Install old HD in an new computer

I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
computer to a new one?

When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units with
a USB line and that would be that.

Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.

The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had to
buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't need
to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to. So, I
don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.

Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to remove
my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.

If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD, which
contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new unit with
a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?

In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check, Scadisk
and Defrag. All OK.

The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.

The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not have
a floppy drive.

Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
*not* an instructional video.

rooster

boundary bay, b.c.

Install the hard drive from the old computer as a slave in the new computer, then
see here for your email:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/simple.htm

More info here:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

You can copy your documents files (.txt, .doc, .rtf, .htm) directly from their
locations on the old hard drive, to the new hard drive. Ditto for image files
(.bmp, .jpg, .gif), videos and so forth.

Or:

Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard:
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&catId=100408&tid=100008&p=2

See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the definitive
instruction piece:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable connection. To
connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with USB), you can
use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial cable (all
$10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a 25-pin or
9-pin serial port.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:O3m1LWiaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files and
> Settings Transfer Wizard:
> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&catId=100408&tid=100008&p=2
>
> See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the definitive
> instruction piece:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable connection. To
> connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with USB),

...though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB drive.

Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might as
well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
"Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.

I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at least.
You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll re-associate
themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down alt-R).

I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if you're going
to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.

> you can
> use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial cable (all
> $10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a 25-pin or
> 9-pin serial port.

A word of caution.
The last E-Machine I worked on had no brackets to hold a second hard drive
and the IDE ribbon cable did not have a second connector. I had to hang the
drive on cable I provided. This worked okay for me to get his files
transferred, but not recommended for a beginner. Also, some of the new
machines are coming with SATA hard drive interfaces and I will bet that the
old hard drive is an IDE interface. I hope the motherboard has an IDE
interface if he wants to mount the old drive. I would also recommend he
look very seriously at using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Or if
he want to keep the old hard drive, look for an external USB case to mount
the old drive. These can be picked up for about $30 USD.

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

>> Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files
>> and
>> Settings Transfer Wizard:
>> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&catId=100408&tid=100008&p=2
>>
>> See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the
>> definitive
>> instruction piece:
>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>>
>> FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable
>> connection. To
>> connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with
>> USB),
>
> ..though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB
> drive.
>
> Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might
> as
> well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
> "Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.
>
> I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at
> least.
> You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll
> re-associate
> themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down
> alt-R).
>
> I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if
> you're going
> to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.
>

>> you can
>> use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial
>> cable (all
>> $10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a
>> 25-pin or
>> 9-pin serial port.

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

> > Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files and
> > Settings Transfer Wizard:
> > http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&catId=100408&tid=100008&p=2
> >
> > See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the definitive
> > instruction piece:
> > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
> >
> > FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable connection.
> > connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with USB),
>
> ..though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB drive.

Good point, Bill....although FAST doesn't support transfer via USB cable, you can
save the FAST files to a USB thumb-drive/key-drive, as long as both machines have a
working USB port, and the key drive is one that has Win98 drivers included. USB key
drives are a great investment for continued use after the transfer also.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might as
> well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
> "Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.
>
> I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at least.
> You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll re-associate
> themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down alt-R).
>
> I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if you're going
> to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:01:57 -0700, "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>,;A word of caution.
>,;The last E-Machine I worked on had no brackets to hold a second hard drive
>,;and the IDE ribbon cable did not have a second connector. I had to hang the
>,;drive on cable I provided. This worked okay for me to get his files
>,;transferred, but not recommended for a beginner. Also, some of the new
>,;machines are coming with SATA hard drive interfaces and I will bet that the
>,;old hard drive is an IDE interface. I hope the motherboard has an IDE
>,;interface if he wants to mount the old drive. I would also recommend he
>,;look very seriously at using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Or if
>,;he want to keep the old hard drive, look for an external USB case to mount
>,;the old drive. These can be picked up for about $30 USD.

Even cheaper and better...Go to ebay and search for "USB to IDE" and
you will fine an easy way to connect your IDE HD to a USB port. I have
purchased several from $14 to $18. What you buy is a USB to IDE cable,
power supply, and laptop HD adapter new in the box.

Now you can quickly connect any of your HDs quickly. Since there is no
cooling for the HD I would not recommend this for a permanent
installation unless you setup some kind of cooling.

>,;"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>,;news:e70K2GkaFHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>,;> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>,;> news:O3m1LWiaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>,;>
>,;>>
>,;>> Windows XP, which I assume is on your new computer, comes with the Files
>,;>> and
>,;>> Settings Transfer Wizard:
>,;>> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103805&catId=100408&tid=100008&p=2
>,;>>
>,;>> See here for many more details on how to use FAST...this is the
>,;>> definitive
>,;>> instruction piece:
>,;>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>,;>>
>,;>> FAST can be used with a network connection, CD-RW, or a serial cable
>,;>> connection. To
>,;>> connect both PCs using a serial cable (the FSTW isn't compatible with
>,;>> USB),
>,;>
>,;> ..though, you can _save/restore_ the FAST files to/from a removable USB
>,;> drive.
>,;>
>,;> Or,, if you need to slave up the old drive to get other files, you might
>,;> as
>,;> well save the FAST file(s) to the hard drive. Just select "Other" and then
>,;> "Browse" when prompted for the location and create a new (FAST) folder.
>,;>
>,;> I suggest the "custom" option and then "remove" all file associations at
>,;> least.
>,;> You're going to have to reinstall those apps anyway, and they'll
>,;> re-associate
>,;> themselves. (hint: highlight the top file association and hold down
>,;> alt-R).
>,;>
>,;> I also wouldn't use it to transfer "special folders", in the case, if
>,;> you're going
>,;> to hook up the old drive and copy files over manually.
>,;>
>,;>
>,;>> you can
>,;>> use a basic serial cable, serial file transfer cable or null modem serial
>,;>> cable (all
>,;>> $10-15), but your choice will depend on whether your computers have a
>,;>> 25-pin or
>,;>> 9-pin serial port.
>,;>
>,;>
>,;

What they're trying to sell you is a network setup commonly used for
machines that would be connected on a more permanent basis. You don't need
a router or switch. A cross-over cable is fine if your only connection is
between the two PCs. The next more expensive configuration is a hub with
standard cabling.

Believe XP's after installation stuff indicates just how to do the PC to PC
connection you want. Maybe even a MS KB article as well.
"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
> simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
> computer to a new one?
>

> When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units
with
> a USB line and that would be that.
>
> Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
> Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.
>
> The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had
> buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't
need
> to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to. So, I
> don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.
>
> Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to
remove
> my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.
>
> If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD,
which
> contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new unit
with
> a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?
>
> In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check,
Scadisk
> and Defrag. All OK.
>
> The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
> The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.
>
> The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not
have
> a floppy drive.
>
> Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
> *not* an instructional video.
>
> rooster
>
> boundary bay, b.c.

FWIW the dudes at the local computer service shop were wrong - if the two
machines have network interfaces then all you need is a single swapover
cable. However, installing the old drive as a slave drive in the new
machine is probably the simpler way to go.

For instance:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6030_install-second-hard.html
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
>I don't know how much info is necessary, so I'll begin with what I hope a
>simple Q. What is the best way to access and/or transfer data from an old
>computer to a new one?
>

> When I got the new unit, I thought I could simply connect the two units
> with a USB line and that would be that.
>
> Then I thought I could use a file sharing routine and use OE to export my
> Address Book and Document to my new unit via the internet.
>
> The dudes at a local computer service shop (which just opened) said I had
> to buy a router, switcher and a $30 cable; about $120 altogether. I don't
> need to 'network' the old computer and I don't know why I would want to.
> So, I don't think the dudes were giving me the right advice.
>
> Now I am at the point where it appears to me the correct thing is to
> remove my old HD and (try to) install it in my new computer.
>
> If I do this, will I need a boot disk in order to add my old ASUS HD,
> which contains my W98 OEM OS with wab and doc files I require, to a new
> unit with a Samsung HD in it and running WinXP-HE OEM, SP2 ?
>
> In preparation, I ran a HD check from the ASUS site, a Memory check,
> Scadisk and Defrag. All OK.
>
> The old unit (Touch Systems of Canada) ran with 133 mHz, 16 mB RAM (sic).
> The new unit (eMachines Celeron) runs with 2.66 gHz and 160 gB RAM.
>
> The old unit has a floppy drive but no CD burner. The new unit does not
> have a floppy drive.
>
> Bear in mind, I'm still not completely convinced that, "Dumb & Dumber", is
> *not* an instructional video.
>
> rooster
>
> boundary bay, b.c.

I opted to move the old HD to the new unit. Fortunately, there was a
bottle of lorazapams kicking around in a drawer from ages past that I have
been saving for just such an occasion.

The crossover/Serial Bus idea had been my first choice. But, the old
Touch Systems Unit has a 25 pin socket and the new Celeron has (like there
would be any doubt) a stingy 9 pin.

I connected it the same way it came out and the same way the existing
HD is connected. When I turned it on, I could hear the old HD start up (it
sounds quite different from the new one) but the screen remained black with
only a little white cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner.

I assume this means I need instructions to enable me to pre-configure
something so the ensemble knows which HD is boss. I reviewed the links
apropos FAST, backups and the How to Install a 2nd HD, but I couldn’t locate
anything showing me exactly how to effect the master/slave protocol ….
although it might well be there, just not in language I understand ,,,, at
least until the lorazapam wears off.

I removed the ribbon and power connects and it is back to normal.

Since both units are OEMs, and since I have only the Restore CD for the
new unit, I decided to speculate that I could create a FAST file *after*
transferring the HD. The old unit can’t burn CDs and the new one doesn’t
have a floppy drive.

rooster

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:efJuOouaFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I opted to move the old HD to the new unit. Fortunately, there was a bottle of lorazapams kicking around in a drawer from ages
> past that I have been saving for just such an occasion.
>

> The crossover/Serial Bus idea had been my first choice. But, the old Touch Systems Unit has a 25 pin socket and the new
> Celeron has (like there would be any doubt) a stingy 9 pin.
>

> I connected it the same way it came out and the same way the existing HD is connected. When I turned it on, I could hear the
> old HD start up (it sounds quite different from the new one) but the screen remained black with only a little white cursor
> blinking in the upper left hand corner.
>
> I assume this means I need instructions to enable me to pre-configure something so the ensemble knows which HD is boss. I reviewed
> the links apropos FAST, backups and the How to Install a 2nd HD, but I couldn’t locate anything showing me exactly how to effect
> the master/slave protocol …. although it might well be there, just not in language I understand ,,,, at least until the lorazapam
> wears off.

Probably because it is still configured as master, and you hooked it up
either as physical slave or "single". Does the label on the HD show jumper
configurations for the jumper? If not what model and size? Most manufacturers
have the details on site. Also, what is the exact physical configuration
(which cable, which connector, and what else is on the cable?) of all ATA devices.

This might help. If you're hooking it up on the middle connector of the ribbon
cable, and on the end connector is another HD or CDROM/DVD or whatever, it needs
to be jumpered as "slave"

> I removed the ribbon and power connects and it is back to normal.

Good. :)

> Since both units are OEMs, and since I have only the Restore CD for the new unit, I decided to speculate that I could create a
> FAST file *after* transferring the HD.

No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information
FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find
your data..

> The old unit can’t burn CDs and the new one doesn’t have a floppy drive.

Save the FAST file to the HD in a folder such as C:\FAST. Then "slave" it.
Run FAST from XP and point it to the old HD. e.g. now maybe D:\FAST

Bill;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information

FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find

your data..

Great! This is going to take me into tomorrow, 'fer shur’. Then I’ll
post the jumper/cable bumph. Its enough to make a guy long for the goose
quill and inkwell, and an amanuensis with nice ankles.

rooster

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:eL%23FcEvaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Bill;
>

> Save the FAST file to the HD in a folder such as C:\FAST. Then "slave" it.
>
> Run FAST from XP and point it to the old HD. e.g. now maybe D:\FAST
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> No, you have to do FAST from the old booted system. Much of the information
>
> FAST needs is in the registry, and it needs these pointers loade3d to find
>
> your data..
>

> Great! This is going to take me into tomorrow, 'fer shur’. Then I’ll post the jumper/cable bumph. Its enough to make a guy
> long for the goose quill and inkwell, and an amanuensis with nice ankles.

It's not too tough.. once you run it you'll see what it does.

After you follow Bill's instruction, and are ready to slave the drive, see if this
helps:
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/hd-jumper-pins-ribbon-cable.htm
and
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/hard-drive-bios-settings-partitioning.htm
(just do the sections on this page headed "Insert Drives into Computer and Attach
Power Connectors", and "Boot the Computer and set drive BIOS settings". Do NOT
format or partition...that would wipe out everything, which you don't want.
--

Bill wrote:

"It's not too tough.. once you run it you'll see what it does"

Right. When I was 5, I chased a skunk once; just to see what it did.

The HD likes it's new bay; evidently. I can't get it back out. There
isn't anything to grip and it is wedged quite firmly at the back. In a
paroxysm of what is probably a monstrous idiocy, it occurred to me to leave
it in there, disconnect the power supply to the new unit, and run the old
power supply and ribbon connector from the old computer to the HD with it
still lodged in the new computer. Then do the FAST formatting on the old
unit in that configuration.

Wadd'ya think?

rooster

But that still leaves me with the necessity of getting the specs from the
old HD and configuring the master/slave pins…. and I would be ‘incommunicado’
in the meanwhile. So I guess I’m going to have to make with the screwdriver
and try to remove the entire HD bay ‘module’ from the new unit and prize the
HD out with a tool.

rooster

I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy.
Black screen; period. I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they
appear to be positioned the same way they came out.

In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to access
screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out from the rear access panel
didn’t seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle with
them a lot in order to close the panel holding the mother board.

I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if
I have bebuggered something else in it’s innards.

I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to
retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to an entirely new HD
and proceed from there? Please say yes. That is, if I haven’t destroyed
anything else important in the old unit?

rooster

I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy.
I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they appear to be the same as
they way they came out.

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:eIXWuL7aFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy. I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they
> appear to be the same as they way they came out.
>
> In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to access screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out
> from the rear access panel didn’t seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle with them a lot in order to close
> the panel holding the mother board.
>

> I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if I have bebuggered something else in it’s innards.

Could be the HD, but from what you had to go through, it sounds more like
something isn't connected properly. Does the drive sound like it's spinning
up?

> I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to
> an entirely new HD and proceed from there?

Yes, assuming the drive isn't dead, you can still hook it up to the new unit
and just file copy everything off using explorer.

If you have room on the new HDD, just create a new folder and copy
all data and/or folders over. You can sort it out later with
a 2nd HDD if you want. There are some things I wouldn't worry about.
There's not much point in saving all of C:\Windows, for example, except
for maybe "Favorites". You'll need to pick some data folders out of
\Program files, but most of it is going to be useless.

We still need the information regarding the drive model and how you are
physically connecting it.

> Please say yes. That is, if I haven’t destroyed anything else important in the old unit?

Yes, I'd suggest just doing the file copy to get your data safe first. Then
fiddle with the old box to run the FAST wiz.

FAST was just to make it easier. Things like Outlook Express "email
folders" are a little work to do it manually.

Ouch......
I am still here, rooster, but I don't want to confuse the issues with "too many
cooks", and Bill seems to have a better handle on it right now, so go with his
comments and post back with your progress reports.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> I retrieved the hard drive and reinstalled it in the old unit. No joy.
> I rechecked the power and ribbon connections, they appear to be the same as
> they way they came out.
>
> In removing it the first time, I had to unhinge the mother board to
> access screws holding in the HD. The cards sticking out from the rear access
> panel didn't seem to line up very well after the operation. I had to fiddle
> with them a lot in order to close the panel holding the mother board.
>

> I guess this leaves me with finding out if the HD has finally crashed, or if
> I have bebuggered something else in it's innards.
>

> I am going to install a 2nd HD in the new unit anyway. Is it feasible to
> retrieve my docs from the old computer and copy them to an entirely new HD
> and proceed from there? Please say yes. That is, if I haven't destroyed
> anything else important in the old unit?
>

> rooster

Without a schematic for the motherboard on the old Touch Systems unit,
there is no way to re-seat the access panel cards in the correct slots.
There are just too many variables to make decisions. Descartes wouldn't be
able to graph the cards to the slots based on what can be observed and
measured. With the new computer, I can see at a glance the way things fit to
the MB.

I looked for an identifying code or number on the MB, but I haven't
spotted one yet and the Touch Systems web sites aren't giving me useful
info. Someone with better techno-search skills than me might be able to
discover this, but I'm out of my depth.

My next step is going to have to be to remove the power @ fan assembly
from the top, then remove the HD bracket module, disconnect the ribbon and
power connects from the MB, then detach (unbolt) the rear access panel cards
from the chassis and fit them to what looks like the correct MB slot so I
have an idea of which are the right ones. Then reconnect the ribbons & power
to the MB, replace it (its on hinges), insert the cards where I think they
are supposed to go, rotate the panel back into position, then rebolt the
cards to the chassis.

A major part of my problem stems from the fact that the some of the
cards were originally bolted to the chassis in a stressed position. When I
rotated the panel holding the MB down to access the screws at the back of
the HD, this unseated the MB/cards connects .. a circumstance I was not
anticipating . and the cards sprung into unsymmetrical, not to say
unsatisfying, alignments.

I realize this is a naieve Q, but I would like to know it my docs are
actually retrievable from my old HD or it I am going to have to refit the
old computer and get them from memory stored there. The reason I ask is that
if my attempt at refitting the old unit doesn't succeed, I shall probably
have to spend $80-$160 to have it benched by pros.

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:ej$1meKbFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> I realize this is a naieve Q, but I would like to know it my docs are actually retrievable from my old HD or it I am going to
> have to refit the old computer and get them from memory stored there.

Memory has nothing to do with it. All stored data is on the HDD.
Just hook it up to the new computer (again) but make sure it's jumpered
correctly this time. When the OS loads, it will give it a drive letter.
Probably D:

And again :) what's the drive model, and how are you connecting it?
What cable and location on the cable?

Hi Bill;

I got the old computer running again. The painful ordeal with the
motherboard would have been avoided if I had known there is a spring clip
tucked up behind the HD bracket, invisible from the open side, which
releases the HD assembly. L&L eh?

I am on the old unit now. At the moment, the only posts I can access on
it are the last 2. I am sure I included the specs on the HDD 2 posts back.
No graphic on jumper configuration was evident.

CONNECTIONS
When I added the old HD to the new unit, (and nothing worked) I used
the spare ribbon and power supplies. I didn't appreciate the need to
manipulate the 'jumper' pegs at the back.
FYI: the new unit is using a Western Digital, WD 800, Model WD800BB-22JHAO,
DCM HSBHCTJCH, LBA 156301488.
The new HD has graphics indicating 4 jumper pin options:
"Cable select setting": the way it is now joining pins 1 & 2
"Single or Master": no jumper inserted
"Master with Slave Present": Jumper between pins 5 & 6
"Slave" Jumper between 3 & 4

Re: My DAQ
I did think all the necessary doc info was on the HD. I just wasn't
clear on how to interpret your Rx that required the re-installation of the
HD back in the old unit in order to run the FAST program. Bear in mind, up
until a couple of months ago, I thought a hard drive was making 200 yds, off
the 7th at Glen Eagles, or the way to describe the last time I drove down
from Whistler in a blizzard.

I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.

rooster

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:uqwfOXVbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bill;
>
> I got the old computer running again. The painful ordeal with the
> motherboard would have been avoided if I had known there is a spring clip
> tucked up behind the HD bracket, invisible from the open side, which
> releases the HD assembly. L&L eh?

No doubt some clever engineer came up with the design while
using autocad.

> I am on the old unit now. At the moment, the only posts I can access on
> it are the last 2. I am sure I included the specs on the HDD 2 posts back.
> No graphic on jumper configuration was evident.
>
> CONNECTIONS
> When I added the old HD to the new unit, (and nothing worked) I used
> the spare ribbon and power supplies. I didn't appreciate the need to
> manipulate the 'jumper' pegs at the back.

I sensed that ;)

> FYI: the new unit is using a Western Digital, WD 800, Model WD800BB-22JHAO,
> DCM HSBHCTJCH, LBA 156301488.
> The new HD has graphics indicating 4 jumper pin options:
> "Cable select setting": the way it is now joining pins 1 & 2
> "Single or Master": no jumper inserted
> "Master with Slave Present": Jumper between pins 5 & 6
> "Slave" Jumper between 3 & 4

You don't state if the "spare ribbon" is the empty middle connector
of the ribbon going to the new HD or other device, or if you plugged a
spare ribbon into the empty ATA port. Since the new HDD is set as cable
select and is on the end cable connector (probably black), the old drive,
(set as master now), also needs to be set as CS, if connected to the
middle (probably gray) connector of the same cable.

If two ATA/IDE devices are on one cable, they both need to be jumpered in
either a Master/Slave relationship, or both need to be set as CS. In that
case (CS) the location on the cable determines Msater or Slave. Master on the
end (black) and Slave in the middle (gray).

Some drive controllers (as your new drive above) also have a "Single"
setting, meaning it's the "sole" master, and is the only drive on
the cable.

No jumper "graphics" on the old drive? The manufacturer's usually archive
them on site.

> Re: My DAQ
> I did think all the necessary doc info was on the HD. I just wasn't
> clear on how to interpret your Rx that required the re-installation of the
> HD back in the old unit in order to run the FAST program.

Since you got it working again, you might as well run FAST.

> Bear in mind, up
> until a couple of months ago, I thought a hard drive was making 200 yds, off
> the 7th at Glen Eagles, or the way to describe the last time I drove down
> from Whistler in a blizzard.
>
> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.

WD-40 can work wonders too ;-))

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
>snip
> I am on the old unit now. At the moment, the only posts I can access on
> it are the last 2. I am sure I included the specs on the HDD 2 posts back.
> No graphic on jumper configuration was evident.

Nope....I just reviewed all your posts, and there are no specs listed in any of
them. P'raps the lorazapams were kicking in about then? Post back with any and all
info on the label of the hard drive from the old computer.

> CONNECTIONS
> When I added the old HD to the new unit, (and nothing worked) I used
> the spare ribbon and power supplies. I didn't appreciate the need to
> manipulate the 'jumper' pegs at the back.

By "spare ribbon and power supplies" I am assuming you mean a spare power supply
lead, right? Is the "spare ribbon" a second data ribbon cable that has nothing
attached to it? Or do you mean an empty connector on the same data ribbon cable
that the primary hard drive is connected to?

> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.

Please tell me you just forgot to include the smiley face to go with that, and it is
a joke..........
--

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:OcGYmAWbFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message

>> I can't believe I got the old unit going again. Rinsing the dusty bits
>> off under the tap seems to have made it run even better. A handy tip which
>> I'm sure would benefit many a technician and home enthusiast.
>
> Please tell me you just forgot to include the smiley face to go with that, and it is

I had to read it twice to find a clue to a joke, but then thought.. naw..
nobody being serious would say "dusty bits"..

You gotta' hand it to the rooster, two months ago he didn't know what
a hard drive was, and now he's tearing apart and rebuilding the
whole box.. <g>