Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

sudden freecell error

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:00:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

i have windows 98 se and all of a sudden freecell has stopped working. when
i start it now, i get the old-school "an error has occurred in your program"
window with "ignore" or "close" options. ignore does nothing, when i hit
close the new-school "the program has performed an illegal operation" error
window comes up. here are the details:

FREECELL caused a general protection fault
in module CARDS.DLL at 0001:00000903.
Registers:
EAX=c0037377 CS=1a37 EIP=00000903 EFLGS=00000a96
EBX=0003efd4 SS=5587 ESP=00001b2c EBP=00001b3e
ECX=81af0000 DS=7377 ESI=00030000 FS=035f
EDX=81af0000 ES=556f EDI=00000015 GS=205f
Bytes at CS:EIP:
83 bf 92 00 00 74 03 e9 fd 00 83 3e 90 00 05 7c
Stack dump:
00150000 7d707fe2 01676c27 4c761b72 1b9d7377 1a370124 000077ea 1b560015
1044030b 030bfe00 fe001044 16af5b88 81af6188 16df01c5 000016af 00000003

nothing has been changed on the system, the error seems to have come out of
the blue! there is nothing else acting up on the system, there are no
viruses or spyware. i tried using the add/remove programs to uninstall the
games, and then reinstalled the games from the windows 98 cd-rom. i even
tried copying cards.dll from the WIN98_60.CAB from the cd-rom over to the
system. i have also tried copying the freecell.exe and cards.dll from a
windows xp machine but they are not compatible with windows 98. it seems
like it is something else besides freecell.exe or cards.dll. i have read the
KB article which mentions ctlmon.exe or something, but that file is no where
to be found on this system (office xp is not installed)! it seems silly that
i would need to reinstall windows again just because of this, so can anyone
offer any advice? i would appreciate any insight. thanks!

More about : sudden freecell error

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 2:19:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

See if this is helpful.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/doc...

Ben

"scar@EFnet.Org" <scarEFnetOrg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2252FBA-3423-47AE-8D7B-ED722A249FFA@microsoft.com...
> i have windows 98 se and all of a sudden freecell has stopped working. when
> i start it now, i get the old-school "an error has occurred in your program"
> window with "ignore" or "close" options. ignore does nothing, when i hit
> close the new-school "the program has performed an illegal operation" error
> window comes up. here are the details:
>
> FREECELL caused a general protection fault
> in module CARDS.DLL at 0001:00000903.
> Registers:
> EAX=c0037377 CS=1a37 EIP=00000903 EFLGS=00000a96
> EBX=0003efd4 SS=5587 ESP=00001b2c EBP=00001b3e
> ECX=81af0000 DS=7377 ESI=00030000 FS=035f
> EDX=81af0000 ES=556f EDI=00000015 GS=205f
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> 83 bf 92 00 00 74 03 e9 fd 00 83 3e 90 00 05 7c
> Stack dump:
> 00150000 7d707fe2 01676c27 4c761b72 1b9d7377 1a370124 000077ea 1b560015
> 1044030b 030bfe00 fe001044 16af5b88 81af6188 16df01c5 000016af 00000003
>
> nothing has been changed on the system, the error seems to have come out of
> the blue! there is nothing else acting up on the system, there are no
> viruses or spyware. i tried using the add/remove programs to uninstall the
> games, and then reinstalled the games from the windows 98 cd-rom. i even
> tried copying cards.dll from the WIN98_60.CAB from the cd-rom over to the
> system. i have also tried copying the freecell.exe and cards.dll from a
> windows xp machine but they are not compatible with windows 98. it seems
> like it is something else besides freecell.exe or cards.dll. i have read the
> KB article which mentions ctlmon.exe or something, but that file is no where
> to be found on this system (office xp is not installed)! it seems silly that
> i would need to reinstall windows again just because of this, so can anyone
> offer any advice? i would appreciate any insight. thanks!
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 10:15:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.
Freecell is the only game having the error. Solitare and Hearts both work
fine. No IMGICON.exe and the mouse pointers are set to "Windows Standard"
(there is no "Default"). Everything else in that article I have already
tried or is irrelevant. How frustrating! Any other ideas?? Thanks everyone.

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> See if this is helpful.
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/doc...
>
> Ben
>
> "scar@EFnet.Org" <scarEFnetOrg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2252FBA-3423-47AE-8D7B-ED722A249FFA@microsoft.com...
> > i have windows 98 se and all of a sudden freecell has stopped working. when
<snip>
> > offer any advice? i would appreciate any insight. thanks!
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:34:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

You might try running the game in Safe mode(tap the F8 key repeatedly
during bootup). If that works, try using msconfig to disable startup
programs until you find the one causing the problem.

Ben


"scar@EFnet.Org" <scarEFnetOrg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DA2F66A-6F51-4F16-84BA-71E66A790C29@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.
> Freecell is the only game having the error. Solitare and Hearts both work
> fine. No IMGICON.exe and the mouse pointers are set to "Windows Standard"
> (there is no "Default"). Everything else in that article I have already
> tried or is irrelevant. How frustrating! Any other ideas?? Thanks everyone.
>
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > See if this is helpful.
> >
> > http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/doc...
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "scar@EFnet.Org" <scarEFnetOrg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2252FBA-3423-47AE-8D7B-ED722A249FFA@microsoft.com...
> > > i have windows 98 se and all of a sudden freecell has stopped working. when
> <snip>
> > > offer any advice? i would appreciate any insight. thanks!
> >
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:33:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

See if this helps, never mind XP in the title, win 98/ME are also mentioned in
the article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304402


--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/



"scar@EFnet.Org" <scarEFnetOrg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C2252FBA-3423-47AE-8D7B-ED722A249FFA@microsoft.com...
>i have windows 98 se and all of a sudden freecell has stopped working. when
> i start it now, i get the old-school "an error has occurred in your program"
> window with "ignore" or "close" options. ignore does nothing, when i hit
> close the new-school "the program has performed an illegal operation" error
> window comes up. here are the details:
>
> FREECELL caused a general protection fault
> in module CARDS.DLL at 0001:00000903.
> Registers:
> EAX=c0037377 CS=1a37 EIP=00000903 EFLGS=00000a96
> EBX=0003efd4 SS=5587 ESP=00001b2c EBP=00001b3e
> ECX=81af0000 DS=7377 ESI=00030000 FS=035f
> EDX=81af0000 ES=556f EDI=00000015 GS=205f
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> 83 bf 92 00 00 74 03 e9 fd 00 83 3e 90 00 05 7c
> Stack dump:
> 00150000 7d707fe2 01676c27 4c761b72 1b9d7377 1a370124 000077ea 1b560015
> 1044030b 030bfe00 fe001044 16af5b88 81af6188 16df01c5 000016af 00000003
>
> nothing has been changed on the system, the error seems to have come out of
> the blue! there is nothing else acting up on the system, there are no
> viruses or spyware. i tried using the add/remove programs to uninstall the
> games, and then reinstalled the games from the windows 98 cd-rom. i even
> tried copying cards.dll from the WIN98_60.CAB from the cd-rom over to the
> system. i have also tried copying the freecell.exe and cards.dll from a
> windows xp machine but they are not compatible with windows 98. it seems
> like it is something else besides freecell.exe or cards.dll. i have read the
> KB article which mentions ctlmon.exe or something, but that file is no where
> to be found on this system (office xp is not installed)! it seems silly that
> i would need to reinstall windows again just because of this, so can anyone
> offer any advice? i would appreciate any insight. thanks!
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:19:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

great thanks! using safe mode, freecell worked as expected. then, using
selective startup, i was able to isolate the problem program. it turned out
to be some spyware! there was a bunch of other spyware on the box also,
which i removed. thanks again ben.

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> You might try running the game in Safe mode(tap the F8 key repeatedly
> during bootup). If that works, try using msconfig to disable startup
> programs until you find the one causing the problem.
>
> Ben
>
>
!