hdd not recognised

What a day.
Messing with friends computer today doing a total wipe and
re-instal.
All went well til he wanted a 3rd partition, (After we had already
made 2 and loaded on 98 & XP.)
So, not a prob we thought, just wipe XP's partition and create
2 within its allocated megs of space. (40gig hdd, win98 allocated 10gig
and 30gig for xp; this means we could use the 30gig to divide up into
another partition.)
Since then, we have had only problems.
On going back in using Fdisk, we got confronted with it telling us
that there is no hdd neither is there any partitions.
I cannot figure this one out and can only hope one of you guys can.
We tried everything that we know of.
The last thing we tried was to point bios to cdrom and put in the xp
disk in order to use the 'R' for repair......... it runs for a while
then just states that there is no hdd.
Keeping in mind that 5 minutes prior we had created 2 partitions,
C & D, with win98 on C & XP on D.
Both of these ran fine and the Dual option was fully available at boot.

Obviously my friend has no access to help in any way and is now
relying on whatever info I can get from you guys; I will be there
tomorrow hopefully with some good input for a swift fix.

...Rex..
7 answers Last reply
More about recognised

    Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the hard drive is configured
    properly. Use autodetect if available and be sure to save any changes
    when exiting. If this doesn't help, most hard drive manufacturers have
    installation and diagnostic software available for download.

    Maxtor http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm
    Seagate http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

    Ben

    > . . . not a prob we thought, just wipe XP's partition and create
    > 2 within its allocated megs of space. (40gig hdd, win98 allocated 10gig
    > and 30gig for xp; this means we could use the 30gig to divide up into
    > another partition.)
    > Since then, we have had only problems.
    > On going back in using Fdisk, we got confronted with it telling us
    > that there is no hdd neither is there any partitions.
    > I cannot figure this one out and can only hope one of you guys can.

    Are you aware XP and Win98 FORMAT drives using
    different formats? XP uses NTFS and Win98. The
    basic difference is that XP can be configured to
    recognize both types of drive but Win98 cannot
    recognize NTFS drives.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Tend to believe, since fdisk and XP's installer failed to detect a physical
    hard drive (hdd), that the bios fails to see the hard drive as well. Too
    circumstantial for both not to see the hard drive. Unless you're providing
    misguided names for the partitions as hdds. Then, its another story.

    "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What a day.
    > Messing with friends computer today doing a total wipe and
    > re-instal.
    > All went well til he wanted a 3rd partition, (After we had already
    > made 2 and loaded on 98 & XP.)
    > So, not a prob we thought, just wipe XP's partition and create
    > 2 within its allocated megs of space. (40gig hdd, win98 allocated 10gig
    > and 30gig for xp; this means we could use the 30gig to divide up into
    > another partition.)
    > Since then, we have had only problems.
    > On going back in using Fdisk, we got confronted with it telling us
    > that there is no hdd neither is there any partitions.
    > I cannot figure this one out and can only hope one of you guys can.
    > We tried everything that we know of.
    > The last thing we tried was to point bios to cdrom and put in the xp
    > disk in order to use the 'R' for repair......... it runs for a while
    > then just states that there is no hdd.
    > Keeping in mind that 5 minutes prior we had created 2 partitions,
    > C & D, with win98 on C & XP on D.
    > Both of these ran fine and the Dual option was fully available at boot.
    >
    > Obviously my friend has no access to help in any way and is now
    > relying on whatever info I can get from you guys; I will be there
    > tomorrow hopefully with some good input for a swift fix.
    >
    > ..Rex..

    Did you format the 2 newly created Volumes (partitions)? If you did not format
    at least one of them, then the system won't recognize them.

    At the DOS prompt type the command and switch below, then press Enter:
    fdisk /status *Note the space after fdisk

    What is reported for your disk allocation?

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > Are you aware XP and Win98 FORMAT drives using
    > different formats? XP uses NTFS and Win98. The
    > basic difference is that XP can be configured to
    > recognize both types of drive but Win98 cannot
    > recognize NTFS drives.

    XP does not have to be NTFS, it can be either FAT32 or NTFS which is up to the
    user installing it.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Thanks guys for all responses.
    Am fully versed in Fdisk & Fat & Ntfs.

    We made one change today then went ahead and re-did
    the whole thing, no problems at all.
    The change we made was regarding his power hook-up to his
    second hdd. He has his hdd's in those 'cradles' making it easy
    to insert and withdraw. He still had the power going to a second
    hdd but we didnt have the second cradle inserted.
    Now, I'm not saying this was the cause, but after spending a short
    while on it we re-fdisked and created 3 partitions (c d e) and loaded
    on win98 & xp without a hitch.
    Thank you all for the input.

    On another note, and just in case any here can cast their memories
    back, I have another question.
    In Explorer I have my drives named; for instance, "Majesty (C)" and
    so on for D & E. Problem is, I have totally forgotton how I did it.
    Right-clicking does not bring up a 'rename' option.
    Naturally I will do some searching and text book hitting, but if you guys
    happen to know and are willing to share, then you would save me a lot
    of mucking about. I am pretty sure I didnt do it via a Tweak ui or similar.

    ...Rex..

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Did you format the 2 newly created Volumes (partitions)? If you did not
    format
    > at least one of them, then the system won't recognize them.
    >
    > At the DOS prompt type the command and switch below, then press Enter:
    > fdisk /status *Note the space after fdisk
    >
    > What is reported for your disk allocation?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >

    > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > What a day.
    > > Messing with friends computer today doing a total wipe and
    > > re-instal.
    > > All went well til he wanted a 3rd partition, (After we had already
    > > made 2 and loaded on 98 & XP.)
    > > So, not a prob we thought, just wipe XP's partition and create
    > > 2 within its allocated megs of space. (40gig hdd, win98 allocated 10gig
    > > and 30gig for xp; this means we could use the 30gig to divide up into
    > > another partition.)
    > > Since then, we have had only problems.
    > > On going back in using Fdisk, we got confronted with it telling us
    > > that there is no hdd neither is there any partitions.
    > > I cannot figure this one out and can only hope one of you guys can.
    > > We tried everything that we know of.
    > > The last thing we tried was to point bios to cdrom and put in the xp
    > > disk in order to use the 'R' for repair......... it runs for a
    while
    > > then just states that there is no hdd.
    > > Keeping in mind that 5 minutes prior we had created 2 partitions,
    > > C & D, with win98 on C & XP on D.
    > > Both of these ran fine and the Dual option was fully available at boot.
    > >
    > > Obviously my friend has no access to help in any way and is now
    > > relying on whatever info I can get from you guys; I will be there
    > > tomorrow hopefully with some good input for a swift fix.
    > >
    > > ..Rex..

    Glad to hear you solved the tough stuff.

    In Win98, R-Clk the partition, & select Properties to label it. I guess
    it could be the same in XP, but put on your tinfoil hat first!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    | > > that there is no hdd neither is there any partitions.
    | > > I cannot figure this one out and can only hope one of you guys
    can.
    | > > We tried everything that we know of.
    | > > The last thing we tried was to point bios to cdrom and put in the
    xp
    | > > disk in order to use the 'R' for repair......... it runs for
    | while
    | > > then just states that there is no hdd.
    | > > Keeping in mind that 5 minutes prior we had created 2 partitions,
    | > > C & D, with win98 on C & XP on D.
    | > > Both of these ran fine and the Dual option was fully available at
    boot.

    | > > Obviously my friend has no access to help in any way and is now
    | > > relying on whatever info I can get from you guys; I will be
    there
    | > > tomorrow hopefully with some good input for a swift fix.

Partition Hard Drives Windows XP Windows