Sign in with
Your question

Four year old case, need a new one [paying for help]

Last response: in Components
April 29, 2006 6:09:32 PM

I've had this generic case for at least four years now. It’s a midtower, extremely crap, no fan slot except for the back end. I’ve had to remove both slide doors just to keep it cooled. Yes I know bad move, lots of dust accumulation. But I didn’t have a choice. I’m starting to upgrade with more and more expensive hardware and it is well past time for a case upgrade.

To the person who finds a case I like, I will donate $10 USD through Paypal to you
. Not much, but hey its free cash.

Why am I doing this? I’m sick of researching, and I can feel my head about to explode.

What I’m looking for:

-Full Tower is a must, nothing less

-Money is a factor, cap at around $130 USD

-At least 6+ internal 3.5" bays (I need lots of HDD space for future HDD raid configs) Main concern

-Excellent airflow Seconday concern

-Reliable (I want a case that will last, not crack apart or stuff breaking off.)

That’s it! If you’re up for the task, post some links.

Here are two pictures of my old case. Yes it's an insult to all gamers out there.

*WARNING*

You see that 120mm fan on the side? How ghetto is that? :lol: 

More about : year case paying

April 29, 2006 6:44:08 PM

Chenming is a good budget choice, lot of room & decent airflow. Not the best looking...
CHENMING 901AD-BLACK-0 $92 shipped

This is a bit radical reverse-atx, may need some atx extension cables... seems to have everything you need.
AeroCool SPIRAL GALAXIES $101 shipped

You could also use the external 5 1/4" bays for the array with this reverse-atx...
AeroCool Masstige $116 shipped

edit: please, no donations - this is fun for us... getting paid would make it actual work
April 29, 2006 7:37:15 PM

I too would recommend Chenming, I've used serveral and they are very robust and have a simple but clean look.
Related resources
April 29, 2006 7:42:47 PM

P180 . Good case with losts of room and good air flow.
April 29, 2006 8:35:28 PM

These are a bit over budget but they are excellent cases

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

This Lian Li is not a Full tower but it is a great case:

This one is way over budget but has everything you want in a case:

For your convenience these are all the Full tower cases on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

Good Luck :-D
April 29, 2006 8:38:03 PM

I saw it too, it's really pretty but also expensive :p 
April 29, 2006 9:18:23 PM

gigabyte 3d-aurora, thermaltake armor, thermolrock eclipse
April 29, 2006 9:49:23 PM

Here's another vote for Lian Li. This one's a mid-tower but it does have a total of twelve drive bays, excellent cooling and is nothing short of luxurious to work in. I kid you not! Oh yeah, it's priced just right too.

Here's one in a full tower for just a few bucks over your price ceiling, with 14 drive bays! Once you've used Lian Li, you'll want to keep using them.
April 29, 2006 10:03:59 PM

@ThunderGodThor

Oh man on, I love the look of the Antec p180. The slid able HDD trays look awesome. No more trying to slide my hands inside the slips of the tangled wires just to plug/unplug something. The only thing is just the layout of the case itself. Is the power supply insert slot on the bottom? The layout just seems wrong to me, if I’m reading it right. Why would you have a heat conductive hardware on the bottom? Wouldn’t you want it on top to get rid of the most heat? Not drive it up to the other components. Im just processing the images from a logical stand point.

@StrangeStranger

The Thermaltake Armor is looking sweet right now. I’ve seen that that picture of a standard Atx mobo inside. Soooo much room, the airflow diagram picture looks perfect. Air flow from all four sides, no way for hot air to be trapped.

@Elixer

The AeroCool is looking good as well, those two massive fans are intimidating, coupled with the 8 HDD bays!!! AHHH

My mind is indecisive right now, I feel like I’m shopping for a new car. I’m going to sleep on it tonight then order tomorrow.

Quote:
first no need for the offer of money, people will help for free

I figured people would be sick of all the "HELP WITH Pc CasE!!111 - Is This CaSe GooD? - Help Me Choose!" threads.
April 29, 2006 10:47:19 PM

The P180 is quite nice.

Lian Li, Silverstone and Cooler Master are great too but also quite expensive.
April 30, 2006 2:43:24 AM

P180 is a very good case, problem the panels may warp but i mena if itwa slike 100 bucks i would get it but i may still get it, its very nice

P180 = mid tower (super mid tower)

i would recommend

Thermaltake Armor
Gigabyte 3d Aurora

and my TOP recommended case

Antec TX1088AMG or TX1050B

the 1088 comes with a 480 Antec Truepower if u dont need it eBay it, the TX1050B comes with a 500w SmartPower once again dont need it eBay it.

the 1088AMG comes with a better PSU.

Besides the lame front doors on these cases, they are bullet proof as some useres like to say

TX1088AMG

TX1050B

Enjoy!
April 30, 2006 3:05:12 AM

It has a upper and lower chamber. The heat wont really go to the upper chamber. Yes the PSU is in the lower camber and not all can be used with it as you need a littler longer cables. To add extra air flow through the bottom you can add a 120mm fan to it. and it has 6 3.5 hd bays. One other thing is it very quiet. As it has rubber boots for the hd's to reduce noise. and also has a layer of sound inlation in the walls of the case.
April 30, 2006 3:45:58 PM

Well folks, after 2 hours of deliberating this morning, I have chosen a winner...

==================

Antec P180:

@ThunderGodThor

I love the stylus look of the front, buttons and the black trim around the aluminum chassis. The number of fans, five I believe is perfect! The inside looks well planned and thought out. but then I realized something...

This was at first my winning choice, but due to the fact that it was not a Full tower, I couldn’t accept. After living with my current midtower for four years, I despise all midtowers. I need motherboard room!! Still recommending this to a friend though, this case still owns.

==================

AeroCool ExtremEngine

@Elixer

The two large fans are ideal to me; the design of the case is awesome looking. The 8 HDD bays are what I’m looking for in a case for the future. But sadly again, this is only a midtower case :( 

===================

Thermaltake Armor

@StrangeStranger

I have decided to get the Armor! It seems to have everything I want:

-From reviews it is extremely sturdy, heavy

-Excellent airflow

-Six HDD bays

-Long lasting from the looks, betting this will last quite some time.

-Future WC installation for my upcoming crossfire project next year.

-And best of all, it’s a Full tower!

Thank you all for your insightful opinions, see you all in the gaming field!

StrangeStranger, pm me your paypal email.
!