Fatal Exception OE VXD swmidi(05)

While my daughter was recently trying to run one of her games in the CD-ROM
on our Windows 98 SE computer, we received the following error: Fatal
Exception OE has occurred at 0028:FF09CCB6 in VXD swmidi(05) + 00004A06. She
has previously run this game with no problems.
After the splash screen appeared, she pressed Start and as the disc starts
running we get the dreaded BLUE Screen and the error. I ran Spybot - no
problems - we have McAfee running - and I ran Ad-Aware with nothing out of
the ordinary. Any ideas or suggestions? Reinstall the CD-Rom?
Thanks

You might try reinstalling the game. You might also reinstall the sound card
drivers, using Windows Driver Model (WDM) -listed driver.

See if this provides any clues:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech/browse_frm/thread/3f5ab53c26b46da8/dc8516af77ce4a9c?q=swmidi.sys&rnum=9&hl=en#dc8516af77ce4a9c
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"sheppardwk" <sheppardwk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While my daughter was recently trying to run one of her games in the CD-ROM
> on our Windows 98 SE computer, we received the following error: Fatal
> Exception OE has occurred at 0028:FF09CCB6 in VXD swmidi(05) + 00004A06. She
> has previously run this game with no problems.
> After the splash screen appeared, she pressed Start and as the disc starts
> running we get the dreaded BLUE Screen and the error. I ran Spybot - no
> problems - we have McAfee running - and I ran Ad-Aware with nothing out of
> the ordinary. Any ideas or suggestions? Reinstall the CD-Rom?
> Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I found som midi files on the computer and when
I attempted to play them, Windows Media Player started, but then I received
the Blue SCreen with the exact Fatal Exception error. I then went into
Device Manager and removed the ES1869 Control Interface (WDM) as well as the
ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM).

When the computer booted up it found the "New Hardware" and reinstalled
both. Tried to play a midi file...same result. I also went into Multimedia
in Control Panel and clicked on the MIDI tab. It indicated under MIDI output
- Single Instrument and three choices, ESS FM Synthesizer, ESS MPU-401 and
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. The default or the selected is Microsoft
GS. I switched to ESS FM Synthesizer and the MIDI file played. The game now
works too. A simple trial and error helped solve the problem.

"glee" wrote:

> You might try reinstalling the game. You might also reinstall the sound card
> drivers, using Windows Driver Model (WDM) -listed driver.
>
> See if this provides any clues:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech/browse_frm/thread/3f5ab53c26b46da8/dc8516af77ce4a9c?q=swmidi.sys&rnum=9&hl=en#dc8516af77ce4a9c
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "sheppardwk" <sheppardwk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > While my daughter was recently trying to run one of her games in the CD-ROM
> > on our Windows 98 SE computer, we received the following error: Fatal
> > Exception OE has occurred at 0028:FF09CCB6 in VXD swmidi(05) + 00004A06. She
> > has previously run this game with no problems.
> > After the splash screen appeared, she pressed Start and as the disc starts
> > running we get the dreaded BLUE Screen and the error. I ran Spybot - no
> > problems - we have McAfee running - and I ran Ad-Aware with nothing out of
> > the ordinary. Any ideas or suggestions? Reinstall the CD-Rom?
> > Thanks

Cool....glad it turned out to be something that simple. Thanks for the feedback.