Asus Buyers Beware

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Last week I upgraded my socket 754 motherboard to another one that supported PCI-E. As I still had my previous processor I thought, why waste it? However, when installing it, I knew the cpu should drop right into the socket holes in the motherboard, however it did not, and when I applied a little bit of force, a few processor pins snapped and bent.
I had installed cpu's before and never encountered anything like this. I thought to myself it must just have been me and I was too forceful.
The next week I went out and purchased a new CPU, having to downgrade to the A64 3000+ from 3200+ as 3200+'s are hard to find in S754. However when installing again, I knew I was going to be a lot more careful. However, a second time the processor did not go in and instead of forcing it again, decided to take a closer look.
Upon checking each hole with my face about 2 inches from the motherboard I noticed the problem. It seemed that there were some holes blocked by the same material that the motherboard socket has.
You can imagine how angry I was, as all this time it was the motherboard that caused this problem.
When I contacted Asus and told them about the problem, the RMA support just said I can return the motherboard and we will send a new one.
Now I understand that as a customer I am liable to inspect the motherboard, but to what degree? Am I expected to look over every socket and inspect every capacitor? I should think not. When asked about the money I had to spend on a new processor because of their defective motherboard, he just repeated his policy explaining when we ship them out they work and I should talk to my retailer because "sometimes retailers do things to their products".
So I called up my retailer and it seems now their in the blaming game. Both the retailer and manufacturer blaming each other, nobody wanting to take the blame for this defect. When you buy a motherboard do you expect it to have problems if it is brand new? Probably not, but as a customer am I at fault if I don't notice these microscopic problems?

If the processor I had purchased was an FX-60 for $1000 plus, this would be a bigger problem. If you buy a laptop that says, support dvd's, and you insert a dvd and it explodes, is the customer to blame? I definatly think not and retailer or manufacturer is liable and one will have to eventually fess up.

Your thoughts?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Any thoughts? Yeah, your an idiot for forcing a processor into it's socket. While I agree that a motherboard should come working, stuff like this happens. I still can't believe you blame this on Asus.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
If a CPU won't fall into place, something's wrong. NEVER force a CPU in a socket. NEVER. This rash of bent/broken CPU pins makes me chuckle to myself. :roll:

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Ok when I say force, I don't mean push, I mean lightly tap.
While I do agree it was partly my fault, it still bothers me that Asus won't even admit that their product was defective. Always blaming it on others. Basically their telling us it's your responsiblity to check over our products with a fine tooth comb.
By the way, that could not have been the only thing wrong with the motherboard. The mobo socket could have been damage and killed my CPU, Asus has a responsibility to check over their products and even though they say things like this are usually caused by the retailer, I highly doubt it. Hopefully someone out there can save themselves a CPU now knowing my mishap. More money to waste... O well.. :(

-Feller-

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I remember working on old 486 computers before they had the fancy lever. You did have to work at it a little bit.

However, with todays sockets the chip should fall into place using only gravity. I can't even imagine pushing on a chip hard enought to bend/break pins.

wow, just wow.

In life, we all do things we regret. I know I've done some stupid stuff. However, there comes a time when we have to realize, somtimes we are to blame.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
No, actually you're wrong - if there are blocked pin sockets in the socket, then you should realise that right away. I very much doubt that you broke pins with a 'light tap'. If you make motherboards on the scale that Asus does then you cannot possibly check every single one for faults like this. It's not an electrical problem, it's something you could see with your eyes, so it's your fault for not RMAing your motherboard. As for blaming them for the loss of a CPU....

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson, but by your ranting it seems you haven't.
Being a system builder i've seen many things straight out of the box that aren't the way they are supposed to be. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's perfect, man makes them, inspects them, and man isn't perfect.
So in the end it's up to you to inspect the goods you purchase to avoid such disasters in the future.
You do try things on like shoes and pants before you buy them right ?

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
You do try things on like shoes and pants before you buy them right ?
actually...... :p

Ok i'll admit your right, yea it was a stupid mistake, and like you said, man makes mistakes. But all I wanted was an apology for their defect and they won't even give me that.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I remember when they called them ZIF sockets lol the ZIF stands for Zero Insertion Force.... just be carefull and learn from this :) and if anyone else is smart they too will learn from this ! hmmmm maybe Intel is onto something with that LGA thing hehehehe

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Excuse me, I admitted yeah, I made a mistake applying a little bit too much force to the processor but you weren't even there when I installed it. I'm sorry that the motherboard had blocked holes. And by the way, I went the retailer today and was talking to the tech, he said when he talked to the stocker, he didn't even inspect the motherboard before they put it up on the shelves, which he should have done.
I have installed many a processor and don't called me an idiot. Asus made a mistake and so did I. Things happen. I'm out $150 but thats what I get for being impatient.
I even talked to the guys at the retailer and they said they've never come across this kind of a problem before. As I said before, there could have been a million things wrong and it was a combination of 2 problems. Don't go blaming me 100%. CPU = my fault, Motherboard = Mine, retailer and Asus fault.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Retailers do not open packages to inspect products- you buy them sealed from the manufacturer. Honestly, half the time they don't know, or care, what they are selling, as long as it sells.
I'm sorry if I was too harsh in my last post. In my line of work, I am forever fixing problems created by ignorant customers.

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
its possible that your right, but i've had a lot of experience with this retailer and some of the products do come open, such as this motherboard. As I talked to the retailer, they do inspect many products before they sell them.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Yep, some (for a fee) will assemble them and do a burn-in.
I had a MB or CPU go south and it took out a lot of hardware. I had to RMA half my system. i did get appologies but they don't go far towards the price of shipping. It's all part of the experiance, it happens.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There wasn't anything wrong with the board, AMD has certain pins blocked intentionally. You simply put the processor in wrong. You owe THEM an appology for making such wild accusations when the real problem was your own poor judgement.

DavidAutumns

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Not buying now until AM2 Socket arrives

going from nForce2 Socket A (still doing nicely with 32bit Socket A at 3200+ and a 6600GT wih onboard SATA Raid) straight to 64 Bit Socket AM2 Dual Cores DDR2 PCI express

passing GO and keeping my £200 :D

best value motherboard ever the Asus A7N8X -E Deluxe - still going strong since the end of 2002

Dave

desilver

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Now that you know that two or more mistakes together cause problems,
Now that you have learned this ,
Now that you have correctly blamed and pointed fingers.

MOVE ON!