Win98 Location of Executable Files

Hi readers,

I'd really appreciate your help with a problem. Have been helping out a
friend with their computer and ran some AntiSpy software they had already
installed (from Bt Yahoo!). It would seem that in clearing some spyware, an
important file which locates all the executable files has been wiped.

Thus, upon startup, and whenever I want to open any programs, I get a dialog
box asking for the location of all sorts of executable files that the
computer wants to open. It would seem to me that if I just replace this
mysterious file, my problems would be solved.

Can anyone give me any help as to where I might source a replacement or
update what is already there? Thank you!

Dave

"dave_mackie" <dave_mackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'd really appreciate your help with a problem. Have been helping out a
> friend with their computer and ran some AntiSpy software they had already
> installed (from Bt Yahoo!). It would seem that in clearing some spyware,
an
> important file which locates all the executable files has been wiped.
>
> Thus, upon startup, and whenever I want to open any programs, I get a
dialog
> box asking for the location of all sorts of executable files that the
> computer wants to open. It would seem to me that if I just replace this
> mysterious file, my problems would be solved.

We do not follow your reasoning. Is it any less likely
that the registry or startup files (seen via SYSEDIT.EXE)
was altered? If specific damage is associated with a
specific virus or AV software, we may need to know
what it is. What makes the user think it would not
be simpler to reinstal Windows?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

See if the registry patch restores the .exe's for you --Repair .exe
association--from Ron Badour's site:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/reg_files.html

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"dave_mackie" <dave_mackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi readers,
>
> I'd really appreciate your help with a problem. Have been helping out a
> friend with their computer and ran some AntiSpy software they had already
> installed (from Bt Yahoo!). It would seem that in clearing some spyware, an
> important file which locates all the executable files has been wiped.
>
> Thus, upon startup, and whenever I want to open any programs, I get a dialog
> box asking for the location of all sorts of executable files that the
> computer wants to open. It would seem to me that if I just replace this
> mysterious file, my problems would be solved.
>
> Can anyone give me any help as to where I might source a replacement or
> update what is already there? Thank you!
>
> Dave

Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
(Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

Start-Run-msinfo32
Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
Click Startup Programs
Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
Paste that information in your message.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "dave_mackie"
<dave_mackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi readers,
>
>I'd really appreciate your help with a problem. Have been helping out a
>friend with their computer and ran some AntiSpy software they had already
>installed (from Bt Yahoo!). It would seem that in clearing some spyware, an
>important file which locates all the executable files has been wiped.
>
>Thus, upon startup, and whenever I want to open any programs, I get a dialog
>box asking for the location of all sorts of executable files that the
>computer wants to open. It would seem to me that if I just replace this
>mysterious file, my problems would be solved.
>
>Can anyone give me any help as to where I might source a replacement or
>update what is already there? Thank you!
>
>Dave

Copy and paste the following text to Notepad and save it to a floppy as
"a:\exefix.reg". Start the problem computer, tap the F8 key repeatedly
until the Startup menu appears and select "Command Prompt". Insert
the floppy, type "regedit a:\exefix.reg" and press "Enter". Then type
"win" to start Windows.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*" ;
[End]

Ben

"dave_mackie" <dave_mackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFAAF7E3-E606-4C2E-A779-6B27CCB371AA@microsoft.com...
> Hi readers,
>
> I'd really appreciate your help with a problem. Have been helping out a
> friend with their computer and ran some AntiSpy software they had already
> installed (from Bt Yahoo!). It would seem that in clearing some spyware, an
> important file which locates all the executable files has been wiped.
>
> Thus, upon startup, and whenever I want to open any programs, I get a dialog
> box asking for the location of all sorts of executable files that the
> computer wants to open. It would seem to me that if I just replace this
> mysterious file, my problems would be solved.
>
> Can anyone give me any help as to where I might source a replacement or
> update what is already there? Thank you!
>
> Dave

That mysterious file

IS

the virus

don't replace it, fix the problems
http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/FixWin/MiscProb/exefiles.htm

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_