lockups

A couple of weeks ago after turning on my computer and opening OE the
computer locked up while the e-mails were being received. I was unable to get
it to restart with CTRL-ALT-DEL and had to power it off. This happened
constantly over the next few days and seemed to increase. I would try to vary
opening different pgms and the order which I did things to see if there is a
particular method to this occurring. (Does it matter?) Anyway, computer was
off for a week or so. I had a technician come. He did not experience ANY
lockups. WHY??? He checked out a lot. Downloaded a spyware pgm (SPYBOT - are
there big differences from one of these in comparison to others like
ADAWARE?) and ran it. It found around 100 spywares and got rid of them. We
had to uninstall and reinstall my NORTON 2004 Internet security. All in all
it seemed that the problem was resolved as the computer was running perfectly
afterward. AHHH, not so fast. 3 days later just after turning on the computer
and opening OE, it freezes again whilst the e-mails are being received. Is
this a pattern? Had to power it off. Up again and try to run SPYBOT. Freeze
again. Back on and I run system maintenance. Work then for a couple of hours.
Try to print a large PDF file from OE and in the middle freeze up again. At
present I am up and running. But always on edge that it will happen again. Is
there some way to check (like EVENT VIEWER) to see what is happening when
this occurs? Or any suggestions?????
5 answers Last reply
More about lockups

    (1) Compact your folders while offline...
    (a) OE, File menu, Work offline
    (b) OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders

    (2) PA Bear has often said not to let the standard OE folders grow too
    huge. Trim them occasionally by deleting items or moving them to new
    folders of your own...
    (a) R-Clk Local Folders, & select "New folder" to create them
    (b) Highlight a group of posts in the standard folders (Inbox, Sent
    Items, etc.), R-Clk the group, & select "Move to folder".

    (3) It could be Norton just can't handle the Inbox. Turn off it's E-Mail
    scan, some have said.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "LUTRA" <LUTRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | A couple of weeks ago after turning on my computer and opening OE the
    | computer locked up while the e-mails were being received. I was unable
    to get
    | it to restart with CTRL-ALT-DEL and had to power it off. This happened
    | constantly over the next few days and seemed to increase. I would try
    to vary
    | opening different pgms and the order which I did things to see if
    there is a
    | particular method to this occurring. (Does it matter?) Anyway,
    computer was
    | off for a week or so. I had a technician come. He did not experience
    ANY
    | lockups. WHY??? He checked out a lot. Downloaded a spyware pgm
    (SPYBOT - are
    | there big differences from one of these in comparison to others like
    | ADAWARE?) and ran it. It found around 100 spywares and got rid of
    them. We
    | had to uninstall and reinstall my NORTON 2004 Internet security. All
    in all
    | it seemed that the problem was resolved as the computer was running
    perfectly
    | afterward. AHHH, not so fast. 3 days later just after turning on the
    computer
    | and opening OE, it freezes again whilst the e-mails are being
    received. Is
    | this a pattern? Had to power it off. Up again and try to run SPYBOT.
    Freeze
    | again. Back on and I run system maintenance. Work then for a couple of
    hours.
    | Try to print a large PDF file from OE and in the middle freeze up
    again. At
    | present I am up and running. But always on edge that it will happen
    again. Is
    | there some way to check (like EVENT VIEWER) to see what is happening
    when
    | this occurs? Or any suggestions?????

    Hi,
    have you phoned the Tech back yet?

    ...Rex..

    "LUTRA" <LUTRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > A couple of weeks ago after turning on my computer and opening OE the
    > computer locked up while the e-mails were being received. I was unable to
    get
    > it to restart with CTRL-ALT-DEL and had to power it off. This happened
    > constantly over the next few days and seemed to increase. I would try to
    vary
    > opening different pgms and the order which I did things to see if there is
    > particular method to this occurring. (Does it matter?) Anyway, computer
    was
    > off for a week or so. I had a technician come. He did not experience ANY
    > lockups. WHY??? He checked out a lot. Downloaded a spyware pgm (SPYBOT -
    are
    > there big differences from one of these in comparison to others like
    > ADAWARE?) and ran it. It found around 100 spywares and got rid of them. We
    > had to uninstall and reinstall my NORTON 2004 Internet security. All in
    all
    > it seemed that the problem was resolved as the computer was running
    perfectly
    > afterward. AHHH, not so fast. 3 days later just after turning on the
    computer
    > and opening OE, it freezes again whilst the e-mails are being received. Is
    > this a pattern? Had to power it off. Up again and try to run SPYBOT.
    Freeze
    > again. Back on and I run system maintenance. Work then for a couple of
    hours.
    > Try to print a large PDF file from OE and in the middle freeze up again.
    At
    > present I am up and running. But always on edge that it will happen again.
    Is
    > there some way to check (like EVENT VIEWER) to see what is happening when
    > this occurs? Or any suggestions?????

    I have left a message and hoping to hear soon. In the meantime, thought to
    inquire in this medium.

    "Rex" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > have you phoned the Tech back yet?
    >
    > ...Rex..
    >
    > "LUTRA" <LUTRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > A couple of weeks ago after turning on my computer and opening OE the
    > > computer locked up while the e-mails were being received. I was unable to
    > get
    > > it to restart with CTRL-ALT-DEL and had to power it off. This happened
    > > constantly over the next few days and seemed to increase. I would try to
    > vary
    > > opening different pgms and the order which I did things to see if there is
    > > particular method to this occurring. (Does it matter?) Anyway, computer
    > was
    > > off for a week or so. I had a technician come. He did not experience ANY
    > > lockups. WHY??? He checked out a lot. Downloaded a spyware pgm (SPYBOT -
    > are
    > > there big differences from one of these in comparison to others like
    > > ADAWARE?) and ran it. It found around 100 spywares and got rid of them. We
    > > had to uninstall and reinstall my NORTON 2004 Internet security. All in
    > all
    > > it seemed that the problem was resolved as the computer was running
    > perfectly
    > > afterward. AHHH, not so fast. 3 days later just after turning on the
    > computer
    > > and opening OE, it freezes again whilst the e-mails are being received. Is
    > > this a pattern? Had to power it off. Up again and try to run SPYBOT.
    > Freeze
    > > again. Back on and I run system maintenance. Work then for a couple of
    > hours.
    > > Try to print a large PDF file from OE and in the middle freeze up again.
    > At
    > > present I am up and running. But always on edge that it will happen again.
    > Is
    > > there some way to check (like EVENT VIEWER) to see what is happening when
    > > this occurs? Or any suggestions?????

    >"LUTRA" <LUTRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >| A couple of weeks ago after turning on my computer and opening OE the
    >| computer locked up while the e-mails were being received. I was unable
    >to get it to restart with CTRL-ALT-DEL and had to power it off. This happened
    >| constantly over the next few days

    The situation I'd worry about most is that the hard drive may be
    failing, with a bad sector somewhere in OE's mail data set. Thus
    attempts to access that sector bog down in a retry loop for ages,
    while keyboard and mouse are ignored, and the HD LED stays on.

    I'd worry about that, because if the HD fails, you could lose all your
    data as well as your software installation.

    Another possibility is malware within OE's mail data set. Because OE
    hides incoming attachments within the mailboxes (as most email apps
    do; Eudora is an exception), malware within these attachments can
    never be detected or cleaned. If such malware exploits defects in OE
    (or more likely IE's HTML renderer) to try and run, it may lock up.

    To address that, I'd:
    - formally scan system for active malware, as tech hopefully did
    - install Eudora
    - import email from OE into Eudora, thus revealing all attachments
    - scan these attachments with av
    - if +ve, then proceed to "fix OE and delete message", or...
    - ...purge mail from OE and use Eudora instead

    To "fix OE and delete message", do this:
    - apply all patches and updates for IE and OE
    - in OE Tools, Options, disable preview pane
    - in OE Tools, Options, ensure OE is in Restricted Zone
    - in IE, Tools, Options, ensure IE's "Restricted" disallows all
    - note results of scanning Eudora's attachments
    - find the corresponding message in OE and delete it to Trash
    - purge the Trash in OE
    - compact the mailboxes in OE

    There's no such drama required in Eudora, because Eudora stores
    attachments as loose files - so once the av has cleaned or deleted the
    malware file, there's no hidden copy to pose an ongoing risk.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    | - compact the mailboxes in OE

    I already said to compact the mailboxes! Me 'n Bear!

    --
    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
    in message news:ehija1ds9vs30bvqm9uorpsumd66i86tf4@4ax.com...
    | >"LUTRA" <LUTRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |
    | >| A couple of weeks ago after turning on my computer and opening OE
    the
    | >| computer locked up while the e-mails were being received. I was
    unable
    | >to get it to restart with CTRL-ALT-DEL and had to power it off. This
    happened
    | >| constantly over the next few days
    |
    | The situation I'd worry about most is that the hard drive may be
    | failing, with a bad sector somewhere in OE's mail data set. Thus
    | attempts to access that sector bog down in a retry loop for ages,
    | while keyboard and mouse are ignored, and the HD LED stays on.
    |
    | I'd worry about that, because if the HD fails, you could lose all your
    | data as well as your software installation.
    |
    | Another possibility is malware within OE's mail data set. Because OE
    | hides incoming attachments within the mailboxes (as most email apps
    | do; Eudora is an exception), malware within these attachments can
    | never be detected or cleaned. If such malware exploits defects in OE
    | (or more likely IE's HTML renderer) to try and run, it may lock up.
    |
    | To address that, I'd:
    | - formally scan system for active malware, as tech hopefully did
    | - install Eudora
    | - import email from OE into Eudora, thus revealing all attachments
    | - scan these attachments with av
    | - if +ve, then proceed to "fix OE and delete message", or...
    | - ...purge mail from OE and use Eudora instead
    |
    | To "fix OE and delete message", do this:
    | - apply all patches and updates for IE and OE
    | - in OE Tools, Options, disable preview pane
    | - in OE Tools, Options, ensure OE is in Restricted Zone
    | - in IE, Tools, Options, ensure IE's "Restricted" disallows all
    | - note results of scanning Eudora's attachments
    | - find the corresponding message in OE and delete it to Trash
    | - purge the Trash in OE
    | - compact the mailboxes in OE
    |
    | There's no such drama required in Eudora, because Eudora stores
    | attachments as loose files - so once the av has cleaned or deleted the
    | malware file, there's no hidden copy to pose an ongoing risk.

    | Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    | better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Computers Windows