Windows 98 Boot Up Problem

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A few
months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my computer
not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like to
fix it or at least know what to do next.

When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
or corrupt.

HIMEM.SYS
DBLBUFF.SYS
IFSHLP.SYS

The PC also can't find the following file

WIN.COM

I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message

NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
NON-WD DRIVE
ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201

I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows boot problem

    Start the computer, type "dir /a c:\winboot.ini" and press "Enter". If the
    file exists, carefully type "deltree c:\winboot.ini", then confirm the
    deletion. Also, type "edit c:\msdos.sys" and make sure it looks something
    like the following. If not, type the text in, then press "Alt-F", then "S".
    Then restart.

    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C
    [Options]
    BootGUI=1
    ;end

    Ben

    "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D32EBD1B-28A2-424C-85E8-08FA830DF837@microsoft.com...
    > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A few
    > months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my computer
    > not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
    > was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like to
    > fix it or at least know what to do next.
    >
    > When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
    > or corrupt.
    >
    > HIMEM.SYS
    > DBLBUFF.SYS
    > IFSHLP.SYS
    >
    > The PC also can't find the following file
    >
    > WIN.COM
    >
    > I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message
    >
    > NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
    > NON-WD DRIVE
    > ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
    >
    > I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

    Thanks. The winboot.ini file doesn't exist, and the msdos.sys file looks just
    as you stated.

    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > Start the computer, type "dir /a c:\winboot.ini" and press "Enter". If the
    > file exists, carefully type "deltree c:\winboot.ini", then confirm the
    > deletion. Also, type "edit c:\msdos.sys" and make sure it looks something
    > like the following. If not, type the text in, then press "Alt-F", then "S".
    > Then restart.
    >
    > [Paths]
    > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > HostWinBootDrv=C
    > [Options]
    > BootGUI=1
    > ;end
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D32EBD1B-28A2-424C-85E8-08FA830DF837@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A few
    > > months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my computer
    > > not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
    > > was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like to
    > > fix it or at least know what to do next.
    > >
    > > When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
    > > or corrupt.
    > >
    > > HIMEM.SYS
    > > DBLBUFF.SYS
    > > IFSHLP.SYS
    > >
    > > The PC also can't find the following file
    > >
    > > WIN.COM
    > >
    > > I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message
    > >
    > > NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
    > > NON-WD DRIVE
    > > ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
    > >
    > > I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

    Try starting the computer in Safe mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly
    during bootup. If that works, rename the "c:\autoexec.bat" file to
    "c:\autoexec.bak", then restart normally.

    Ben
    ..
    "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A63B3B9-3085-4A10-8F09-38A52FA4DE49@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks. The winboot.ini file doesn't exist, and the msdos.sys file looks just
    > as you stated.
    >
    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    > > Start the computer, type "dir /a c:\winboot.ini" and press "Enter". If the
    > > file exists, carefully type "deltree c:\winboot.ini", then confirm the
    > > deletion. Also, type "edit c:\msdos.sys" and make sure it looks something
    > > like the following. If not, type the text in, then press "Alt-F", then "S".
    > > Then restart.
    > >
    > > [Paths]
    > > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > HostWinBootDrv=C
    > > [Options]
    > > BootGUI=1
    > > ;end
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >
    > > "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D32EBD1B-28A2-424C-85E8-08FA830DF837@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A few
    > > > months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my computer
    > > > not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
    > > > was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like to
    > > > fix it or at least know what to do next.
    > > >
    > > > When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
    > > > or corrupt.
    > > >
    > > > HIMEM.SYS
    > > > DBLBUFF.SYS
    > > > IFSHLP.SYS
    > > >
    > > > The PC also can't find the following file
    > > >
    > > > WIN.COM
    > > >
    > > > I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message
    > > >
    > > > NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
    > > > NON-WD DRIVE
    > > > ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
    > > >
    > > > I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

    First off, is the disk recognized by the BIOS?

    Can you boot to Safe Mode?

    Creating a New Win.com File When You Cannot Start Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;136630&spid=1139&sid=global

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A few
    > months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my computer
    > not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
    > was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like to
    > fix it or at least know what to do next.
    >
    > When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
    > or corrupt.
    >
    > HIMEM.SYS
    > DBLBUFF.SYS
    > IFSHLP.SYS
    >
    > The PC also can't find the following file
    >
    > WIN.COM
    >
    > I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message
    >
    > NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
    > NON-WD DRIVE
    > ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
    >
    > I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

    The diagnostic disk you are using seems specific to WD disks, and perhaps
    your drive isn't WD. Find some disk drive diagnostics for your brand of
    hard drive from the hard drive manufacturer's www site.

    If the drive checks out OK then without knowing in detail the state of the
    files and what might have happened the simplest option is probably just to
    re-install Windows.
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
    W98 RESTORE DISK AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURES.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A
    > few
    > months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my
    > computer
    > not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
    > was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like
    > fix it or at least know what to do next.
    >
    > When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
    > or corrupt.
    >
    > HIMEM.SYS
    > DBLBUFF.SYS
    > IFSHLP.SYS
    >
    > The PC also can't find the following file
    >
    > WIN.COM
    >
    > I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message
    >
    > NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
    > NON-WD DRIVE
    > ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
    >
    > I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

    Thanks. After some searching around, it seems my only option is to format my
    hard drive and reinstall Windows 98. However, my PC didn't come with Windows
    98 on CD or floppy, everything was pre-installed by an independent company,
    so I'm not sure what action to take.

    Not only that, I'm stuck in DOS with no access to Windows Explorer, so I'm
    unable to back any files up, as most folders are inaccessible for some reason.

    Many thanks in advance for some help.

    > Thanks. After some searching around, it seems my only option is to format
    my
    > hard drive and reinstall Windows 98. However, my PC didn't come with
    Windows
    > 98 on CD or floppy, everything was pre-installed by an independent
    company,
    > so I'm not sure what action to take.

    1. Ask the vendor. He is supposed to instal the OS only
    when licensed to do so, and to supply either the instal CD
    or its contents copied to the hard drive.

    2. So search the drive for a file named SETUP.EXE and several
    CAB files of uniform size.

    3. You also need the right DOS boot floppy, available free
    from www.bootdisk.com

    > Not only that, I'm stuck in DOS with no access to Windows Explorer, so I'm
    > unable to back any files up, as most folders are inaccessible for some
    reason.

    If your folders cannot be reached by correct DOS commands
    (e.g. CD FOLDERNAME) you may have a more serious problem.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    As Ben says rename the Autoexec.bat file. If you can't get into Safe
    Mode enter this from the Dos C:\ prompt.
    Ren autoexec.bat autoexec.bak
    Reboot.

    You may have ended up with two path statements in the autoexec.bat
    file and the last one does not include C:\windows. Path statements
    supercede the Msdos.sys file paths and only the last one counts if
    there is more than one.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 04:56:05 -0700, "MLEld"
    <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks. The winboot.ini file doesn't exist, and the msdos.sys file looks just
    >as you stated.
    >
    >"Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    >> Start the computer, type "dir /a c:\winboot.ini" and press "Enter". If the
    >> file exists, carefully type "deltree c:\winboot.ini", then confirm the
    >> deletion. Also, type "edit c:\msdos.sys" and make sure it looks something
    >> like the following. If not, type the text in, then press "Alt-F", then "S".
    >> Then restart.
    >>
    >> [Paths]
    >> WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    >> WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    >> HostWinBootDrv=C
    >> [Options]
    >> BootGUI=1
    >> ;end
    >>
    >> Ben
    >>
    >> "MLEld" <MLEld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D32EBD1B-28A2-424C-85E8-08FA830DF837@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a huge problem I'm having. A few
    >> > months ago I uninstalled a broadband device from my PC, only for my computer
    >> > not to boot up the next time I switched it on. After help on this forum, I
    >> > was still unable to fix the problem and purchased a laptop. So, I'd like to
    >> > fix it or at least know what to do next.
    >> >
    >> > When it boots up, I go directly into DOS, with the following files missing
    >> > or corrupt.
    >> >
    >> > HIMEM.SYS
    >> > DBLBUFF.SYS
    >> > IFSHLP.SYS
    >> >
    >> > The PC also can't find the following file
    >> >
    >> > WIN.COM
    >> >
    >> > I then ran a diagnostic diskette, where I received the following message
    >> >
    >> > NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND
    >> > NON-WD DRIVE
    >> > ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
    >> >
    >> > I have no idea on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

Windows 98 Windows