old systems recovery problems

I have a HP Pavillion 8660C running WIN'98. I just had to do a format and
recovery of the system. In November when the HD died, I used the same
recovery disks and everything restored without problem. This time, I am
getting errors that MS WORKS isn't able to be accessed, claiming that network
connection is needed. I'm not sure if they are speaking about being connected
to the internet (which did not make sense to me) or if they think the system
is part of a network, which it is NOT. The message for all MS WORKS items is
that (e.g. MS WORD.LNK) is missing or not able to be accessed. Is this a
recovery disk problem or an MS WORKS problem and how do I get my system back
into working order?

There are problems which accompany the situation: new fonts can't be
recognized by Word Pad (which works) or Yahoo Messenger; I can't open any
saved word docs even in Word Pad without getting garbled formatting showing
up in the doc. I've uploaded these backed up documents into email and most of
them showed the full formatted (without the original font however) and I'm
able to save it to the newly restored Word Pad without further problems. I
just can't access any MS WORKS programs.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated. HP no longer has any non-XP
recovery disks available so getting new disks won't work, at least from HP.

According to the information on HP's site, you shouild have more than 1 recovery
disk.

HP Desktop PCs - Restoring Original Drivers and Software
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=59337&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07142

or if the link breaks:
http://tinyurl.com/7glxo

MS Works is part of the software package included with the 8660c and needs to be
reinstalled. For specs and included software see:

HP Pavilion PC Model 8660C (US/CAN) - Product Specifications
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph05319&lc=en

or
http://tinyurl.com/8swww

--