the old machine." (Thanks to Ron Martell :) )

The reason I ask is that I don’t want to run into trouble and end up
going back to run FAST and having a maelstrom of files and duplicate files
all over the place. Once this exercise is over, I intend to return the old
HD back to his native computer and install a 200 gB HDD slave in the new
computer, and SDRAM to suit. (I’m going to be running a WAVE sound sampler
and Sibelius Notation s’ware in addition to a hungry Tascam peripheral
doodad via firewire. It’s a long story)

rooster

p.s. I haven't thanked you yet for your advice about having a HD and a
Memory check when I was having trouble with Safe Mode. They gave the old
unit a clean bill of health.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:31:16 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:o $bMXynbFHA.2936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Bill;
>
> Old (current) ATD HD settings: 6-pin, “Single/Neutral”, jumpered @ 3-5.
>
> Setting for CS, jumper @ 1-2

Right.

> Do I need to alter my BIOS before I move the HD?

No, the BIOS should detect and enumerate the drive automatically according
to the jumpers and cable position.

> Would this venture be made easier if I went the FASTW route as per your earlier suggestion and:

Assuming the drive isn't taking its last breaths, and you can get the old
system back up, then yes, it probably would be easier. If the drive is
near death, then it'd be safer to just file copy everything off. (The
next read may be you're last) Then if you want, you can try FAST.
If the drive fails at that point at least you'll have your data.

Note: It wasn't mentioned, but you will need a considerable amount
of free space on the old drive if you have a lot of data that is to
be saved by FAST.

> http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/t-16194.ht...
>
>>"On the new machine create a FASTW disk using the CD Burner and then
>> use that CD in the Win98 machine to run FASTW and save the data to a
>> folder named \Transfer.
>>
>> {[N/A I assume] Install the network card in the old machine and configure the network so that the hard drive on the old machine
>> is shared on the network and
>> you can see it from the new machine.}
>>
>> Then run FASTW on the new machine and import the saved information
>> from the \Transfer folder on the old machine." (Thanks to Ron Martell :) )

I don't know if you saw this, but here's a good explanation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

> The reason I ask is that I don’t want to run into trouble and end up going back to run FAST and having a maelstrom of files
> and duplicate files all over the place.

It should be fairly easy to keep things separate if you go that route.
Just copy everything to one folder. You can always delete it afterwards.
FAST will attempt to put the data "where it belongs", but if it misses
something, or fails, you'll have a backup.

> Once this exercise is over, I intend to return the old HD back to his native computer and install a 200 gB HDD slave in the new
> computer, and SDRAM to suit. (I’m going to be running a WAVE sound sampler and Sibelius Notation s’ware in addition to a hungry
> Tascam peripheral doodad via firewire. It’s a long story)
>

> rooster
>

> p.s. I haven't thanked you yet for your advice about having a HD and a Memory check when I was having trouble with Safe Mode. They
> gave the old unit a clean bill of health.

You're welcome. How was it determined that the old HD was failing? (I don't
remember.. :)
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:20:01 PM

Bill:

OLD HD

I think the old HD is probably OK. There is still a problem with
restart/reboot which I was not able to correct or explain satisfactorily.
Before the problem began, the usual reboot sequence included the prompt
to select which mode, i.e., Normal (1) or Safe Mode (3). Normal was usually
already hilited. After making the choice to enter Normal, the program
resumes but, the prompt now appears a 2nd time with Safe Mode hilited. When
I reselect Normal, the prompt page does not respond immediately; it waits
out the built in default wait time before resuming the W98 install.
If I am rebooting after completing an exercise in Safe Mode, Windows
eventually presents with the Safe Mode Display characteristics (skins?)
although I do have internet access and all the usual programs run OK. Also,
the HD makes a fuss while loading Windows, suggesting there is a problem
choosing which mode to load. The ‘fly in a bottle’ noises can go on for a
considerable time. The pattern of buzzes keeps repeating rhythmicly,
sometimes for more than 5 minutes. It was this noise that gave me pause to
suspect the HD was getting alzheimers.
If I do a restart, unplugging the power supply briefly, the above still
occurs with the exception that Windows eventually does load in Normal Mode
with it’s skin intact.

FREE SPACE
I have at least 50% disc space left. I could free even more since I won’t
be needing programs such as AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, A(square), SWBlaster,
Winpatrol in the near future. And there is no need to transfer their data
since they are already installed on the new unit.

CREATE A FAST DISK
I took a shot at this last eve, but was not successful. I must be
misreading one of the instructions along the way. All I am getting is an
empty file showing up on the disc I try to burn. I’ll try again after dinner
and some quality time with the missus (dishes) and if I still have a problem
after reviewing the links in this thread, I’ll consult that great throbbing
brain of yours for clues.

rooster
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:33:29 AM

Bill:

The new unit is an OEM version, as I’ve mentioned a couple of times. I
have the, “Restore DVD”, but no Windows XP Installation CD. I’ve been
taking the preceding Rx’s, viz. FSTW, to mean I could burn the Wizard
portion of XP using the new unit, load that into my W98 unit to create the
necessary transfer folder, then add the HD to the new unit and transfer the
necessary doc’s and settings per the FSTW app.

Since I am not succeeding in burning this Win XP FSTW Installation
Disk, or even finding a direct reference to doing it, I am wondering if I am
not understanding the drill, or if y’all might be assuming I have the
complete XP Installation CD in hand.

rooster
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:39:05 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:uq0yMN1bFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Bill:
>
> The new unit is an OEM version, as I’ve mentioned a couple of times. I have the, “Restore DVD”, but no Windows XP Installation
> CD. I’ve been taking the preceding Rx’s, viz. FSTW, to mean I could burn the Wizard portion of XP using the new unit, load that
> into my W98 unit to create the necessary transfer folder, then add the HD to the new unit and transfer the necessary doc’s and
> settings per the FSTW app.
>
> Since I am not succeeding in burning this Win XP FSTW Installation Disk, or even finding a direct reference to doing it, I am
> wondering if I am not understanding the drill, or if y’all might be assuming I have the complete XP Installation CD in hand.

No telling what is on your Restore disk, but it should be \SUPPORT\TOOLS\FASTWIZ.EXE
If you have that, just boot 98, put the XP disk (Exit XP-setup when/if it auto-runs),
navigate to fastwiz.exe and double-click it. Then just follow the wizard.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:42:45 PM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message news:o 12T6x1bFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:uq0yMN1bFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Bill:
>>
>> The new unit is an OEM version, as I’ve mentioned a couple of times. I have the, “Restore DVD”, but no Windows XP
>> Installation CD. I’ve been taking the preceding Rx’s, viz. FSTW, to mean I could burn the Wizard portion of XP using the new
>> unit, load that into my W98 unit to create the necessary transfer folder, then add the HD to the new unit and transfer the
>> necessary doc’s and settings per the FSTW app.
>>
>> Since I am not succeeding in burning this Win XP FSTW Installation Disk, or even finding a direct reference to doing it, I am
>> wondering if I am not understanding the drill, or if y’all might be assuming I have the complete XP Installation CD in hand.
>

> No telling what is on your Restore disk, but it should be \SUPPORT\TOOLS\FASTWIZ.EXE
> If you have that, just boot 98, put the XP disk (Exit XP-setup when/if it auto-runs),
> navigate to fastwiz.exe and double-click it. Then just follow the wizard.

How To Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP CD-ROM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306186/
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:45:10 PM

From http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php#usb

<quote>
You Can Even Use USB Devices to Make a Wizard Disk!
I recently discovered, through experimentation, that the F.A.S.T. wizard will use
any USB removable drive in place of a floppy disk for the wizard disk to be used on
the old computer. This means you can use the new USB Jump or Flash Drives. It also
means something as simple as a Compact Flash memory card or other flash memory card
along with a card reader can be used in place of a floppy disk if you do not have a
floppy disk drive on your old computer. If you have USB on the old computer and a
little over a megabyte of space available, you are good to go! In the screen that
says, "Do you have a Windows XP CD," you can select "I want to create a Wizard
Disk."

There is a pull-down menu that defaults to the floppy drive. Any removable USB drive
will show up in the pull-down menu - just select to make the wizard disk on that USB
drive. You do have to have the USB Jump drive or memory card reader connected to
your USB drive prior to starting the F.A.S.T. wizard. When you go to the old
computer, just connect the removable USB drive and double-click on or open the
WIZARD.EXE file and it will load and run the wizard on that computer to gather the
information to transfer with the F.A.S.T. Wizard.
</quote>
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Bill:
>
> The new unit is an OEM version, as I've mentioned a couple of times. I
> have the, "Restore DVD", but no Windows XP Installation CD. I've been
> taking the preceding Rx's, viz. FSTW, to mean I could burn the Wizard
> portion of XP using the new unit, load that into my W98 unit to create the
> necessary transfer folder, then add the HD to the new unit and transfer the
> necessary doc's and settings per the FSTW app.
>
> Since I am not succeeding in burning this Win XP FSTW Installation
> Disk, or even finding a direct reference to doing it, I am wondering if I am
> not understanding the drill, or if y'all might be assuming I have the
> complete XP Installation CD in hand.
>

> rooster

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:12:19 AM

Hi Glen;

That just sounds sooo cool! I found the same site earlier and
snorkeled around it for half an hour; but, I couldn't get my head far enough
above the water line to get a clean look.

For example:

<snip>

"F.A.S.T. wizard will use any USB removable drive in place of a floppy disk
for the wizard disk."

<snip>

My Q is: doesn't the old HDD qualify as a, "USB removable drive"? I
know there is a difference between an HDD and a "driver", but if XP will
write FSTW on a USB Jump or Flash Drive, why won't it write it, including
any necessary, "drive(er)", to the old HDD? I could then reinstall it back
in the old PC and proceed; methinks. I mean, one way or another, the Wiz has
got to get stuck into the old HDD, eh?

Perhaps I am not understanding the 'pas de deux' that has to take place
between the Wiz and the W98 Registry, but I hope you can see why I am
puzzled.

<snip>

"It also means something as simple as a Compact Flash memory card or other
flash memory card along with a card reader can be used in place of a floppy
disk if you do not have a floppy disk drive on your old computer."

I do have a floppy in the old PC, just not in the new one. And, if a
floppy would satisfy, why not a CD which I can burn in the new PC and which
the old unit can read just fine?

This aside for a moment, the image I am getting from you is to install
a flash chip in the new computer and (somehow) invest it with the Wizard,
then stick the chip in the old pc along with a reader.

I think the new unit has a flash drive slot in the front. I assume that the
old motherboard would accommodate it as well as the reader.but that is an
assumption for a cpu built in '94, by very tiny people.

<snip>

"Any removable USB drive will show up in the pull-down menu ."

<snip>

Why not the entire HDD (D:\ Drive?) or, why not the CD which I could
burn instead of a floppy?

Another concern I have comes via something a 'longhead' who lives
across Georgia Straight form me wrote once:

<snip>

"The SLP process for OEM versions of Windows XP ties the computer to the
specific motherboard BIOS."

<snip> Ron Martell, Duncan, B.C.

I'm not sure what that means, exactly; but, it doesn't sound good. If
the same Safe Launch Plan applies to the W98 OEM, even borrowing a WinXP
Installation CD wouldn't be technically feasible; licensing notwithstanding.
Like as not, the attempt might bebugger the W98 BIOS if XP tried to load.

This is a real 'poser', eh? Perhaps the question as to how to transfer
files between 2 Win OEMs is something MS programmers could address... that
is, perhaps the subject has been asked before, somewhere. Perhaps the XP
Wizard just isn't the solution.

rooster

boundary bay, bc
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:53:05 PM

Hi Bill;

David Guess writes:

http://www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx

<snip>

“Outlook Express Quick Backup will remain online. The intent of the program
remains the same, to be able to backup a system's Outlook Express files and
settings in case of some unfortunate accident. It is not a program for
transferring OE from computer to computer unless you wish to do a bit of
editing, which can easily be done if you are savvy enough. If you just need
to be able to transfer the DBX files to another computer, it of course will
back them up so you can IMPORT then into the second system.”

<snip>

David seems to be telling us that, with the OEQB utility, I can create
an OE backup folder on the old C:\ and transposit the OE .dbx files there.
Then, after moving the old HDD to the slave position on the new pc, I
should, “…be able to transfer the DBX files to [the new] computer,…”

The reason I am looking at this option is because of what Tom Koch
wrote about OE:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm
<snip>
”How to move your store folder

It is quite easy to move your store folder to a more convenient location,
rather than buried in the Windows folder. First open Windows Explorer and
create a folder you want OE to use for the new store, preferably on a
separate local drive or partition. You cannot move the store to a network
drive nor a removable drive.”
<snip>

Tom’s Rx has a plausible ring to it; the only thing I am dubious about is
the new pc’s ability to distinguish between 2 drives: a master C:\, and a
slave D:\ ,with a C:\ drive on it.

rooster
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:56:25 AM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:ewOURMScFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> the only thing I am dubious about is the new pc’s ability to distinguish between 2 drives: a master C:\, and a slave D:\ ,with a
> C:\ drive on it.

You mean a D: drive with a Win98 install on it? It'll work. As far as
XP is concerned it's just another volume. I wouldn't run any programs
off the old drive. Just get your data.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:57:04 AM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:%23GxHd%23JcFHA.2964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "F.A.S.T. wizard will use any USB removable drive in place of a floppy disk for the wizard disk."
>
> <snip>
>
> My Q is: doesn't the old HDD qualify as a, "USB removable drive"? I know there is a difference between an HDD and a "driver",
> but if XP will write FSTW on a USB Jump or Flash Drive, why won't it write it, including any necessary, "drive(er)", to the old
> HDD? I could then reinstall it back in the old PC and proceed; methinks. I mean, one way or another, the Wiz has got to get stuck
> into the old HDD, eh?

I think Glen was just pointing out another option.

The wizard runs from the CD. Just run it. Choose "Other" as the destination
and browse to a folder on the HD. Then choose "custom".
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:41:20 PM

Bill;

Apparently so:

<XP-RESTORE-CDROM>\SUPPORT\TOOLS\FASTWIZ.EXE> is on “D:\” ; Support Folders,
Folder Tools, FASTWIZ, as: Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor, 1.11 mB.

It makes me wonder if it would be worth putting the old HDD back and
trying to run the Wiz from the Restore Disk, once I am sure I have
everything copied over to WP.

In the short term, I am content to have access to the, “E:\ “, drive ….
I’m still vague on what actually occurred when I clicked, “Merge” => “Copy
to Registry”, on 3/5 files in the OE Backup Folder which gave, "Merge", as a
menu option. Nothing actually changed that I can see when I go to XP OE
Address Book & Files; i.e., nothing resembling a merger seems to have
occurred.

In addition, the Address Book in the Backup File does not actually
yield an alphabetical directory as does the original address book. All that
appears on the, “skin?”, of what would be the directory, is the name only of
the first addressee. I have to go to, “Find”, and type in the name or nick
from memory to bring up the details. It might just be I need to do some
tweaking.

The thing of it is, is; if the FASTWiz Recovery Disc does succeed in
creating the appropriate folder on the old, OEM PC, and if that folder can
be retrieved by slaving an old HDD to a new XP computer, it might qualify as
a footnote appended to texts/tutorials on the FASTW app. To whit:
“Recovering Files and Settings from/to OEM Computers (i.e. W95, W98, W98
SE…etc) using the WinXP Recovery Disk”….. or something like. Being such a
newbie, it is all, “majik” to me. I wouldn’t know if it was just too obvious
among the savvy set to have been worth including, or if it might be helpful
enough to deserve mention.

If you think it worth the candle, I’ll give it a try in a week or so to
see what happens. The only thing I read which gave me pause to caution were
references to WinXP CD’s trying to modify the BIOS of the old computer [op.
cit., Ron Martell], and an oblique qualifier concerning the need to ensure
LBA is enabled in order to see the full size of the Hard drive. (BTW: LBA
support was included in SP1 and SP2.)

I’m still such a newbie, I feel like a ‘poseur’ even using a lot of the
terms I come across. If someone were to ask me to explain what I actually
meant by some of the things I write in these posts, I wouldn’t know whether
to putt, punt or pucker.

rooster
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:40:23 PM

The reference header is too long - OE can't handle it, so I had to
reply to another message.

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:o 1HnhzhcFHA.2980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Bill;
>
> Apparently so:
>
> <XP-RESTORE-CDROM>\SUPPORT\TOOLS\FASTWIZ.EXE> is on “D:\” ; Support Folders, Folder Tools, FASTWIZ, as: Win32 Cabinet
> Self-Extractor, 1.11 mB.

That's it.

> It makes me wonder if it would be worth putting the old HDD back and trying to run the Wiz from the Restore Disk, once I am
> sure I have everything copied over to WP.

WP?

> In the short term, I am content to have access to the, “E:\ “, drive …. I’m still vague on what actually occurred when I
> clicked, “Merge” => “Copy to Registry”, on 3/5 files in the OE Backup Folder which gave, "Merge", as a menu option. Nothing
> actually changed that I can see when I go to XP OE Address Book & Files; i.e., nothing resembling a merger seems to have occurred.
>
> In addition, the Address Book in the Backup File does not actually yield an alphabetical directory as does the original
> address book. All that appears on the, “skin?”, of what would be the directory, is the name only of the first addressee. I have to
> go to, “Find”, and type in the name or nick from memory to bring up the details. It might just be I need to do some tweaking.

I'm not familiar with the program you used to do the merge, but it sounds
like your data is there? I wouldn't try to merge another set. If you want
to attempt the FAST "wiz", and grab OE stores again, it might be a good
idea to remove everything from the new install first. Either way you do
it, you have a backup, so if it doesn't work you can start over.

> The thing of it is, is; if the FASTWiz Recovery Disc does succeed in creating the appropriate folder on the old, OEM PC, and
> if that folder can be retrieved by slaving an old HDD to a new XP computer, it might qualify as a footnote appended to
> texts/tutorials on the FASTW app. To whit: “Recovering Files and Settings from/to OEM Computers (i.e. W95, W98, W98 SE…etc) using
> the WinXP Recovery Disk”….. or something like. Being such a newbie, it is all, “majik” to me. I wouldn’t know if it was just too
> obvious among the savvy set to have been worth including, or if it might be helpful enough to deserve mention.

I don't think FAST discriminates between OEM and non-OEM. It simply copies
registry entries and data.

> If you think it worth the candle, I’ll give it a try in a week or so to see what happens. The only thing I read which gave me
> pause to caution were references to WinXP CD’s trying to modify the BIOS of the old computer [op. cit., Ron Martell], and an
> oblique qualifier concerning the need to ensure LBA is enabled in order to see the full size of the Hard drive. (BTW: LBA
> support was included in SP1 and SP2.)

That's really a non-issue with your old "small" drive. (though I'm not
too clear what you're asking) ? The old drive is apparently being
read correctly.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:40:24 PM

Bill:

“The reference header is too long - OE can't handle it, so I had to

reply to another message”

I have no idea what that means. Did I push a wrong button?

“WP”: = typo. s/b XP; sorry.

MERGE PROGRAM

It was not a good idea to have done the ‘merge’ thing. After a
restart, I lost access my XP OE files, data, settings and account info
entirely. I had to restore the registry to the day before to get up and
running again.

To actually view the files in OEQB folder, e.g. “Sent Items” and etc.,
I apparently have to do something with AutoCAD. This is new to me and I
haven’t tinkered beyond the alert about it, yet.

Seems to me I used something by a similar name on a Mac back in ’84 when
designing a manometer to calibrate/balance multiple, downdraft Weber
Carburetors, but I doubt it’s the same thing, eh? Naw; couldn’t be.

OEM and non-OEM

As I indicated, this might well be something too obvious to be worth
mentioning to non-newbies. For me, it would have sped things up if I had
been able understand the Restore CD could do the task. It might even have
been covered somewhere and I overlooked it. If the FSTW drill had included
something like: “ Install the WinXP CD (or the Restore DVD if working with
an OEM…”, it might have made an impression. Or, maybe I just would have
found something else to worry about….who knows?

“…a non-issue with your old "small" drive.”

I realize this. I was considering other people with more conventional
(current) equipment who might need to be aware of this.

rooster
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:10:19 PM

BETTER warn rooster, it's a SERIOUS symptom of XP-radiation poisoning
when you begin to wonder whether things exist! The rash is nothing!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
....snip
| btw.. I'm still curious if
<XP-RESTORE-CDROM>\SUPPORT\TOOLS\FASTWIZ.EXE exists?

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
....snip

| Hey..You can still hang around here. Just don't mention XP anymore. It
makes
| PCR break out in a radiation rash.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:28:02 AM

Bill;

The reference to Ron Martell was to something I copy/pasted from PC
Review Forum or a MS XP KB article I came across while link-leaping. I
remember the page had several MS MVP’s articles including Ron Guess and Tom
Koch. I’m not able to track it back right now but I’ll keep trying.

There seemed to me to be a number of red flags against running the XP
Restore DVD in the W98 unit, at least to someone of my limited understanding
of basic OS’s. Another one of these was by Bruce Chambers:

<snip>
"Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

5/8/2004 1:27:54 PM Re: XP pro install over win98

Greetings -- An OEM WinXP installation CD _cannot_ be used top perform an
upgrade of an earlier operating system. Such CDs are specificallydesigned
to only perform full installations upon empty hard drives." Bruce Chambers
<snip>

To a newbie like me, lacking the necessary foundation in IT, references
like this leave the impression that evil could befall anyone inserting a
Restore or Installation CD into an old cpu’s OS. It might try to actually
install itself and modify the BIOS set by the OEM designer.

MERGE

Thanks for the link. I just noticed XP has a Merge app built in to it
too. By the time I get this all sorted out with the AutoCAD app, I should
have a good idea what to do next.

rooster
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:26:32 AM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:egIVzTvcFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Bill;
>
> The reference to Ron Martell was to something I copy/pasted from PC Review Forum or a MS XP KB article I came across while
> link-leaping. I remember the page had several MS MVP’s articles including Ron Guess and Tom Koch. I’m not able to track it back
> right now but I’ll keep trying.
>
> There seemed to me to be a number of red flags against running the XP Restore DVD in the W98 unit, at least to someone of my
> limited understanding of basic OS’s. Another one of these was by Bruce Chambers:

Yes, you definetly don't want to run the "setup" or restore", but if
you just run fastwiz.exe you'll be ok. Any respectful program should
have the option to cancel before making any changes, but to be
safe, you can hold the shift key down while inserting the CD to keep
"restore" from autorunning. Then navigate to fastwiz.exe with explorer
and open it.

> <snip>
> "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>

> 5/8/2004 1:27:54 PM Re: XP pro install over win98
>
> Greetings -- An OEM WinXP installation CD _cannot_ be used top perform an upgrade of an earlier operating system. Such CDs are
> specificallydesigned to only perform full installations upon empty hard drives." Bruce Chambers <snip>
>
> To a newbie like me, lacking the necessary foundation in IT, references like this leave the impression that evil could befall
> anyone inserting a Restore or Installation CD into an old cpu’s OS. It might try to actually install itself and modify the BIOS
> set by the OEM designer.

It probably would just "not work" in the first place, but yeah, I wouldn't
tempt it by running the "restore"

I'm not positive..but I think fastwiz.exe is a standalone app. I *think*
you could just burn it to a CD and run it by itself. (I may be wrong on
that)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:26:33 AM

Bill;

<snip>

“Yes, you definetly don't want to run the "setup" or restore", but if you
just run fastwiz.exe you'll be ok. Any respectful program should have the
option to cancel before making any changes, but to be safe, you can hold the
shift key down while inserting the CD to keep "restore" from autorunning.
Then navigate to fastwiz.exe with explorer and open it.

<snip>

Valuable tip. “…you can hold the shift key down …” I hadn’t absorbed
that safety tip and hence I was loathe to just stick the Restore DVD up Ol’
Paint’s … in mean ‘in’ Ol’paint’s CD slot with no control over what
happened.

<snip>

“I'm not positive..but I think fastwiz.exe is a standalone app. I *think*
you could just burn it to a CD and run it by itself. (I may be wrong on
that)”

<snip>

I took a shot at doing this before (my post; June 11 @ 7:20p.m.) but
only managed to copy/burn an empty folder to the CD. I think you are right,
though; see the article signed by DaBoro:

http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/t-16194.ht...

I had not burned a CD before this attempt, so I probably didn’t
completely understand/follow directions. The drill was premised on using
FSTW to transfer files to a new HDD, I think; and I got a bit confused as to
the functional designation, (i.e. old vs. new), of each HDD in my case.

rooster
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:55:32 PM

Hi again;

I have the OEQB folder on both HD’s; however, when I click on the
entry, I am prompted to open it with AutoCad (Autodesk?). When I do this, I
am advised the file cannot be located… and that is as far as I can get. If I
try to proceed, I just get the Autocad main page as if to make a drawing.

I need a correspondence file from OE, ASAP, and I would prefer not
having to swap HDD again if possible. If anyone has done this procedure, I
would appreciate some advice on how to view my OE files.

rooster
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:51:55 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:%239PA0%23OdFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi again;
>
> I have the OEQB folder on both HD’s; however, when I click on the entry, I am prompted to open it with AutoCad (Autodesk?).
> When I do this, I am advised the file cannot be located… and that is as far as I can get. If I try to proceed, I just get the
> Autocad main page as if to make a drawing.

I don't know OEQB.

From your own quote in anothe rmessage

<snip>

“Outlook Express Quick Backup will remain online. The intent of the program
remains the same, to be able to backup a system's Outlook Express files and
settings in case of some unfortunate accident. It is not a program for
transferring OE from computer to computer unless you wish to do a bit of
editing, which can easily be done if you are savvy enough. If you just need
to be able to transfer the DBX files to another computer, it of course will
back them up so you can IMPORT then into the second system.”

<snip>

Open OE and do a "File > Import" ? (a guess)

> I need a correspondence file from OE, ASAP, and I would prefer not having to swap HDD again if possible. If anyone has done
> this procedure, I would appreciate some advice on how to view my OE files.

Unless someone here familiar with OEQB responds, you might want to start a
thread in an OE group concerning OEQB.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:46:51 PM

Bill;

BTW; I don’t feel quite as stupid as I did before I read the following
thread. Even the Titans can trip and bump heads when running Backup and/
File Transfer applications for the first time.

http://www.officefrustration.com/q-t_261198-Disaster!.html

I wimped out rather than risk creating a confusing mess of files. I put the
HD back in the old unit and forwarded the files I needed. Fortunately for
me, this involved a relatively small number of emails. The whole process
only took about 10 minutes.

Thanks for all your input. I learned a lot and I appreciate it very much.

Happy trails,

rooster
!